The Buffalo Bills - a stable and well-run organization?

WideNine

On 12/31/2018 at 11:15 AM, WideNine said:

Who would've thought, but I look around the league and it is one dumpster fire after the next...

Credit the Pegulas for this at least, the Bills no longer seem to be THAT organization. Now if it can translate into serious progress next year, then even better,

The. Sports Bar show (ESPN Radio Rochester) regularly points out the Bills franchise is in better shape than many: stable ownership and front office , promising staff, already have franchise QB,young core...10 draft picks and substantial cap space

On 12/31/2018 at 8:29 AM, vorpma said:

2019 will make or break the current regime, especially the next six months; I too am optimistic! What some fail to understand is this is not just a team rebuild but an organizational rebuild from 17 years of accepted mediocrity!

So that's what Trust the Process and Change the Culture mean....

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/31/2018 at 11:15 AM, WideNine said:

Who would've thought, but I look around the league and it is one dumpster fire after the next...

Credit the Pegulas for this at least, the Bills no longer seem to be THAT organization. Now if it can translate into serious progress next year, then even better,

Yeah a few games into the season this did not appear to be the case.  There is much riding on Josh Allen taking steps forward next season.  Stability in the NFL is fleeting.  If the Bills are to climb out of the hole completely they have to have another very solid draft.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm suggesting they are wrong a lot. Like I said, you think they really pay attention to what the Bills are doing? 

I recall Boomer on WFAN questioning what the ***** the Bills were doing prior to the 2017 season and trading Dareus and Watkins. 

Haven't you been shitting on the nonoptimistic fans for the past 20 years? ? Don't worry. You'll be right one of these years. 

He will be right next year

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/31/2018 at 8:59 AM, hondo in seattle said:

Coach  Cowher says McD is on of the best coaches in the NFL.

KW talks highly of both Beane and McD.

Cowher said the same about Chan Gailey.

McD played Peterman in multiple games. He knows the MBA verbiage but can he make the right decisions in crunch time. Clock management has been a bit weak but not awful. Oddly worse before the half.  Challenges have been terrible. 

His teams get blown out routinely. But the players seem to bounce back quick. That is a sign of good coaching. Penalties were ridiculous this year and many were not effort penalties. They were pre snap, formation, too many men on the field, and others that point to poor coaching.

Most on this board want him to blitz more. But the NFL game is about winning one on one matchups and not giving up the big play.  I would still favor a bit more aggressive play calling on defense. But if the upgrade the OLB spot with a real pass rush threat then they won't need to blitz that often.

I'm not sold on Daboll either. But get the offense three new starters on the Oline and a WR and see what McD and Daboll can do next year.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:03 AM, SCBills said:

2019 will tell us a lot, but so far, they seem to be making all the right moves.  

After the whole Peterman debacle, they learned and locked down Barkley and Anderson already.  

We finished 6-10 with a rookie QB and the least amount of talent in the NFL on Offense surrounding said QB.  Guys played hard all the way to the end and they seem to have a true family atmosphere on this squad.  

Our drafts have looked great under McBeane and now we get to see what they do with a boatload of cap space.  

This year was about developing Allen and young talent. I think that was an overwhelming success.  

Exciting times!

I really believe it was more important to get us out of cap purgatory and develop the younger players..  We had too many bad contracts holding us back.  Honestly the only mistake they made was not bringing in a solid QB to start ahead (or backup) Allen.  If we didn't have to deal with Peterman or Anderson were probably looking at 8-8 or even 9-7.  

I'm excited that we have a coach the players love and respect, former players and coaches respect the heck out of, finally a franchise QB.  A number 1 defense.  $90 million in cap space and a ton of picks.  

I'm more excited for this off season than I was for the season.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They were pre snap, formation, too many men on the field, and others that point to poor coaching.

How many "too many men on the field" penalties?  ONE.

It was not due to poor coaching - the player who had been sent to the tent after being banged up heard punt team and he ran out of tent to field.  Since he was thought to be out the ST coach substituted for him and while team on sideline tried to waive him back it was too late.  That was not poor coaching but a mistake by an overeager player which he admitted afterwards.

To try to make your point you added one penalty not related to poor coaching which means your argument is weak otherwise you would not have added it.

They need to reduce the number of penalties and they will go down when they have more players with experience.  The roster at one is too inexperienced.

On 12/31/2018 at 1:43 PM, ScottLaw said:

Didn't Cowher recommend we hire Chan Gailey as HC? That worked out well. 

I listen to Boomer a lot and his opinion is typically no more right than any of the other talking heads. 

I'm an Allen fan and lukewarm on McClappy, but how much Bills football do you think those guys actually watch? 

Little early for this but they are trending up. I'll be more confident when they look somewhat competent against BB and the Patriots.

RE: Gailey

That was a bad situation to say the least. Buddy and Chan inherited the post TD and Levy mess. Maybe our worst roster in history. He did OK. 

The offense moved  for having basically zero talent. I’d argue close to on par with this past season. 

I would argue Chan’s biggest downfall was the defense. He would have had a longer career here and much more success with Jim Schwartz on the defensive side of the ball. Chan Gailey isn’t a terrible coach. 

Probably splitting hairs on this point. 

• Like (+1) 3