Nate Burleson Speaks On The Firing Of African American Coaches

1 hour ago, Boca BIlls said:

Everything has to be about race even when sometimes it isn't. In the end if you suck you get fired...

Tell me how Marvin Lewis has kept his job for so long? That guy has done nothing...

Agreed.  Everyone is afraid of a "race discussion".  It's uncomfortable!  13% of the US population is Black.   67% of College and NFL players are Black.  GM's in the NFL are hoping a Black HC Coach  can make a difference with the majority of his players.

TRUTH OR DARE to SPEAK !

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Rex got fired after 2 seasons here.

Rob Chudzinsky got fired after 1 season in Cleveland. 

Josh McDaniels lasted less than two years in Denver. 

Jim Tomsula got one year with the 49ers

Cam Cameron got one year with the Dolphins. 

Sorry Nate you have no case. 

Did you actually listen to his video? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tcali said:

7 black head coaches out of 32 teams. wanna do some math?

billionaires own nfl franchises. wanna do a comparison of billionaires by race?

you have to think and argue logically.

I wouldnt mind one damn bit if every nfl coach were black and half the owners were black. But you have to live in reality.

I think the guy is playing the race card.because its not just some dream of his.He actually goes and argues about black vs white coaches and their worthiness without doing

any fundamental,logical thinking.

Could you please list the current 7 black head coaches in the NFL?

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1079771375575990272

all but one on this list (excluding Wilkes) is white (unless I’m mistaken.)

one and done coaches don’t happen a lot, true, but it’s an equal racial breakdown when it does happen.

My point is really that the 1-and-done thing is very rare with HC.  The two most recent examples are SF, and that was considered to be a mess-up at the time.

(If all but 1 is white, then it's not an equal racial breakdown?  but that's kind of a side point)

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm sure he did hear of coincidence.  As a former NFL player, he feels he would like to see greater representation of blacks in different levels of NFL coaching ranks.

If you listened to the video, he was very well-spoken about it. 

Isn't he entitled to his opinion?

Tell me more about Wilks being in over his head. 

I don't know too much about him or the Cards situation, other than that they have a putrid Oline and they over-performed the previous two years with Palmer at QB.

They have a much better team than us.  Yet the few times I watched them they gave very little effort.  I wouldnt say they over achieved in the past as much as they under achieved this season.  

I dont ever think a head coach should be fired after a season but this is the reason he is gone.  I think he should have been given another season to grow.  

4 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I think you need to watch again.  He’s not

implying that it was race related.  Just that he wishes there would be more minority  represention at HC.  I get what he’s saying 

I guess...but where is the representation of race at the player level?

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm sure he did hear of coincidence.  As a former NFL player, he feels he would like to see greater representation of blacks in different levels of NFL coaching ranks.

If you listened to the video, he was very well-spoken about it. 

Isn't he entitled to his opinion?

Sure....and I'm entitled to disagree with it.  Nothing he said was that controversial and he was well spoken.  However, him saying Marvin Lewis was an outlier caught my eye though as he implied there was a racial element to Wilks's firing.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

bull####! Quitter Marrone still has a job. They fired Wilks after just one season? 

The fact that they skirt the Rooney Rule alone is a reason to be upset... it's an absolute JOKE the Raiders got Gruden and interviewed in token fashion, much like many other teams.

Do you know that Anthony Lynn is against the Rooney Rule.  I wouldnt be inclined to interview someone based on race either.  This is football Race isnt a qualification.  Give me the best guy for the job I dont care what color he is.

Anyone that believes a person should get something based on there race is a racist.

• Like (+1) 1

In fairness, some of those guys legit sucked...   Bowles and Jackson both did TERRIBLE jobs... If there's one black coach that got a raw deal, it'll probably be Lovie... IMO Lovie should get some looks for a coordinator gig in the NFL.

8 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

They have a much better team than us.  Yet the few times I watched them they gave very little effort.  I wouldnt say they over achieved in the past as much as they under achieved this season.  

I dont ever think a head coach should be fired after a season but this is the reason he is gone.  I think he should have been given another season to grow.  

They actually have a worse OLine than the Bills. Had key injuries on the line. It's a pretty crappy roster. I think they had 2 first year coordinators too.

