Quenton Nelson - Indy OG ...#6 overall was worth it

LabattBlue

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Holy crap.  Watched him last night.  He is a MONSTER.  Pencil him in as an All-Pro for the next decade. 

I guess taking a OG at #6 isn’t such a bad idea. 

He's the real deal.

I like some of our draft options this year, but not sure picking at the top 10, many are throwing Jonah Williams out there but there are some quality OT, OG, and 3 centers I like that are round 2-3 options depending what the Bills do in FA.

• Like (+1) 2

Not only did Indy get the player they wanted, but they got 3 extra 2nd rounders from the Jets.  They got picks 37 & 49 in 2018 & the Jets #2 this year which will be in the mid 30s of the entire draft to move down 3 slots.  

Anyone criticizing the Bills for trading up to pick 7 (and getting pick 255 which didn't work out) by moving from 21 giving up Cordy Glenn to get to 12 & then trading picks 12, 53 and 56 should realize that the Bills made a pretty good deal.  Looking at the trade up from 12, the Bills moved 5 spots & gave up 2 lower 2nd round picks.  The Jets gave up a lot more for Darnold than the Bills gave up for Allen & at this point the 2 are pretty equal. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, WideNine said:

He's the real deal.

I like some of our draft options this year, but not sure picking at the top 10, many are throwing Jonah Williams out there but there are some quality OT, OG, and 3 centers I like that are round 2-3 options depending what the Bills do in FA.

I agree, some great options in round 2-3.   Whoever we get, at whatever position, needs to be a disruptor that other teams need to plan around.  Allen is turning into that.   You pick top 15, that's what you need.    I think by the time we pick, the "disruptors" remaining will be either CB, WR, DL.   I see us addressing the OL in FA, IMO.  Too important to hope for a rookie to get it. 

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

I agree, some great options in round 2-3.   Whoever we get, at whatever position, needs to be a disruptor that other teams need to plan around.  Allen is turning into that.   You pick top 15, that's what you need.    I think by the time we pick, the "disruptors" remaining will be either CB, WR, DL.   I see us addressing the OL in FA, IMO.  Too important to hope for a rookie to get it. 

I am not even sure any of the WRs grade out that high this year, there are a few TE's that do though.

• Like (+1) 1

The Colts did an outstanding job in upgrading their OL to protect Luck. But Reich was just as big an upgrade.

They showed a stat last night that Luck went from dead last to top 8 in terms of getting the ball out quickly. 33% of his attempts are out in less than 2 seconds. Nobody is touching you when it comes out that fast.

Unfortunately for the Bills, I don't believe Allen has the accuracy to get rid of the ball that quickly, consistently. He is going to need a wall built around him if they are going to run a deep drop back pass offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

Taking a Guard in the top ten is fine... IF there’s an Alan Faneca type in the draft. Most years there isn’t , and Nelson was hardly a secret. The middle of the Bills OL is very soft, but an OG isn’t in the cards at 9. OT Williams would fill a spot that’s been subpar for years. 

He was viewed as a generational guard prospect projected to be a Zack Martin type player right out of the gate and Nelson came in and looked the part his rookie year. Given how important each position along the O-line is now and how hard it is to find guards now (It used to be the best guards and centers drafted in the first two rounds were low risk picks not so much anymore) its no longer stupid to draft guards or centers high up. They are premium positions that aren't easily replaceable. Overall I like to see a much hyped rookie guard come in and look the part, the last time guards went high in round one (Cooper and Warmack) they busted. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Not only did Indy get the player they wanted, but they got 3 extra 2nd rounders from the Jets.  They got picks 37 & 49 in 2018 & the Jets #2 this year which will be in the mid 30s of the entire draft to move down 3 slots.  

Anyone criticizing the Bills for trading up to pick 7 (and getting pick 255 which didn't work out) by moving from 21 giving up Cordy Glenn to get to 12 & then trading picks 12, 53 and 56 should realize that the Bills made a pretty good deal.  Looking at the trade up from 12, the Bills moved 5 spots & gave up 2 lower 2nd round picks.  The Jets gave up a lot more for Darnold than the Bills gave up for Allen & at this point the 2 are pretty equal. 

the saddest part is we wouldn't have given up any picks for Mahomes.