Updated: Steelers open to trading Antonio Brown - Rooney sees it hard bringing him back

Reed83HOF

The more I think about this the more I like the possibility of AB in a Bills uniform.  He comes in as the immediate, unquestioned leader of the WR room and gets to play with an exciting young QB who is in the mold of Big Ben.

I won't be crushed if it doesn't happen, but it would be exciting if it does.

19 hours ago, the skycap said:

Everybody thought TO was gonna be a problem yet he was a model citizen. If the Bills get a chance to get AB, for the right price, they have to get him.

TO jogged around, quit on routes, and didn't impact the Bills offense for the better AT ALL the one season he was here. Not sure he's the example you want to use.

On 1/5/2019 at 2:19 PM, Rob's House said:

I'd give up a 3rd for him, but that's about it. I can't think of too many undersized WRs who continued to dominate in their mid 30s.

At his production, the only other undersized WR in his league is Steve Smith Sr. I think at a certain level of production, your work ethic and whatever drive you've had that's given you success so far has already given you the prerequisite to last as long as you're willing to maintain that intangible. SSS had injuries but rehabbed like he was playing for his first contract trying to break into the league coming from an ACL tear at like 36 with absolutely nothing to prove. 

Antonio Brown is a lot of things, but maniacally hard worker and competitor is the best thing he has going for him. I absolutely see him having longevity.

Side note I love how everybody's writing AB off as untouchable to franchises yet are terrified he finds his way to NE. I shudder at that myself. As much as I hate that organization I think the thing I more respect is they have a culture that supercedes any one players' perceived threat to winning. They've consistently shown the balls be willing to shape up poisonous talent rather than being too scared of the player. Something i'd like to see the culture here become: our team doesn't get ruined by seeking players that fit our mold. Our culture molds competitors for the common goal of winning.

At some point players with a certain level of success have a psyochopathic competitive nature. That's a fine culture to put at the foremost to supercede any other issues that come up. I draw the line at dirt bags.  Hernandez, Ray Rice.. Kareem Hunt (before he's given a grace period), but outside criminal harm to others.. couldn't care less about having a few nutbags. As long as they know they're on the team to contribute to wins.

Primadonna WRs ain't no thang. TO,  Randy Moss: they can be motivated to be the biggest factor to carry a team to.. lose SB's ( go Giants!)

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

2 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

At his production, the only other undersized WR in his league is Steve Smith Sr. I think at a certain level of production, your work ethic and whatever drive you've had that's given you success so far has already given you the prerequisite to last as long as you're willing to maintain that intangible. SSS had injuries but rehabbed like he was playing for his first contract trying to break into the league coming from an ACL tear at like 36 with absolutely nothing to prove. 

Antonio Brown is a lot of things, but maniacally hard worker and competitor is the best thing he has going for him. I absolutely see him having longevity.

Side note I love how everybody's writing AB off as untouchable to franchises yet are terrified he finds his way to NE. I shudder at that myself. As much as I hate that organization I think the thing I more respect is they have a culture that supercedes any one players' perceived threat to winning. They've consistently shown the balls be willing to shape up poisonous talent rather than being too scared of the player. Something i'd like to see the culture here become: our team doesn't get ruined by seeking players that fit our mold. Our culture molds competitors for the common goal of winning.

At some point players with a certain level of success have a psyochopathic competitive nature. That's a fine culture to put at the foremost to supercede any other issues that come up. I draw the line at dirt bags.  Hernandez, Ray Rice.. Kareem Hunt (before he's given a grace period), but outside criminal harm to others.. couldn't care less about having a few nutbags. As long as they know they're on the team to contribute to wins.

Primadonna WRs ain't no thang. TO,  Randy Moss: they can be motivated to be the biggest factor to carry a team to.. lose SB's ( go Giants!)

Agree that AB will probably still be playing 5 years from now, and likely at a high level still.

But biggest difference compared to a TO or Moss situation, is that Brown would be eating up MAJOR cap space and will require high draft capital to obtain.  TO or Moss didn't when they were shipped around.

If someone trades for him, they better have the cap and coaching/locker room to handle him.  That's a big combo and a big risk, given a team will have to part ways with major draft capital

13 minutes ago, dabills21 said:

Agree that AB will probably still be playing 5 years from now, and likely at a high level still.

