Quenton Nelson - Indy OG ...#6 overall was worth it

LabattBlue

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Holy crap.  Watched him last night.  He is a MONSTER.  Pencil him in as an All-Pro for the next decade. 

I guess taking a OG at #6 isn’t such a bad idea. 

Indy significantly upgraded their OL since Luck got hurt with Nelson being the crowning piece, the result being that their franchise QB not only has stayed mostly upright but he has played just like he was expected to play when they drafted him but never had because he was always running for his life or hurrying his throws.   QBs -- and other players --- can get hurt on almost any play, but having a good OL is about the best insurance policy a team can have.

The Bills have 10 draft picks in 2019.   If they are serious about developing Allen into a franchise QB and not just using him as an excuse to cover their own incompetence in figuring out how to build a competitive NFL team, they should draft at least 2 OLers, including at least one from Day One or Day Two (rounds 1-3).  With the salary cap, teams can't afford to sign more than 1 quality OLer through FA, and top OLers -- if they even hit free agency -- tend to cost only somewhat less than QBs and pass rushers.  Consequently, teams need to develop their own young OLers through the draft, so taking a good prospect in rounds 1-3 and another later is a good strategy.  Luckily,  OL is one unit where it's possible to truly find "diamonds in the rough" on Day 3.

1 hour ago, WMDman said:

I had him rated as the second best player in the draft,  if not fr the QBs he would have got picked alot higher

He’s not. No matter how good of a guard he is or will be, even the best ever, he is one in five on a unit. I see at least 3 QB’s, and probably 5, that will have a much bigger impact than he will.

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Holy crap.  Watched him last night.  He is a MONSTER.  Pencil him in as an All-Pro for the next decade. 

I think they also took their starting RT in the second round as well - but might be slightly off-base there, just remembering from the commentary in last night's broadcast.

Either way, goes to show that if you would like to see your offense improve at every level in one year, invest in the OL. Offensive success begins, and in a lot of cases this year, can stop right there. One of the larger reasons for Shady's regression this year was a lack of Wood and Incognito pulling for his running style. If we revamp successfully I would expect him to bounce back more next year, within reasonable context.

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

He’s not. No matter how good of a guard he is or will be, even the best ever, he is one in five on a unit. I see at least 3 QB’s, and probably 5, that will have a much bigger impact than he will.

Mayfield and who???

i think there is a better chance that 4 out of the 5 qb’s drafted in the 1st round last year end up as nothing special(Mayfield being the exception) compared to Nelson who after 1 season appears to be very special...and should receive a lot of consideration for offensive RotY.  

Really early, but you are possibly looking at a HoF guard.  Which of the 5 QB’s can you say that about?

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I agree, some great options in round 2-3.   Whoever we get, at whatever position, needs to be a disruptor that other teams need to plan around.  Allen is turning into that.   You pick top 15, that's what you need.    I think by the time we pick, the "disruptors" remaining will be either CB, WR, DL.   I see us addressing the OL in FA, IMO.  Too important to hope for a rookie to get it. 

What solid LT is available in FA? We go that route and you end up with Newhouse and Bodine. Bills need to get young and talented on that line, not one year stop gaps. Now is the time to sell out and improve instead of putting it off for another rebuild.

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Because the Colts have Luck, yes I agree. But taking an Offensive linemen that high without a franchise QB would be foolish, IMO. So, now with the Bills having Allen - yes, taking an Offensive lineman that high in the Draft, presuming it's warranted and not a reach, I'm good with it. At #9, I don't know anyone outside of Williams is worth that kind of Draft capital - but I haven't even started getting a good hold on the Draft eligible players. So, someone else I'm sure knows much better than I do. That said, I would expect the Bills to do something similar in terms of going all in on landing supporting talent for Josh on both the line and in terms of playmakers. 

I'm not one the guy who thinks you need a true #1 WR if the other WRs / TEs / RBs can all play well because we've seen in recent years where the teams that win, take this model. They get WRs who are 2s and 3s all over the field but put them in the right spot. Robert Foster and Zay Jones come to mind. Get two more like those two, and you're in good shape, regardless of who's #1 or #2 or #3, etc. 

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

If we didn't need Allen i really wanted this kid.

Also shows why we should take a RT at 9.

If you get it right. Although I assume LG-RTs in the top 10 should be pretty close to sure things. I'd love a pick that lands anywhere from LG-RT so long as it's perennial All-Pro.. these guys better be a sure thing. If we're not getting the next D'Brickashaw Ferguson I'd punt down.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P