Updated: Steelers open to trading Antonio Brown - Rooney sees it hard bringing him back

Reed83HOF

50 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just heard Eric Wood interviewed. He said that the culture is now established at OBD and they have enough leaders in the locker room that he would not be surprised to see 1-2 “malcontents” so to speak brought in this year if the talent warranted, and specifically mentioned AB. He insinuated that while the culture was still being built in the 1st 2 years, they may not have considered it.  Just found it interesting. 

Saw that too - McD does want a focus on culture and attitude in the lockerroom, and while his focus is finding guys who put football first, he's open to guys who may have character flaws if they are willing to buy into the system/process and commit to working on themselves.

I think that's the important piece we miss in this conversation about culture - it's not that McD wants character guys first, and only that, and I think Dareus was a prime example of this. We parted ways with him halfway through the season for myriad reasons, but McD attempted to get him to buy into the system as far as I can tell as a third-party reader/observer. Dareus simply didn't want to buy in. It seemed his lack of motivation and commitment to working on himself and buying into the process was likely the impasse the FO and him couldn't get past (among other issues like skipping workouts, practice effort, etc.). 

To me, AB is clearly more the media cancer as his WR drama is of the thread that guarantees sports writers high readership with enticing titles so they will beat his dead horse well into its next life, and exacerbate any transgression into a larger issue than it likely is as it means a higher paycheck for them. But if the FO believes he has the potential to buy into the system and team, and work on himself, they'll forego the past transgressions for a chance to prove himself differently and obtain an elite WR talent in the league for however long. To Woodsy's point here - because McD emphasized culture in his first two years, he's established that base for moving forward, and has identified team leaders to see it through. If they believe that culture has stuck given this, it makes sense they would be open to testing the waters with guys like AB. What's more, I feel this FO would have no issue dealing with AB if he did somehow become a problem for the guys on the team.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/15/2019 at 12:11 PM, Figster said:

Myself personally, trading Watkins was a hard pill for me to swallow. Antonio Brown would help make up for it.

I agree with this, and the timing would be right now that we have a qb who can throw the ball.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/14/2019 at 8:21 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

What I do find amusing is how many people "dont want" AB yet we all know the second he becomes a Bill everyone is going to do backflips and get excited.  

Personally I do not think he will become a Bill because this draft is so rich at WR, I think Beane and McD will look there for a starting WR and use FA to add some quietly vets, like a Humphris for instance.  But if he was to become a Bill, all the people so against will quickly change their tune and lose their minds.  

I’m ok with whatever decision they make.

There are folks in NFL circles that strongly believe that the Bills have heavy interest in trading for him. I don’t buy it personally.

Tfrere are a million ways the Bills could go this offseason.

I have gone back and forth all week on the notion of the Bills bringing in Antonio Brown.

There's no doubt that no single player acquisition this offseason would transform the Bills offense quite like acquiring Antonio Brown. Having him on one side and Foster on the other would be a NIGHTMARE for offenses, in terms of the speed and explosive playmaking ability they present.

HOWEVER...With all of the careful work Beane and McDermott have done in establishing a culture of teamwork, selflessness, and high character, I think the risk is just too great in bringing in such a volatile personality with as much baggage as Brown has. If he was missing practices for a perennial contender like the Steelers, how would he behave on a team like the Bills, who haven't been consistently successful in years? How will he behave if Allen goes through a sophomore slump or fails to get Brown the ball in a couple consecutive games?

All in all, as much talent as Brown brings to the table, I just don't think the Bills can risk it, and I don't think they will.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

He's not a free agent.  You think he'll be cut?

I suspect it won't come down to the Steelers cutting him.  He'll be traded for less than his market value just to be rid of him.  Other teams know this and someone will make an offer to Pitt out of FOMO alone.

26 minutes ago, Logic said:

I have gone back and forth all week on the notion of the Bills bringing in Antonio Brown.

There's no doubt that no single player acquisition this offseason would transform the Bills offense quite like acquiring Antonio Brown. Having him on one side and Foster on the other would be a NIGHTMARE for offenses, in terms of the speed and explosive playmaking ability they present.

HOWEVER...With all of the careful work Beane and McDermott have done in establishing a culture of teamwork, selflessness, and high character, I think the risk is just too great in bringing in such a volatile personality with as much baggage as Brown has. If he was missing practices for a perennial contender like the Steelers, how would he behave on a team like the Bills, who haven't been consistently successful in years? How will he behave if Allen goes through a sophomore slump or fails to get Brown the ball in a couple consecutive games?

All in all, as much talent as Brown brings to the table, I just don't think the Bills can risk it, and I don't think they will.

Everybody thought TO was gonna be a problem yet he was a model citizen. If the Bills get a chance to get AB, for the right price, they have to get him.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bruce Arians didn't say he drafted Antonio Brown.

He said he wasn't the same player that was drafted in 2010.

To which the response is "well DUH"

One of the Bucs writers clarified that Arians did say that they drafted him, and that Arians is 100% correct. They drafted Sanders and Antonio the same year lol

• Haha (+1) 1

A lot of moving parts.  Some of them line up with it making sense for the Bills.  I think one of those is potential synergy with Allen.  Many of the parts don't line up though.  The "me" thing is a factor.  I can see the Bills on the outskirts of this but the teams I see at the forefront:

Sea, SF, Saints?, Raiders, Chargers, Colts?

Dallas and Wash are always in play for anything.