Updated: Steelers open to trading Antonio Brown - Rooney sees it hard bringing him back

Reed83HOF

4 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

"You have issues" ? really scathing retort from an internet stranger on a Bills forum.

I don't see much problem with Brown. We blow these alleged "me-first" personalities way out proportion. If you have performed so well for so long as Brown has, something tells me winning football games and giving his best effort for his team is pretty high on his list. The personality issues of one player shouldn't ruin a lockerroom for any coach worth his salt of leading grown men to play football.

I think if he's demanding a trade it's a 50/50. To your point Steelers would be much worse off if they firesale Brown and lose Bell in the same season. They'd likely lose the last of their small window with Big Ben still playing.

Lol.

good points, I agree

11 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Gotta be honest, while we could sure use his talent I do not want players with his me-first attitude on this team. That can be so toxic. 

I would have to know more on the situation but do agree and it could be the dark cloud over him with quitting like that. like you said though, the talent at that position, be nice. maybe another as good or better option will come up? which, with the long off season there is plenty of time to get your ducks in a row.

3 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I would have to know more on the situation but do agree and it could be the dark cloud over him with quitting like that. like you said though, the talent at that position, be nice. maybe another as good or better option will come up? which, with the long off season there is plenty of time to get your ducks in a row.

Yeah, he would be a big investment both in terms of draft picks and cap. Just seems like a huge risk. If he can’t be happy in Pittsburgh with Ben then what would he be like here?  Unless (like you said) there’s something to the situation we aren’t hearing yet that puts him in a better light, then I’ll pass. 

• Like (+1) 2

Promise you, Beane will test the waters although I'm sure Pittsburgh's asking price will be astronomical.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Gotta be honest, while we could sure use his talent I do not want players with his me-first attitude on this team. That can be so toxic. 

More than worth the risk.

Screenshot_20190101-193556_Chrome.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

No way in hell should we trade for Antonio Brown. He is a complete drama queen. I know he is the best receiver in the game but man is he a headcse after reading and hearing all his history in Pittsburgh. No thanks, we got a good thing going on here and in the locker room. 

The question is should we be be concerned about Oklahoma WR, Hollywood Brown who is the cousin of Antonio Brown and are very close? I would be worried about any drama coming to Buffalo. 

20 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Promise you, Beane will test the waters although I'm sure Pittsburgh's asking price will be astronomical.

More than worth the risk.

Screenshot_20190101-193556_Chrome.jpg

Yeah if we're talking of Jerry Rice stats over a handful of way overblown media stories (as people are want to take out of proportion naturally because talented athletes making a stink ticks fans off)... In a vacuum denying that tradeoff is absolutely ludicrous to me.

I can see other factors.. ahem.. Poyer and asking price otherwise tipping the scales but otherwise I'm very intrigued. Disrespecting Poyer is really the only thing I'd unfortunately have to veto getting Brown. I'd hope Beane reaches out to him about how he feels if he pursues the trade and respects him accordingly. Very weird wrench a GM has to deal with but it's absolutely something he should address or consider.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

Big Ben is the issue. He doesn't get along with anyone. I'd take AB and Bell in a heartbeat. But that's just me. If I were Bell I wouldn't want to play with guys that talk badly about me to the media, same goes with Big Ben he blames his WRs everytime he throws a pick.

Imagine your OL throwing shade at you when you consider coming back for the end of the year. Makes your decision pretty easy if you're Bell. 

And Big Ben's the kind of guy to make a media story over not being texted back.. after the dude is no longer a teammate. I don't know what's in the water in Pittsburgh but with better leadership from Ben they could have AB, Bell, and a healthier Connor in the playoffs right now. Instead they minimized AB and Bell's impact on the team cause it's all about Ben. He made AB have HOF #s apparently. He's probably ruined his small remaining career window to win another one if he loses AB. Make your talented high maintenance players happy, that's part of your job Ben. He's the common denominator IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/31/2018 at 4:59 PM, zonabb said:

Can't win with garbage human beings at critical positions and certainly can't win when the aholes take themselves out of the lineup. Selfishness is actually just a lack of maturity, which is unsurprising from a WR. Pretty hilarious the lack of humility from a 6th round pick from the MAC who is who he is because he has a QB to get him the ball. Classic ignorant arrogance. Hope Roethlisberger retires and that tool can't play the remainder of his career with some real bums at QB. 

