Updated: Steelers open to trading Antonio Brown - Rooney sees it hard bringing him back

Reed83HOF

Trading for AB would be stupid. He quit on his own team. By all reports he's a complete jagoff who doesn't respect anyone around him (cussed out Dick LeBeau). He can't coexist with Poyer, who by all accounts is a team leader on defense. In order to bring in AB we would have to get rid of Poyer, which would screw our defensive backfield up, not just because we'd need a starting S, but how happy do you think the rest of that unit is going to be bringing in a me-first diva at the expense of one of their leaders?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Trading for AB would be stupid. He quit on his own team. By all reports he's a complete jagoff who doesn't respect anyone around him (cussed out Dick LeBeau). He can't coexist with Poyer, who by all accounts is a team leader on defense. In order to bring in AB we would have to get rid of Poyer, which would screw our defensive backfield up, not just because we'd need a starting S, but how happy do you think the rest of that unit is going to be bringing in a me-first diva at the expense of one of their leaders?

Not really sure what you're talking about here with Poyer and AB not being able to coexist.  What happened between the two of them?

edit:  coming into this thread a bit late.  from what I've come to understand about AB, it sounds like he is the type of personality that Beane and McDermott have been actively trying to exclude from the locker room.  I doubt they make a move for him, no matter how talented he is

Edited by berg1029

4 hours ago, berg1029 said:

Not really sure what you're talking about here with Poyer and AB not being able to coexist.  What happened between the two of them?

edit:  coming into this thread a bit late.  from what I've come to understand about AB, it sounds like he is the type of personality that Beane and McDermott have been actively trying to exclude from the locker room.  I doubt they make a move for him, no matter how talented he is

I hope this is true.

Bills can improve many positions this year and for winning in the future.

If they could find five to seven reasonable players in FA who are upgrades or solid projects i would be pleased. Draft BPA generally speaking.

Better the whole team over grabbing an elite player who may or may not fit the mold of a Buffalo Bill.
I would rather get multiple targets who could make plays and a run game than one player who demands double coverage at this point in the Build.

• Like (+1) 1

What I do find amusing is how many people "dont want" AB yet we all know the second he becomes a Bill everyone is going to do backflips and get excited.  

Personally I do not think he will become a Bill because this draft is so rich at WR, I think Beane and McD will look there for a starting WR and use FA to add some quietly vets, like a Humphris for instance.  But if he was to become a Bill, all the people so against will quickly change their tune and lose their minds.  

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What I do find amusing is how many people "dont want" AB yet we all know the second he becomes a Bill everyone is going to do backflips and get excited.  

Personally I do not think he will become a Bill because this draft is so rich at WR, I think Beane and McD will look there for a starting WR and use FA to add some quietly vets, like a Humphris for instance.  But if he was to become a Bill, all the people so against will quickly change their tune and lose their minds.  

and more backflips when Allen and Brown start building chemistry,

Elite WR's want the ball, the responsibility to move the chains, the spotlight and all the money/ popularity that goes with it.

Myself personally, trading Watkins was a hard pill for me to swallow. Antonio Brown would help make up for it.

Brown is a football player 1st I think was McD's comment If I remember correctly...

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Figster said:

and more backflips when Allen and Brown start building chemistry,

Elite WR's want the ball, the responsibility to move the chains, the spotlight and all the money/ popularity that goes with it.

Myself personally, trading Watkins was a hard pill for me to swallow. Antonio Brown would help make up for it.

Brown is a football player 1st I think was McD's comment If I remember correctly...

Agreed...and funny, I use my cell a lot when on this board so I often don’t see all the typos in a post of mine until someone replies and quotes it.  Stupid auto correct and my big hands typing so fast on an iPhone hahaha

• Thank you (+1) 1

Can Allen get him the ball enough? Yes.  If he is the most productive Wr on the team and one of the best in the league will he be an issue? I dont think he will be. Is there an offensive weapon at 9 worth taking? No.  Ab and a 2nd for 9.  Biggest hole filled.  At some point you need guys who are better players than the other teams.  Allens youthful leadership and McDermotts no nonsense approach may be the right combo for Brown.  You have to 100% discuss it and make an effort for it.  Ab, a FA wr and Te opens the whole draft up for Buffalo.  They are making a football team not s bible study group.  He will be motivated to prove Pits wrong, and show he is not a product of Roethlisberger.  Many here felt the same way about Shady and To before they got here.  Both were nothing but professionals here.  

