Shaq Lawson 5th year option on the table

YoloinOhio

He certainly played as well as Murphy and his attitude has improved considerably. I'd like to see him get another year to compete for the starting job at LDE with Murphy. I think Murphy was a mistake, but maybe it's just getting over his serious injury that held him back. I could see both of them playing better in 2019.

Yes used the 5th year option if you do not get a long term extension done. 

Right now now is the time to do it. He is developing  nicely. But has not “Broke” out with the eye popping stats that will cost big money. So sign sign them to like a 

6 years 42M with 27 guaranteed. You have him at current value and than cheap if he does “break” out 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, boater said:

Buffalo needs to avoid a reputation as a tagging team.

If you have a rep for tagging, that's a turn-off for free agents that visit. Buffalo is going to have a hard time attracting free agents as it is, last thing needed is a rep for tagging.

I would be shocked if they tagged him. He's not worth that.

This draft is loaded with DLine talent.

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would prefer to see the Bills try to work out an extension and not use the 5th year tag.  I like the team better with Lawson on it and he is a good enough player to remain on the team, but the 5th year option is typically a bit more pricey than he deserves for his play.  

Either way - they have the room and I would rather see them retain Lawson than let him go - so my preference is extension first, then option if needed.

17 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

Skip it. IF he plays well tag him....it will cost about the same anyhow and it will keep him hungry.  if not, the Bills just dump him.

If he does play well you risk alienating him with that strategy. Players don't like the tag. 

50 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

I would be shocked if they tagged him. He's not worth that.

This draft is loaded with DLine talent.

This team has far too many holes to create another one and waste draft picks on it. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I won't embrace mediocrity with this team any longer, He is a below average pass rusher that can be upgraded, 10 sacks in 3 seasons is nowhere near good enough imo.

Can he be upgraded - yes, but you need depth on your team.

Would I pay him 10-15 million a season - nope, but there is no reason to get rid of him.

He is good enough to have a long term role and be an important part of this team for many years.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm no cap expert but it looks like he'll make $1.8m salary next year with a cap hit of $3.2m. If we exercise the 5th yr and assume its $10m, then we would get him for two years at around $12m, or $6m/yr. Beyond that, no dead cap money at all. 

That seems reasonable unless you can work out a 4 or 5yr "role player" type contract, like others stated above. 

I'd decline the option, he would make the average of the 3rd-25th highest paid players at his position for this year.  Not 100% sure by I think that's somewhere between 10 and 11 million for a guy who had 4 sacks this year.  You can get his production from a rookie at far less money.

Happy he worked harder this year but it may be too little too late for him.

12 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Can he be upgraded - yes, but you need depth on your team.

Would I pay him 10-15 million a season - nope, but there is no reason to get rid of him.

He is good enough to have a long term role and be an important part of this team for many years.

10 sacks in 3seasons with almost a full season injured is good enough? Man fans really do embrace the suck here. We were ranked 19th against the run, isn't he and Louteleilei supposed to be these superb run stuffers?

On 12/31/2018 at 3:39 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I might be the only one who was confused by Sal's tweet, but to clarify:

1. Shaq is under contract for the 2019 season (unless we trade or release him - unlikely)

2. 5th year option would be for the 2020 season.  Even if Buffalo does not pick up the option, we'd still have the ability to sign as a free agent prior to the 2020 season

At this point, I don't think Shaq has done enough to lock him up for 2020.  Shaq seems like a great teammate and showed signs of improving this year, but his lack of consistent pass rush and slow burst off the ball is still a concern for me.  

This is a very good defensive end draft...if Beane stays true to his word (bpa), if expect that we find a DE in round 1 or 2

You pick up the 5th year option. Easy decision. He was the second best player on DL most of the year. His body finally looks close to what he did in college. It appears he will never be a dominant pass rusher - that skill seems to come early for players. But with Hughes and an OLB that can rush the passer in the draft they will be ok. If he plays well next year then you can extend his contract after the 2019 season. Picking up the option does not preclude making a long term deal.

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

10 sacks in 3seasons with almost a full season injured is good enough? Man fans really do embrace the suck here. We were ranked 19th against the run, isn't he and Louteleilei supposed to be these superb run stuffers?

He is a depth DE that can give you starts if needed.  What exactly are you looking for out of him?

If you are looking for JJ Watt type numbers then yes you will be disappointed, but if you are looking for a player that can give you some nice early down plays both against the run game and the pass game then there is nothing wrong with him.

In 14 games - 30 tackles, 4 sacks, 6 passes knocked down, and 2 forced fumbles for a rotation DE.

If you lock him up at 5 million a season or so and expect similar numbers you are not embracing suck - you are maintaining depth at a valuable position.  If you sign him to a 10-12 million contract and expect him to start and be your primary DE and put up bigger numbers - then you may have an argument, but that is not what they have expected in his 2 years under McDermott - he is a hard working complimentary piece.

Shaq played well this year. He isn't what I hoped and believed he would be because his pass rush has never developed, but he has been a decent contributor in 2018.

Can someone who knows the process explain something for me - Are the Bills allowed to negotiate an extension with him before they make the 5th year option decision? Or is it only the decision on that which unlocks the ability to negotiate an extension? So could they go to him now and say "look Shaq we like how you came on this year, but the body of work isn't worth what we would have to pay you on the 5th year option, how about we decline the option but extend you contract to a 5th year in any event at a lower cap $$ which means if you can back up your 2018 again in 2019 and 2020 in a defense you now know and understand you will still hit FA as 26 year old with an opportunity to make some money?"

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Shaq played well this year. He isn't what I hoped and believed he would be because his pass rush has never developed, but he has been a decent contributor in 2018.

Can someone who knows the process explain something for me - Are the Bills allowed to negotiate an extension with him before they make the 5th year option decision? Or is it only the decision on that which unlocks the ability to negotiate an extension? So could they go to him now and say "look Shaq we like how you came on this year, but the body of work isn't worth what we would have to pay you on the 5th year option, how about we decline the option but extend you contract to a 5th year in any event at a lower cap $$ which means if you can back up your 2018 again in 2019 and 2020 in a defense you now know and understand you will still hit FA as 26 year old with an opportunity to make some money?"

Once they decline the option, they can negotiate an extension like normal. I’m sure they can technically open talks beforehand, but any agent worth his salt wouldn’t agree to anything before the option decision was finalized. Why give the Bills any more negotiation power? It’s like having a mini-franchise tag hanging over your head.