Dion Dawkins to RT?

YoloinOhio

Is it my imagination, or did Dawkins struggle on the right side previously? The whole opposite mirror thing was difficult for him? Which side did he play in college?

I don’t care HOW they do it, fix the OL and I am THRILLED! 

Edited by Augie

I have never seen him play guard so I dont know if he is any good at that position.  

As it stands I think he is the only guy on the roster right now that I feel ok with starting.  Im not sure about Teller but he could develop in to a decent starter.  That still leaves 3 positions that need to be filled for next year.  I know Bodine is under contract but I see him as a depth player at best.  

The question is how many free agent  OL starters will they be able to ink for next year.  Counting on a rookie to start on the OL is shakey imo. 

29 minutes ago, Augie said:

Is it my imagination, or did Dawkins struggle on the right side previously? The whole opposite mirror thing was difficult for him? Which side did he play in college?

I don’t care HOW they do it, fix the OL and I am THRILLED! 

Played LT in college

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I will be absolutely shocked if we don't draft Jonah Williams at 9 for LT and then move Dion Dawkins to RT.  Then sign Paradis @ C.

We think alike.

Paradis is my #1 hope in FA

an OT in round 1 and all of a sudden the line is much better. Pick up a guard in round 4 or 5.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

He had a down year when literally everyone on the offense had a down year.

He's our left tackle. He'll improve. He's young and had a promising rookie year.

I'm with you. He's proven himself to be at least solid at LT. So people think we should move him to draft a guy who is probably a RT or guard who has not played in the league and has a good amount of question marks. This Williams guy is more likely to be Luke Joeckel than Joe Thomas. 

Unless you are acquiring Tyron Smith or getting Joe Thomas out of retirement, Dion should stay where he is. The grass isn't always greener. 

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I'm with you. He's proven himself to be at least solid at LT. So people think we should move him to draft a guy who is probably a RT or guard who has not played in the league and has a good amount of question marks. This Williams guy is more likely to be Luke Joeckel than Joe Thomas. 

Unless you are acquiring Tyron Smith or getting Joe Thomas out of retirement, Dion should stay where he is. The grass isn't always greener. 

What exactly are the question marks on Jonah Williams?

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

What exactly are the question marks on Jonah Williams?

So many people are saying the dude is a right tackle or a guard. I even read a scouting report that says he might fit best as a center. To me, his upside is not big and his downside is move to guard. To me, if he's a right tackle or a guard you don't take him in the top ten. If he's a left tackle who isn't elite, don't take him in the top ten either. I think he's an excellent college lineman who is really going to struggle at the next level if he stays at left tackle. Anyway, copy and pasting from my long winded post in the Williams post: 

Williams really is not elite. He projects to be very good, but if you really pay attention, he sounds an awful lot like Luke Joeckel. He's a technician, not a road grader, shorter arms, probably better at guard, struggles with speed rushers etc etc. Being a technician sounds good on paper, not so much when Aaron Donald or Jadeveon Clowney are smashing you in your chest. He's 6-5 301...that is long an lean and many analysts have mentioned that he's likely to weigh in at less than 300 at the draft. That's a problem. 

6 hours ago, vincec said:

He was bad at RT last season and played much better at LT. He won’t want to move to guard and if they require it then I’m sure he’ll bolt after his rookie deal is up. It’s not an easy situation.

Here’s what happens. Bills draft a LT... day he’s gonna compete. He competes with Dawkins, Dawkins gets the edge cause he’s not a rookie. Our draft pick plays RT. At the end of the year Dawkins is eligible for an extension. As long as he’s not asking for huge bucks he’s resigned, next pre season the rookie from the year before now beats him out at LT and now we have both signed long term. Dawkins plays where they need him.

18 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I want him at LG, not RT. Problem is, where in the world can we find a decent LT? May just have to leave him there.

Maybe there's one in Cincy we could trade for? Or Philly??

Bottom line is we need to stop trading away our franchise tackles. 

Edited by peterpan

I think it depends completely on off season acquisitions.  If they have the opportunity to bring in someone who has an ideal skill set for left tackle, do it, and switch Dawkins over.   The thing to remember is that Dawkins made an attempt to switch to right tackle (he played left tackle in college) as a rookie, and struggled with it.  I'm not saying he can't do it, but it may not be a quick and seamless transition.

21 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Maybe there's one in Cincy we could trade for? Or Philly??

Bottom line is we need to stop trading away our franchise tackles. 

Did Cordy Glenn help Cincinnati all that much? I know Philly won a super bowl without Peters.

Yes, OL is important, but no single OL position is anywhere near as important as QB, so trading Glenn makes sense if it means filling the most important position in sports for a decade. 

• Like (+1) 1