Brandon Beane press conference 12/31

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Oh, Richie has most definitely been heard from since the whole paycut freakout.

There's this: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/police-docs-richie-incognito-seemed-to-think-he-worked-for-nsa-attacked-man-at-gym/.

And then there's this: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/police-report-richie-incognito-wanted-to-cut-off-his-dead-fathers-head-at-funeral-home/

You're just being obtuse for fun, yeah? 

Has to be CTE at work. Sounds like he's on the verge of seriously hurting someone or himself.

I give Beane a lot of credit, it takes balls to blow the whole thing up. I give Sean McDermott even more credit for turning chicken **** into chicken salad. If McDermott failed to be competitive with the crap roster, then they both would have likely been fired yesterday.

Very ballsy, if not totally idiotic, risk to take, but it has now paid off in spades. Think about it, the most likely outcome of blowing it up was that our team would have sucked for 2 years, they would “lose the locker room”, and the next coach and GM would be the ones to get to start from scratch from Beane’s picks and cap space.

Sean has built a tremendous culture here in Buffalo. It wouldn’t have been possible with the old roster. The fact that he has mostly been able to clean up the run defense with scheme in years one and two blows me away. I think they nailed the Allen pick, which was another huge risk based on his draft profile.

In fact, Allen’s play has impressed me even more than McDermott and Beane. He was handed the keys to one of the worst offenses I have ever seen and has made it work. If he came in and failed, like they set him up to do, then the three of them may have been gone. The most challenging seasons for  Beane, McDermott and Allen are now behind us. There’s not much left to purge, they just have to sign and draft their people to start filling out the holes on this roster.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Wood extension

Benjamin Trade

AJ McCarron Contract

Corey Coleman Trade

Making Richie take a paycut

Holding onto McCoy

Trent Murphy Signing

Star Signing

Vontae Davis Signing

Boldin Signing

I'm sure there is more too.

Couldn't imagine someone being this bad in less than two years, but these are just the facts

Do not let this guy be in charge of spending the money.

Beane sits there and acts like the whole issue was inherited.  All he has done since being here is overpay and sign absolute crap.

He did all of this with little to no money!  You need to feild a team so he spent what they had in places of absolute need.  Beane has not had a chance to show off his gm skills yet.  Even though behind the scene he is killing it.  $70 million in DEAD money GONE!!!!   THATS CRAZY.   Let's judge Bean in one years time.  What GM wouldn't love $88 million and the #9 pick?  

I also found it odd that Beane rebuked drafting for need, yet, objectively, he clearly did just that last year.

Players on this team (Alexander) are going to be disappointed when we don't use half of our cap space and don't sign any big-ticket free agents.

Edited by The Bills Blog

My view has been to withhold all judgement on McBeane until 2019... and here we are!  The events of the next 12 months will tell the tale... 12 months from now we will either be in the playoffs or we will be on the list of teams who are considering firing and  starting over.  My expectation is that we have the foundations in place for long term sustained success.  

I agree with Beane's draft comments, with a long term view- you will always be better off drafting with a priority on BPA and not need.  That doesn't disregard need... but it means when it is time to pick they should select from a handful of the top players available on their chart with need as a secondary factor.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

He has a terrible track record so what does it matter?!

We would be better off with Pegula up there announcing the firing of Beane than listening to Beane right now.

Good one! Needed to start 2019 off with a good laugh—but seriously, you are joking right? 

19 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

He has a terrible track record so what does it matter?!

We would be better off with Pegula up there announcing the firing of Beane than listening to Beane right now.

I would reply to this, but anyone that seriously feels this way knows so little about football and team-building that it's really not worth the time. Even the sentence I just typed was too much work.

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The work that Beane has done to clear out that cap hell (I dont care if ppl think it was self created...the team wasnt going to go anywhere with the players that it was spent on)

The nightmare is over....90 million to spend this offseason (before we start releasing guys like Clay) and 10 draft picks.....QB room solidified....future is bright

you are such a goofball ! 

You know that right?

I think we can find positive and negative to hash over.
 to me ? nothing is proven and this season is going to the metering stick for me.

he needs to field a viable team day one of OTAs.
  Not thrilled with their Pro scouting , that's for sure.

Jury is still out for me with Beane .

always enjoy your posts John 

: )

13 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Have you read your username recently?  

You certainly are a fine fellow with the details.
thanks for the chuckle : )

13 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I'm glad you finally figured out that the players Whaley and earlier regimes acquired weren't "going to go anywhere."  

You assume they're going to nail the entire off-season and rebuild the offense with all those cap dollars and 10 draft picks (3 of which are in rounds 1-3).  

All this from a HC/GM who entered the 2018 season with Nathan Peterman and Josh Allen at QB. The same duo who didn't think it necessary to have a veteran on hand.  The same pair who acknowledged this mistake by signing Barkley and Anderson before the 2018 calendar flipped to 2019.  

The same pair who've invested so many resources into a defense without doing much of anything on offense.  And, what they have done on offense (Jones, Dawkins) who have underwhelmed.  (Cue the Robert Foster reference)

The same HC/GM combination that admitted late this season they needed more speed at WR.  Or, traded picks to acquire Kelvin Benjamin who flamed out before he could complete a full season.  And all this knowing their QB was someone with a big arm that excels throwing the intermediate and deeper routes.   

In short, the planning on the more critical side of the ball has been nothing short of a cluster.  And now you're expecting they'll go from 6 wins to 10 or more given all this?  

It's a bridge too far to take a step back from year 1 to 2 and then expect a huge leap forward in year 3.  With 90M in cap dollars or not. 

I respect this opinion

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I do as well. 