Why would anyone give up assets for him? Let the Steelers deal with him and potentially have to release him. They want what, a 1? Plus a 21 mil cap hit? 

17 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I will be in the not everyone crowd thank you very much.

6 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Can Allen get him the ball enough? Yes.  If he is the most productive Wr on the team and one of the best in the league will he be an issue? I dont think he will be. Is there an offensive weapon at 9 worth taking? No.  Ab and a 2nd for 9.  Biggest hole filled.  At some point you need guys who are better players than the other teams.  Allens youthful leadership and McDermotts no nonsense approach may be the right combo for Brown.  You have to 100% discuss it and make an effort for it.  Ab, a FA wr and Te opens the whole draft up for Buffalo.  They are making a football team not s bible study group.  He will be motivated to prove Pits wrong, and show he is not a product of Roethlisberger.  Many here felt the same way about Shady and To before they got here.  Both were nothing but professionals here.  

So you want to give up a 1 (and maybe more), absorb the cap hit, and have a potential jerk in the locker room? Also, he is on the wrong side of 30. The only one who would win is the Steelers, the way I see it. Count me out on this one.

Just now, billsfan_34 said:

So you want to give up a 1 (and maybe more), absorb the cap hit, and have a potential jerk in the locker room? Also, he is on the wrong side of 30. The only one who would win is the Steelers, the way I see it. Count me out on this one.

Yep.  Rules in place protect wrs.  His work ethic is second to none.  To become a contender you need elite players.  Alot of elite players have egos.  They are not saving the Manatees, they are trying to build a Championship caliber team.  I think Buffalo has a qb that matches Browns ability.  He is a great deep threat, makes contested catches in tight coverage.  I expect Brown to have 3 more seasons of top play.  Would rather pay Brown top money than over pay for a middle of the road Wr in FA.  Terms I would be comfortable with 9 for Brown and a day 2 pick back.  Prefer brown swap firsts with our pick being top 10.  Probably though 9 and get their 2nd if I had to I would take their 3rd.  Same number of picks, essentially trading down and getting brown in return.

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Yep.  Rules in place protect wrs.  His work ethic is second to none.  To become a contender you need elite players.  Alot of elite players have egos.  They are not saving the Manatees, they are trying to build a Championship caliber team.  I think Buffalo has a qb that matches Browns ability.  He is a great deep threat, makes contested catches in tight coverage.  I expect Brown to have 3 more seasons of top play.  Would rather pay Brown top money than over pay for a middle of the road Wr in FA.  Terms I would be comfortable with 9 for Brown and a day 2 pick back.  Prefer brown swap firsts with our pick being top 10.  Probably though 9 and get their 2nd if I had to I would take their 3rd.  Same number of picks, essentially trading down and getting brown in return.

Agree to disagree- guess time will tell how the Bills brass feels about him. 

2 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Antonio Brown has grown accustomed to finding soft spots in the oppositions D when a play breaks down because he knows Big Ben will in many instances extend the play. To me Josh Allen is very similar in that respect and it would not surprise me to see the same type of production from Brown with the Buffalo Bills.

In my humble opinion billsfan_34 

I just heard Eric Wood interviewed. He said that the culture is now established at OBD and they have enough leaders in the locker room that he would not be surprised to see 1-2 “malcontents” so to speak brought in this year if the talent warranted, and specifically mentioned AB. He insinuated that while the culture was still being built in the 1st 2 years, they may not have considered it.  Just found it interesting. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just heard Eric Wood interviewed. He said that the culture is now established at OBD and they have enough leaders in the locker room that he would not be surprised to see 1-2 “malcontents” so to speak brought in this year if the talent warranted, and specifically mentioned AB. He insinuated that while the culture was still being built in the 1st 2 years, they may not have considered it.  Just found it interesting. 

Don't be surprised if they try 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1