Nate Burleson Speaks On The Firing Of African American Coaches

I like Nate Burleson a lot and think he’s smart and well-spoken.  I guess of Good Morning Football he spoke on the topic on black coaches getting fired.  He then recorded the video/tweet below as a way to continue the conversation.

I think Nate did a great job presenting this topic and more diversity in leadership positions would be a great thing.  

In the video he cites the Wilkes and Joseph firings as being premature.  I think the problem is that both coaches were not good fits for the situations they were stepping in.  It is certainly interesting that these coaches lose their jobs, but the GM’s who made the bad hiring are in the clear.  

Then again, coaches like Jay Gruden, Doug Marrone (and to a lesser extent Jason Garrett) were given more time, when you could definitely make a case for all of them to be fired.  

So I’m curious to know what your thoughts are.  here’s the tweet from today:

1 minute ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I like Nate Burleson a lot and think he’s smart and well-spoken.  I guess of Good Morning Football he spoke on the topic on black coaches getting fired.  He then recorded the video/tweet below as a way to continue the conversation.

I think Nate did a great job presenting this topic and more diversity in leadership positions would be a great thing.  

In the video he cites the Wilkes and Joseph firings as being premature.  I think the problem is that both coaches were not good fits for the situations they were stepping in.  It is certainly interesting that these coaches lose their jobs, but the GM’s who made the bad hiring are in the clear.  

Then again, coaches like Jay Gruden, Doug Marrone (and to a lesser extent Jason Garrett) were given more time, when you could definitely make a case for all of them to be fired.  

He needs to STFU.  It has nothing to do with race.

• Like (+1) 16
  • Sad 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 5

I think I’m the Joseph and Wilks situations it’s more they were supposed to be defensive guys and their defenses were quite terrible. Even more so for Joseph with the talent on the Denver D. 

If he would like to make a case for more diversity in the GM seats I guess I would be much more willing to listen to that argument. 

Coaches don’t produce they get fired. Some teams like the redskins and jags have been firing a ton in seasons past and elected for some continuity this year. Don’t think it’s a race thing in their cases 

• Like (+1) 1

I agree 2 years, let alone 1 year is too soon to let someone go regardless of color. 16 years was probably a little too long to hold on to Marvin Lewis as well.

7 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I think you need to watch again.  He’s not

implying that it was race related.  Just that he wishes there would be more minority  represention at HC.  I get what he’s saying 

I get what he's saying too, but he wouldn't be saying it if a bunch of minority coaches just didn't get canned. It's kind of circular logic.

2 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I agree 2 years, let alone 1 year is too soon to let someone go regardless of color. 16 years was probably a little too long to hold on to Marvin Lewis as well.

The Browns fired 4 white guys in 7 years!!  Yet they gave Romeo Crennel 4 years and were fine with bringing back Hue Jackson another season after achieving a single win in 2 full years!

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Perhaps he could contrast that with guys like Bowles and Jackson getting far longer leashes than was prudent.

It's not about black and white.  It's about green.

• Like (+1) 9

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I am sick of these race bating pimps.

Like someone else said on here................. STFU.

It doesn't matter if you are purple............ if you can coach and can win, you have a job. Plain and simple.

Exactly.

So tired of every F****** thing being turned into a race issue.

Its why I no longer watch espn.

Go virtue signal somewhere else.

• Like (+1) 6

8 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I am sick of these race bating pimps.

Like someone else said on here................. STFU.

It doesn't matter if you are purple............ if you can coach and can win, you have a job. Plain and simple.

I didn’t take his original opinion as race baiting in any way.  I appreciated how he shares the topic.  My main takeaway was that he wishes his race was better represented at the head coach position in the NFL.  I get what he’s saying 

It ain’t like Koetter got that long in Tampa. And he had to deal with an apathetic, terrible fanbase and an absolute manchild, criminal franchise QB who alienated his teammates and got himself suspended. Where’s the pity for good ol’ Dirk?

• Like (+1) 1