Have you noticed the shelf life of trolls around here?

got an egg timer?

old school hourglass and sand vs gravity method acceptable ?

3 hours ago, Mark92 said:

He did all of this with little to no money!  You need to feild a team so he spent what they had in places of absolute need.  Beane has not had a chance to show off his gm skills yet.  Even though behind the scene he is killing it.  $70 million in DEAD money GONE!!!!   THATS CRAZY.   Let's judge Bean in one years time.  What GM wouldn't love $88 million and the #9 pick?  

A reminder.........the salary cap is VERY, VERY malleable.

McBeane's self-imposed lack of 2018 cap room had nothing to do with their inability to stock the roster.

If they wanted a player last offseason they could have can signed him to a very low first year base and back-fill the remaining years with higher base salaries.

Teams are even keeping signing bonuses down by guaranteeing a season or two of large base salaries.............so they don't end up burying dead money in years 3-5 if they decide to cut bait.    It also makes the players easier to trade.

Essentially what McBeane has done is re-institute Ralph and Littman's "cash to the cap" approach.   That allowed Ralph to pocket an extra $20M-$40M every year during the drought.

Since they took over Ralph's painfully frugal enterprise the Pegula's had one brief foray into bigger spending with the Clay, Harvin, McCoy, Dareus, Glenn contracts.

They overpaid due to need for Clay and gave away a lot of unnecessary money to McCoy(whose Eagles contract ran thru 2017) and gave Terry Pegula's buddy Todd France(Dareus agent) a sweetheart deal which Dareus abused...........but they weren't BY ANY MEANS in any tough situation long term wrt the salary cap.     They might have had only $60M-$70M to spend in FA this year instead of $90M and $90M instead of $120M in 2020.  

The narrative that the Bills were in cap difficulty is a fallacy.

6 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

I give Beane a lot of credit, it takes balls to blow the whole thing up. I give Sean McDermott even more credit for turning chicken **** into chicken salad. If McDermott failed to be competitive with the crap roster, then they both would have likely been fired yesterday.

Very ballsy, if not totally idiotic, risk to take, but it has now paid off in spades. Think about it, the most likely outcome of blowing it up was that our team would have sucked for 2 years, they would “lose the locker room”, and the next coach and GM would be the ones to get to start from scratch from Beane’s picks and cap space.

Sean has built a tremendous culture here in Buffalo. It wouldn’t have been possible with the old roster. The fact that he has mostly been able to clean up the run defense with scheme in years one and two blows me away. I think they nailed the Allen pick, which was another huge risk based on his draft profile.

In fact, Allen’s play has impressed me even more than McDermott and Beane. He was handed the keys to one of the worst offenses I have ever seen and has made it work. If he came in and failed, like they set him up to do, then the three of them may have been gone. The most challenging seasons for  Beane, McDermott and Allen are now behind us. There’s not much left to purge, they just have to sign and draft their people to start filling out the holes on this roster.

That has been my contention this whole season

It takes guts to do what Beane and McD did this past year.......in years where NFL teams will draft rookie QBs like they did with the cards and jets....start them....then can their head coaches because the win loss record was not good?   The bills didnt even bother to try to sign free agent backups like the card and the jets did......had the bad win loss record.....and STILL stuck to their plan and HC and GM remain.

I think the heat turns up now......but at least Beane is in a position to bring in talent.

By the way....McD?  Our team came to play nearly every week of this year DESPITE the fact that they were outgunned most weeks........and that speaks a lot on the coach.

I have a very good feeling about this next year.....we may not get all the way to the Super Bowl....but I feel like this team is going to be much improved.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

This is the winning formula.  It’s rare that big name FA signings live up to the hype and money.

Except that if you draft well, when players come up for FA you won't be able to sign them because they are too expensive.  See Robert Woods and Happy Gilmore.

16 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Did you listen to Beane when he came here.  He said the #1 priority was to get a franchise QB.  So of course he gave away multiple picks to draft a QB, just like 10 GMs did of the last 11 QBs taken in the 1st round of recent NFL drafts.  

He didn't sign Dareus, Glenn or Taylor to their ridiculous contracts.  McCarron was a mistake, but at least he got a draft choice when they figured out he was a bum.  Coleman was a risk to try to upgrade the worst WR corps in the league.  

Why should we care that you don't trust Beane's talent judgement, his track record in his 1st rookie class indicates he's pretty good at talent evaluation.  

Cutting or trading away the players is what creates the dead money. They could have kept Dareus for the same amount of cap space they used for Star. 

Coleman was bad judgement.

Murphy was bad and overpaid 

Bodine was at best adequate

Ivory was overpaid.

Vontae Davis

Jury is still most decidedly out on Edmunds. He was never great, adequate at times,  and borderline awful half of the time.  He could be a superstar but no one knows.

I was actually fine with the KB trade at the time. He should have been great in a contract year. Very odd how it all played out.

And both Beane and McD chose Peterman over TT and McCarron. That is a lack of judgement.

Harrison Phillips was terrible. Ray Ray was terrible. Neal only play special teams and wasn't very good at that.

But Allen showed that he has a chance to be great. He can make throws only 3 other guys in the league can make. He was the QB I wanted most and he was ok. 

The 2018 team was worse in year 2. It didn't need to be. 

But its all water under the bridge now. 

Let's hope he knows what to do next.

Fix the o-line, find an OLB that can rush the passer, and get a WR that isnt a head case.

• Thank you (+1) 1

"Cutting or trading away the players is what creates the dead money. They could have kept Dareus for the same amount of cap space they used for Star."

Dareus was a problem in the locker room & off the field.  Late for meetings, drugs, drag racing, etc.    They couldn't have kept Dareus and preached process.  

I haven't heard any negative stuff about Star off the field.

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1