But biggest difference compared to a TO or Moss situation, is that Brown would be eating up MAJOR cap space and will require high draft capital to obtain.  TO or Moss didn't when they were shipped around.

If someone trades for him, they better have the cap and coaching/locker room to handle him.  That's a big combo and a big risk, given a team will have to part ways with major draft capital

Yeah it's not a good fit for us one bit. But I'll be very interested in his career going forward. I think he'll be just fine and have playoff success on good teams.

He also might always hold a team back from going all the way for many reasons but I think he makes many of the better landing spots for him a contender.

Don't know if it's a possibility, but the Rams are the type to take this gamble.. maybe they shed a Suh and Cooks contract or something and got him. They've been more than willing on mortgaging the future in picks and contracts for troubled talent, plus he'd be getting a quarterback getting better in his 4th year and providing his best offense yet. His best landing spot IMO.

18 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Yeah it's not a good fit for us one bit. But I'll be very interested in his career going forward. I think he'll be just fine and have playoff success on good teams.

He also might always hold a team back from going all the way for many reasons but I think he makes many of the better landing spots for him a contender.

Don't know if it's a possibility, but the Rams are the type to take this gamble.. maybe they shed a Suh and Cooks contract or something and got him. They've been more than willing on mortgaging the future in picks and contracts for troubled talent, plus he'd be getting a quarterback getting better in his 4th year and providing his best offense yet. His best landing spot IMO.

Good call, I could totally see the Rams making that sort of move...and talk about the rich getting richer.

24 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...realistically think either Brown or Bell fit the McDermott Doctrine that we>me?........cranky divas need not apply IMO............

Personally I wouldn't want to take them at all. But for anyone, I think it only makes sense to take them if you think they can help 'put you over the top' to be a legit superbowl contender.

19 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Could Chi swing it? I could see them doubling down on their window if they have the chips/cap to do it

23 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Personally I wouldn't want to take them at all. But for anyone, I think it only makes sense to take them if you think they can help 'put you over the top' to be a legit superbowl contender.

...certainly agree and either or both could do that......but I just don't see McDermott letting his guard down to amend "the process" as far as WE>ME......strictly opinion.....

1 hour ago, Nikademus said:

Could Chi swing it? I could see them doubling down on their window if they have the chips/cap to do it

I think Bell to the Colts would be a slam dunk.. of course the emergence of Marlon Mack makes that a tougher call. Bell to the Packers or Seahawks is a good fit as well.

Troubled players of such talent are absolutely worth going for in a limited win now window. Not exactly the position the Bills are in or should pursue.. although Bell is much less a headcase than Brown and would make our offense amazing overnight.. and perhaps give us the exact same window provided JA is who we think he is (AND USES HIS RB FOR ONCE IN THE PASSING GAME lol)

I'd have to wait and see if JA likes his RBs in the passing game so as not to waste Bell's talents for the pay he'd demand though. JA seems to just need a bevy of good to great -not necessarily elite- WRs, possession guys and elusive route runners is the book I have on him so far to maximize his talent. He spreads the ball and fires fast balls to anybody and everybody that needs the route running skills and hands to catch it. We need like.. 4 Fosters, maybe 2 Fosters and 2 Agholors or Coopers. That and simply a non-JA oriented running game complete with a passable OL (doesn't need to be the best in the league IMO of JA's skillset)

Ultimately finding out what skill position players JA needs to maximize his strengths and cover his flaws is something that needs figured out.. and I think that's running game (easy fix IMO) and superb route runners along Amari Cooper's level.. like a lot of those guys (much harder fix). But who knows, maybe next year he'll show a better picture on how his tendencies are best utilized.. think Nick Foles needing an Alshon Jeffrey for his tendency for jump balls, or Wentz needing the penultimate safety blanket in Ertz.. One WR is much more valuable to one QB than the other. Goff is Brady esque on his penchant for slot type Cooper Kupp rather than burners. Big Ben is fantastic with his RBs on broken plays in the pass catching game.. not every quarterback fully utilizes elite WRs of a certain ilk, TEs, or waterbug RBs.

• Thank you (+1) 1