Love football, hate the NFL as an organization and I never root for players because of losers like this. Every week it's something with these immature babies. 

Just another in a long list of players I root against and won't feel bad next time he gets lit up.

You're certainly projecting a lot here. 

3 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

In the NFL Top 100 players, as supposedly selected by the other players, he came in at #2 behind Brady last year. I'm not even sure he cracks the Top 10 this year. Still an awesome player but like you mention, what does it take to keep him happy????

And if he acts happy and content, the same lot is criticizing him for mailing it in after he gets paid. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You're certainly projecting a lot here. 

I hate those kind of posts. Then again I've been throwing mad shade at Big Ben myself constantly in this thread lol.

But I didn't call him a garbage human being either (although it can be argued he has a way shadier off field past than Brown does). But no.. Ben is just boys being boys, AB is a garbage human being for.. not showing up to practice and failing to acknowledge and appreciate Ben singlehandedly creating AB's HOF career. Interesting.

Just now, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I hate those kind of posts. Then again I've been throwing mad shade at Big Ben myself constantly in this thread lol.

But I didn't call him a garbage human being either (although it can be argued he has a way shadier off field past than Brown does). But no.. Ben is just boys being boys, AB is a garbage human being for.. not showing up to practice. Interesting.

Well the issue with all of this, especially the post I quoted. He doesn't or didn't have a clue what happened and jumped on the first opportunity to trash him.

People don't like athletes doing things in a way that's different from how they claim they'd behave if they were in their shoes. It's annoying. They act like these guys were just birthed out as the best receiver in the world and don't deserve what they get. Brown got to where he is because of himself. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Imagine your OL throwing shade at you when you consider coming back for the end of the year. Makes your decision pretty easy if you're Bell. 

And Big Ben's the kind of guy to make a media story over not being texted back.. after the dude is no longer a teammate. I don't know what's in the water in Pittsburgh but with better leadership from Ben they could have AB, Bell, and a healthier Connor in the playoffs right now. Instead they minimized AB and Bell's impact on the team cause it's all about Ben. He made AB have HOF #s apparently. He's probably ruined his small remaining career window to win another one if he loses AB. Make your talented high maintenance players happy, that's part of your job Ben. He's the common denominator IMO.

I agree that Ben has been known for being a controversial teammate.

From living in the Burgh all my life, here is my opinion:

1. Steelers no longer have locker room leaders to "self control" the team, more on this below.  It used to be Hines, Troy, Farrior, etc etc that were the superstars, but also led that team...sorta like a Kyle Williams type attitude, which can't be appreciated enough

2. Without the locker room controlling itself, it becomes more important for the Head coach to manage these situations.  For Tomlin, early in his coaching tenure he could rely on aforementioned leaders above.

I place the blame on Tomlin, but i know that topic has varying opinions.  He needs to prove that he can manage superstar players without the help of others doing his job.  It will be interesting to see how he approaches the situation and if he can get this team playing as a unit.  Much of the post season player interviews focused on "team chemistry" , and AB and Ben are both part of that problem, it is up to Tomlin to fix that situation.

Not the same, but a possible comparison is the Bulls/Lakers teams of the past, where Phil Jackson was the perfect guy for those situations.  

I think Tomlin has 1 more season to right the ship and return the Steelers to a superbowl

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Well the issue with all of this, especially the post I quoted. He doesn't or didn't have a clue what happened and jumped on the first opportunity to trash him.

People don't like athletes doing things in a way that's different from how they claim they'd behave if they were in their shoes. It's annoying. They act like these guys were just birthed out as the best receiver in the world and don't deserve what they get. Brown got to where he is because of himself. 

Yep Brown is who he is because of Brown. Ben is not the reason he's cranking insane numbers his career. He's not defined as a 6th round pick from the MAC, he's an NFL HOFer if he were to retire today.. who's obligated to carry some monkish humility for being a 6th round draft pick? Tell that to Brady and Fred Jackson. They should carry the shame and humility the rest of their careers lol.

I just didn't respond because it read like an angry post from a YouTube comment. Just a whack *** take that he's not even going to come back to see responses for a month lol.