Shaq Lawson 5th year option on the table

YoloinOhio

I find it hard to pick up that option for a situational defensive end whose specialty isn't pass rushing.  He's in on about 44% of the defensive snaps and I think a lot of that was due to injuries.  I think he's done a decent job of contributing.  

Now if they can work themselves out of the Murphy contract - that may be a scenario I can see them wanting a 1 year band aid. 

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

What's the cost of the 5th year option? He is under contract for 2019 so you can let him play it out. I am not sure if I would pick it up. 

We don’t know exactly yet but it’s based on position you play and where you were drafted in the first round..

Looking at last year’s numbers it would be around $9 to max $10 mil..

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

We don’t know exactly yet but it’s based on position you play and where you were drafted in the first round..

Looking at last year’s numbers it would be around $9 to max $10 mil..

If its between 9-10 million I would decline it. Shaq is still here for 2019 so the team can get one more year to evaluate him and if he breaks out he can be franchised and a deal can be worked out. I don't think there are many major players that will be free agents from the 2016 draft class that would require the tag anyway. 

I'm glad they have another 4 months to decide.  Maybe free agency and the draft will give a clearer picture.  

DE is a little thin for the Bills.  Hughes played pretty well but is 31 and Murphy did not impress me that much.  What's left Yarbrough and Mike Love.  

Shaq improved no doubt but $9 - 10 M is pretty sizable for 44% snap count.

Wouldn't surprise me if they picked it up. Some players take a little longer to develop than others. He's shown flexibility by lining up both inside and outside. And he really came on over the last few games. I dunno what Miami was thinking but he and Hughes both embarrassed O'Leary yesterday. If anyone had any remaining questions as to why that guy got cut then there ya go. 

3 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I'm glad they have another 4 months to decide.  Maybe free agency and the draft will give a clearer picture.  

DE is a little thin for the Bills.  Hughes played pretty well but is 31 and Murphy did not impress me that much.  What's left Yarbrough and Mike Love.  

Shaq improved no doubt but $9 - 10 M is pretty sizable for 44% snap count.

I am not sure how you base an evaluation on snap count as Bills like a rotation.

He has improved his play significantly.
I would like to keep him around. How that gets done is above my pay grade : )

No way we offer 5th year option.Waay too much $$ for a guy who’s just beginning to understand what it takes to be in the NFL. Fine Season? Sure, but not top 10 at the position. 

Hes never impressed me as being very bright, so I’m sure he believes he’s worth big buck$. I predict he’ll refuse any long term manageable contract offer and seek greener pastures. Making another hole to fill this off season..

Lawson has improved quite a bit, but the board sentiment before the finale against Miami would have been different. I trust the FO to evaluate the entire season and make determinations based on the long term body of work. This Miami game was kind of like the first Jets game in that the Bills were facing a somewhat disinterested opponent. 

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

No way you pick that up.  He is not worth 10 million guaranteed.

Back to back 4 sack seasons.  Just sign him to a contract extension with multiple years.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I’d offer him a contract for 5-7 million a year for 3-5 years and decent guarantees. I doubt he’d get better on the market.

This is what they should try to do.  Lock him up for a few years.  It gets him back to the bargaining table for a big payday (provided that performance is there) before his career is done.

I'd say you have to try to get him into a long term contract, but the 5th yr option isnt bad if the staff has doubts. We'd get a decent DE for 2 more yrs with no recourse beyond that. 

What would total cost be for next yr and 2020?

Edited by Captain_Quint

3 hours ago, boater said:

Buffalo needs to avoid a reputation as a tagging team.

If you have a rep for tagging, that's a turn-off for free agents that visit. Buffalo is going to have a hard time attracting free agents as it is, last thing needed is a rep for tagging.

This is just false.

We've heard it before.......see Levy/Jauron granting all the player requests to be traded and not tagged..........didn't help in free agency a bit..........in fact it attracted the attention of a certain sharky agent named Eugene who saw a weakness in resolve and exploited it.    

The slippery slope effect was catastrophic.

It finally stopped when Buddy told Aaron Schobel to get bent when he said he'd only play if he could stay in Texas all week and fly in for games.    But even then it cost them a stud pass rusher that probably had 3-4 more years in him.

May this organization never return to that.

The CBA gives you a pimp hand for a reason.   

• Like (+1) 2