Updated: Steelers open to trading Antonio Brown - Rooney sees it hard bringing him back

Reed83HOF

22 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

He didn't have a knee injury. I thought for the longest time he did, I saw the CBS report before the Steelers game practice. I had no idea he was MIA for 4 or so days. Tomlin knew he'd have to bench him and sent that last minute knee injury for media damage control.

I'm not judging.  Maybe he had pain in his knee.  Probably true for many players at end of season.

I'm just saying his other reported behavior, including skipping a scheduled MRI and the team's Saturday walkthru and not communicating with the coach, are atypical for an injured teammate who wants to play.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not judging.  Maybe he had pain in his knee.  Probably true for many players at end of season.

I'm just saying his other reported behavior, including skipping a scheduled MRI and the team's Saturday walkthru and not communicating with the coach, are atypical for an injured teammate who wants to play.

Has the stuff that Breer reported yesterday been added to this thread? Brown was upset about the loss in NO. Then the team had its vote for team MVP and JuJu won. 

“So he shows up for work, he’s not voted MVP, he is in a bad way, and that carried

over into the walkthrough”

Thats from Breer’s reporting and it’s a direct quote from a Steelers source. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Except that there appears to be controversy as to whether he had a knee injury, or whether that report was a "precautionary measure" by Tomlin.

Normally, players who are injured leave practice with a trainer

They don't fire a ball at their QB and walk out

They are at the facility receiving treatment the following day

If the team schedules an MRI for them on Friday, they show up and get the test

Tomlin said they put AB on the injury report because he complained of knee soreness Wednesday.

Tomlin confirmed that AB did not undergo his scheduled MRI on Friday, did not show up for the team walkthrough and meeting on Saturday, and did not communicate until his agent phoned Tomlin on Sunday am and said he felt better and would be able to play in the game.

It must be acknowledged that's not normal behavior for injured NFL players.  They're allowed to get second opinions, but they're supposed to undergo medical evaluation as requested by the team as well.  A non-invasive test such as an MRI is a no-brainer.  They also communicate with the coach prior to game day.

Now maybe AB was injured, but while we're keeping an open mind, let's put the other side of that "knee injury" designation out there.

I expect at this time of the season, many if not most players could report discomfort or even pain in their joints mid-week.

See above

The Steelers have an issue with their best player because their designated leader is not as well prepared as their best player.    AB is arguably the most polished and prepared WR to suit up since Jerry Rice...........and Ben rolls off his couch in July and plays QB while Tom Brady and Drew Brees leave no stone unturned.     It's been festering for YEARS and I'm certain Brown is deliberately forcing action because nothing gets done about it.   It's not going to be Ben and it shouldn't be the coach and the Steelers have a replacement #1 WR on hand in Juju..........makes perfect sense to deal Brown.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Definite red flags with AB.  With that said he is a tremendous talent and it would be hard to pass up on for the right price.

He may be hard to pass up, but I'd pass him up anyway. Regardless of the 'knee issue,' it's evident now the team expected him to be on the field Sunday. It's clear now his knee was never the problem this weekend, and that he chose himself over team. I wouldn't want a guy like that in the cubicle next to me let alone on my football team.

Of course, that's why I sit at a desk and AB is bouncing around on TV to a cheering crowd while dressed like a Madagascar character, so I recognize that my opinion means little.

Bail on your team in a must-win game to make the post-season? Hard pass from me. 

• Like (+1) 4

Cris Carter weighed in on how disappointed he was in Brown.

Didn't have a fall guy. When will these young superstars learn from the wise HOFer smh.

His agent lost Brown's cellphone and told AB he spoke to Tomlin and Tomlin was totally cool with AB chilling at home before the game. Cmon AB not that hard. Fall guy.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Steelers have an issue with their best player because their designated leader is not as well prepared as their best player.    AB is arguably the most polished and prepared WR to suit up since Jerry Rice...........and Ben rolls off his couch in July and plays QB while Tom Brady and Drew Brees leave no stone unturned.     It's been festering for YEARS and I'm certain Brown is deliberately forcing action because nothing gets done about it.   It's not going to be Ben and it shouldn't be the coach and the Steelers have a replacement #1 WR on hand in Juju..........makes perfect sense to deal Brown.

Now I'm all confused!  Are you lobbying that AB did have a genuine knee injury that kept him out of practice all week, or acknowledging that he behaved atypically for an injured player and probably other stuff was going on (like, everything you say)?

The Steelers may choose to deal Brown, but they'll earn themselves a $21M-$23.5M cap hole if they do, which will make their lives challenging.

On 12/31/2018 at 4:41 PM, Binghamton Beast said:

Why is it that the real Diva’s in this league play either WR or CB?

Steelers are close to having to rebuild.

I dont think you ever have to rebuild when you have A QB and Oline like they do.  I would say they need to Retool.  A few adjustments on offense and D and they will be legit contenders again.

1 minute ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I dont think you ever have to rebuild when you have A QB and Oline like they do.  I would say they need to Retool.  A few adjustments on offense and D and they will be legit contenders again.

This is how I would put it. Ben is close to the end of his career. Therefore i’d bet they are close to a rebuild. That’s probably a 5-7 win team without him this year. 

Brown is a headache so we won’t even consider it.

Brown is also the best WR in the NFL and probably the closest thing to Marvin Harrison you can get. I would give up 9 for him and think nothing of it. We won’t draft a player (anywhere) better then him. Maybe ever. I would absolutely give them anything within reason but again...never going to happen with Bean and Mcd in charge.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Brown is a headache so we won’t even consider it.

Brown is also the best WR in the NFL and probably the closest thing to Marvin Harrison you can get. I would give up 9 for him and think nothing of it. We won’t draft a player (anywhere) better then him. Maybe ever. I would absolutely give them anything within reason but again...never going to happen with Bean and Mcd in charge.

I would be cool with it either way... but I think it could easily be argued that the potential to sure up the OT slot for the next decade and then fill in the wr’s and te’s later in this draft and the next would be just as valuable or arguably more so than 2 or 3 years of play from brown. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

This is how I would put it. Ben is close to the end of his career. Therefore i’d bet they are close to a rebuild. That’s probably a 5-7 win team without him this year. 

I really liked Rudolph coming out of the draft.  I actually believe they already have Ben successor in him.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I would be cool with it either way... but I think it could easily be argued that the potential to sure up the OT slot for the next decade and then fill in the wr’s and te’s later in this draft and the next would be just as valuable or arguably more so than 2 or 3 years of play from brown. 

Yeah I know it won’t happen so I’m not even going to consider it a reality. I would use the FA money to fix the line since the college game isn’t developing Olineman anymore. I would use the draft for all skill pos players. Fant in rd 1. Best WR/RB with the next 2 picks and just keep adding guys that can put points on the board.

• Like (+1) 1