So realistically, who do you want at 9?

Jonah WIlliams.  He's a rare talent, and an automatic success at the next level.  If Williams won't drop to our pick, then trade back, get some extra picks, and draft BPA down the line.  I think you're better off trying to fill the O-line vet free agents who know how to block in this league already.

I keep hearing that Jonah Williams is better suited to play guard. I think that might be true of Dawkins as well. Greg Little is supposedly the most talented LT, but folks question his desire to play football. What happens in free agency will obviously dictate a lot. The oline absolutely has to be a priority, but the value is defense at the top of the draft. I'd take a Josh Allen for the defense if he is there, but he probably won't be. I like DK Metcalf at wr, but #9 is too early.

Edited by Dr. Who

3 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

No you wouldn't.  You would see teams trade out of their high picks instead of take multiple qbs.   Look how many high picks habe been traded for over the years.

This is something the BPA crowd conveniently ignores. Trades. Instead of just picking the BPA at their draft slot, you see plenty of teams trading. And with a trade, you have 2 teams scorning the BPA mantra. One that says “there no BPA at our slot, so let’s pick later” and one that says “I want that player now (almost always one of a need) because they’ll be no BPA when we pick later”. 

6 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Edmunds is our MLB he isnt kicking outside.  He has sideline to sideline speed and the brains to run the D.

No actually when they take a QB the QB usually isnt BPA so your thinking is kinda backwards.

Edmunds lacks the instinct and physicality for MLB. He is big and fast, but doesn't shed blocks well and gets fooled by the run a lot. I think he would be better utilized on the outside with his speed. It's like taking a college RB and telling them to play QB at the pro level.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

No, I’d be happy with 5 2nd rd picks and 5 3rd rd picks.  ?

Bills need some 1st round talent on both lines. If tackles weren't a need I would say this would work, but unfortunately the whole line needs to be retooled.

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I keep hearing that Jonah Williams is better suited to play guard. I think that might be true of Dawkins as well. Greg Little is supposedly the most talented LT, but folks question his desire to play football. What happens in free agency will obviously dictate a lot. The oline absolutely has to be a priority, but the value is defense at the top of the draft. I'd take a Josh Allen for the defense if he is there, but he probably won't be. I like DK Metcalf at wr, but #9 is too early.

Williams can play OT in the NFL at a high level and I really have very little doubt about it...He's got the best footwork I've see in a while...His technique is almost spotless...He mirrors so well, sinks his hips when bull-rushed...Even when a DE gets the edge on him he's usually so quick with his feet he's able to recover no problem...And when he gets to the 2nd level in the run game he can be a mauler...At this point he's by far the best OT prospect in this Draft...Little is no where near Jonah...He can certainly slide into OG in his Rookie year if that's what a team wants to do with him...And he'll be real good there too...But IMHO he's going to be an OT long-term...If he's there at #9, and I was Beane, it's a no-brainer...?

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Edmunds lacks the instinct and physicality for MLB. He is big and fast, but doesn't shed blocks well and gets fooled by the run a lot. I think he would be better utilized on the outside with his speed. It's like taking a college RB and telling them to play QB at the pro level.

Bills need some 1st round talent on both lines. If tackles weren't a need I would say this would work, but unfortunately the whole line needs to be retooled.

Which is why I’d rather have multiple picks.  Lots of holes.  I just don’t think Williams or little are top 10 worth OT’s.  I dont think there are any top 20 worthy WRs or TEs.  Our biggest needs.  I don’t want to reach for them so I’d rather trade down and get them where they belong while adding more picks.  I believe the BPA will likely be a DL.  I’d prefer not to spend our best draft pick on a DL this offseason.  I get BPA, and if we have a choice between Oliver and Little, I’m taking Oliver all day, but I’d just rather not have to make the choice and trade down to stockpile more picks.  The more potential starters we can can draft and have on a 4-5 year rookie contracts the better.  Hitting on those picks is the key to building a championship contender imo.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Yup it looked that way Sunday didnt it.  I guess you just know more about LBs than McD.

9 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Yup it looked that way Sunday didnt it.  I guess you just know more about LBs than McD.

I really like Edmunds, but he looks out of place and doesn't seem to be improving. He is big and fast but his technique is subpar. His biggest advantages play well to the outside in space. I'm glad one game against a terrible offense changes that though. The whole team feasted.

9 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

This is incorrect.

Right.  So if the Giants have the top-ranked running back as the #1 player on their board at 6 and you’re the Giants, you’d take the running back there?  You think the Chiefs will take a QB if they have one ranked super high when they pick?  Maybe we’ll take a safety.  The hard line “BPA” people are always amusing.  It’s not a thing.  No one actually drafts that way.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

Williams can play OT in the NFL at a high level and I really have very little doubt about it...He's got the best footwork I've see in a while...His technique is almost spotless...He mirrors so well, sinks his hips when bull-rushed...Even when a DE gets the edge on him he's usually so quick with his feet he's able to recover no problem...And when he gets to the 2nd level in the run game he can be a mauler...At this point he's by far the best OT prospect in this Draft...Little is no where near Jonah...He can certainly slide into OG in his Rookie year if that's what a team wants to do with him...And he'll be real good there too...But IMHO he's going to be an OT long-term...If he's there at #9, and I was Beane, it's a no-brainer...?

I was recapitulating analyses I have read and heard from other members here. I certainly don't know. If Williams is truly an elite LT, he should be the first option in the draft.

23 hours ago, rodneykm said:

Absolutely this. 

Trading down is always the right answer, unless you are picking near Top 3 and have to get a guy like a QB who only goes in the top 3.

McBeane have already demonstrated, however, that they don't understand this and in fact, like to trade UP.

So it will be interesting to see what they do.

9 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Trading down is always the right answer, unless you are picking near Top 3 and have to get a guy like a QB who only goes in the top 3.

McBeane have already demonstrated, however, that they don't understand this and in fact, like to trade UP.

So it will be interesting to see what they do.

One draft where franchise qb was the main target is not a lot of sample size. Then, Edmunds fell to a place where Beane felt it was worth moving up again. Trade ups this year would more strongly indicate a penchant, but I wouldn't rule out a trade down.