5 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Do you know that Anthony Lynn is against the Rooney Rule.  I wouldnt be inclined to interview someone based on race either.  This is football Race isnt a qualification.  Give me the best guy for the job I dont care what color he is.

Anyone that believes a person should get something based on there race is a racist.

How about someone NOT getting something based on race? Intentional or not.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

These conversations are getting so tiresome.  Ironic considering the I Have a Dream speech was about character over skin color and everything goes back to skin color.

Is saying we need less white coaches any less racist?  

I mean, he did weave in a "***** got a bad check/insufficient funds" reference in there, too.  I'm damn well certain that the speech was pretty heavily influenced by skin color.   

49 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Buff, I thought he was going to remain as coach, but when he wouldn’t make some changes it was mutually agreed that he would leave.

my bad if I am wrong.

I think you're probably right as to why he was fired, but Mularkey was definitely fired.  

"In fact, we did discuss extending his future with our team over the past week, but in those discussions about the direction of the team, it became evident that we saw different paths to achieve greater success." 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/titans-and-mike-mularkey-are-reportedly-parting-ways-hours-after-talk-of-new-contract/

I don't know how good of a Head Coach Mularkey actually is, but as our playoff drought got up there in years, I came to respect him as having been the first guy to sound the alarm that things were going in the wrong direction for us.  In his recent stint with the Titans, he took a formerly 3-13 team (though he was HC for 9 of those games) to 9-7, two years in a row.  Beating the Chiefs in the playoffs was a big deal, and I believe there were a couple of questionable calls that helped the Pats advance.  He'll probably never get another shot at HC, and maybe that's just as unfair as anything else being discussed in this thread.  Then again, we should all be so unfortunate.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Nothing to be sorry for you don’t know what you’re talking about. Not a sin. Nagy played football in the arena league for several years. As in, did not go directly into coaching. You picked what? 8 guys? 8 guys to prove your “point” that most coaches did not play any amount of pro football and started coaching from the jump? And you omit the current defending super bowl champion coach in your cherry pickings? Yeah. I am the one that needs to apologize to you. Clearly you should be left alone to spout off nonsense and not be challenged. You’re not ready for it.

I said started coaching early.

You really have to read what you’re responding to if you’re going to attempt to debate it. It comes off as silly.

Here's the problem, it just doesn't look good when 5 of the 7 black coaches are fired in the same season.  However, they all underachieved and as Bill Parcells said you are what your record says you are.  Living in eastern NY I saw firsthand how bad a coach Bowles was.  Lewis outlasted his expiration date by about a decade.  Anyone who saw Hard Knocks knows Jackson is not head coaching material. If Cincinnati hires him, Brown is out of his mind-or wants the #1 pick in 2020.  I haven't seen enough of Denver & Arizona to know what went wrong there other than their records were bad.  

The big question is : Why were these guys who were fired hired in the 1st place?   If they were impressive in their interviews, then didn't deliver on what they said they deserved to get fired.  If their hands were tied by the GM, then maybe he should have been fired too.  I hope their hiring wasn't an overreaction to the Rooney rule & they were hired over better candidates so the owners could feel they were contributing to better minority hiring.  

Whatever the reasons why they were hired, their firings, on a case by case basis are all justified, but as I said in the beginning, it just doesn't look good for the NFL that these corrections all came in the same season. The owners & GMs should have done a better job in their original hires, or maybe in Arizona & Denver provided them with a better roster.  Elway's only success as a GM has come when he lucked into getting P. Manning.  He's living off his name and should have been fired with the coach.  

• Like (+1) 1

Is Mike Tomlin black? He sucks and should be fired regardless of color. So I assume he is white and his job is still safe because well...he is still coaching the most talented team in the league and they are golfing. 

This is crap and Nate needs to check himself. I’d like to hear his explanation on why Joseph got hired in the first place.

2 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I guess...but where is the representation of race at the player level?

Apparently that doesn’t matter. It’s clear though that not enough Caucasian males are being recruited to play football. Something must be done about this! 

• Haha (+1) 1

I like Burleson but not sure what he is getting at . Is he saying those guys needed more time because they were black or that a white coach would have been kept on under the same circumstances?  Maybe one can argue about the Cards coach but I would not call any of them shocking firings  .   Hopefully teams look at legitimate candidates instead of just interviewing the first black candidate they can get to come in.