Shaq Lawson 5th year option on the table

YoloinOhio

For the people debating the value of Shaq’s ability to block passes at the line vs sack the QB, I would submit that the NFL passing game has evolved in a way that should significantly increase the value of DL pass blockers.  Quick slants, WR moving pick plays, etc are the new norm of passing offenses.  These plays are extremely difficult, if not impossible for the DB to defend (boarderline but rarely called offensive pass-interference) and the ball comes out so quickly a sack is nearly impossible to achieve.  These plays are called frequently on important downs such as 3rd downs and near the goal line.  Also slants and other quick strikes frequently turn into huge plays (Tyreek Hill for example).

On WR moving pick plays (Patriots run them all the time) outside of the QB/WR making a mistake, the only surfire way to defend these plays is to bat the ball down at the line.  Shaq has found a niche for this and should improve on as his experience and awareness grows.

This is not to say that sacks aren’t the more impactful of the two... just don’t discount the increased importance of pass defense within 3 to 5 yds of the line of scrimmage given how passing games have evolved.

Edited by Bill Murray

i don't think he's reached his peak potential yet....not sure how high that ceiling is but, i do think he will get better.  i think the sticking point is maturity and that is the number 1 area in which the team may be concerned with.

i've heard lorax as well as murph and tasker talk about him and even though they give him praise for improvement, i did hear the phrase ( still immature ). i think the team will monitor this through the upcoming year and then offer an extension sometime during camp depending on roster moves up to that point.

however....i would not be surprised to see him in a trade deal if mcbeane wants to move up a couple of spots. 

for instance if we say...trade the jags a 4th, a 2020 pick and shaq for malik jackson and move up to 7? for josh allen.

the mocks i see have him going to the jets but,  i think they go dt there (oliver or williams). i really hope we land josh allen.

Edited by billsredneck1

Shaq is just so meh. He's like the Ryan Tannehill of defensive ends. He does some things well(tipped passes, contain, etc), but not nearly enough to warrant that price tag.

I'm in favor of drafting an edge rusher at 9. I assume the option decision precedes the draft so that could tell us quite a bit about the direction they're going. I didn't know you could pick up the option and rescind. Seems practical but a little bit shady. In a perfect scenario, he takes a 4 year/18-20 mil deal, but I can guarantee you someone will outbid that if we decline the option and his performance is even just steady in 2019.

Now way I pick up his 5th year option as he is not a 10 mill per year value. He is a nice OK player but if you give him 10 mill a year it is a hole you will not be able to climb out of, as the next contract will be expected to be at least 10 mill per year, or Shaqs agent is *****.

10 hours ago, Bill Murray said:

For the people debating the value of Shaq’s ability to block passes at the line vs sack the QB, I would submit that the NFL passing game has evolved in a way that should significantly increase the value of DL pass blockers.  Quick slants, WR moving pick plays, etc are the new norm of passing offenses.  These plays are extremely difficult, if not impossible for the DB to defend (boarderline but rarely called offensive pass-interference) and the ball comes out so quickly a sack is nearly impossible to achieve.  These plays are called frequently on important downs such as 3rd downs and near the goal line.  Also slants and other quick strikes frequently turn into huge plays (Tyreek Hill for example).

On WR moving pick plays (Patriots run them all the time) outside of the QB/WR making a mistake, the only surfire way to defend these plays is to bat the ball down at the line.  Shaq has found a niche for this and should improve on as his experience and awareness grows.

This is not to say that sacks aren’t the more impactful of the two... just don’t discount the increased importance of pass defense within 3 to 5 yds of the line of scrimmage given how passing games have evolved.

I was just about to get in on this. Specifically with our dear Friend Bad ol'
The new defenses are smart about passing lanes and qb release awareness. When to look up, for D lineman, release/get off the block and get the hands up.
Zone defenses especially.

as much as  I love Kyle he really was too short for today's DTs.
 continually moving into the passing game  lanes and getting QB sight disruption by scheme is one of the best ways to defeat the short passing game imho. ala Patriots

Shaq is  perfect for what he is being asked to do. This year has been a big step forward for him in This defense.being able to play laterally is important

give him a deal , not the 5th year option. He must know he has more to prove and Buffalo ? is the place to get that done. 

Edited by 3rdand12