McDermott needs to be ready

DCbillsfan

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

That as well.  He should get interviews because of his experience.  But, unfortunately I think, he will be interviewed only because of the Rooney rule by some teams and not because of his talent.

Three minority coaches were fired today.  I think that's sad.  I agree there should be more representation of minorities in coaching and front office spots.  But the Rooney rule  to me isn't the best way to accomplish that.  

I have mixed feelings about the Rooney Rule. I'm opposed to wasting anyone's time by conducting a token interview, but on the other hand, the younger Rooney said that the rule was the only reason they interviewed Tomlin, and they ended up hiring him because he turned out to be the best candidate.

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

I have mixed feelings about the Rooney Rule. I'm opposed to wasting anyone's time by conducting a token interview, but on the other hand, the younger Rooney said that the rule was the only reason they interviewed Tomlin, and they ended up hiring him because he turned out to be the best candidate.

Good point.  I'm not sure there's a perfect way to address this.

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Why not?

Was it his fault he had ***** on his offensive line and at WR and TE?

What more could Daboll have done to prove he is ready to be a HC?

Daboll very well may be hired. He has a good resume and the bloodlines are there.

His resume consists of having some of the NFL’s worst offenses. Coaching under BB and Saban doesn’t make you a good candidate.

If he can develop Allen and actually put a quality offense on the field then he will no doubt get hired to be a HC at some point.

6 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

His resume consists of having some of the NFL’s worst offenses. Coaching under BB and Saban doesn’t make you a good candidate.

If he can develop Allen and actually put a quality offense on the field then he will no doubt get hired to be a HC at some point.

The guy is 43 years old and has been part of 5 Super Bowl Champion coaching staffs, 1 NCAA Champoonship staff and has got looks, multiple times, at OC spots.

You tell me, what exactly did he have to work with in Cleveland and Miami?

Did you have any complaints with him in Buffalo this season? I know I didn’t. The offense improved as the year went on.

The guy will get his shot very soon.

14 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

The guy is 43 years old and has been part of 5 Super Bowl Champion coaching staffs, 1 NCAA Champoonship staff and has got looks, multiple times, at OC spots.

You tell me, what exactly did he have to work with in Cleveland and Miami?

Did you have any complaints with him in Buffalo this season? I know I didn’t. The offense improved as the year went on.

The guy will get his shot very soon.

Being an assistant under Brady and BB isn’t a convincing argument. And getting multiple looks as an OC is only impressive if you actually produce good offenses.

Regardless of who he’s had to work with, his offenses have been some of the worst in the league. That’s the reality of his resume. Maybe he’ll do better with more talent. I’m hoping we find that out. Until he has more to work with I’ll try and keep an open mind about him.

I think you're grossly overhyping his qualifications.

Didn't want to lose Pettine, but I probably overvalued him because he followed the train wreck Wannstedt defenses. Didn't want to lose Schwartz because he's one of the best DC's in football. Didn't want to lose Anthony Lynn because the guy has an incredible run scheme.

I couldn't care less if someone gives Daboll or Frazier a HC job. Neither has proven to be exceptional. As a matter of fact, there's a solid chance better options are out there for OC and DC.

Edited by LSHMEAB

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I never claimed Daboll sucks. In fact, I think he is probably pretty decent. I said there is little to no chance of him getting a HC job.

I fully understand that the offense has virtually no talent. I've been saying that all year and have defended Daboll on multiple occasions. But I don't see how any team could hire him as a head coach. He led an offense that was terrible, regardless of where the blame is.

yeah I think it would be pretty nuts to take an OC as HC just because he maybe over achieved by taking a really bad offense and having it perform as just a.. bad offense. You need a proven resume of doing good with good players. Not-doing-as-terribly-as-expected might start garnering interest to want to see him actually perform with talent.

Then again we've seen really really dumb HC hires virtually every year and there's been much more puzzling decisions than signing Daboll.

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Being an assistant under Brady and BB isn’t a convincing argument. And getting multiple looks as an OC is only impressive if you actually produce good offenses.

Regardless of who he’s had to work with, his offenses have been some of the worst in the league. That’s the reality of his resume. Maybe he’ll do better with more talent. I’m hoping we find that out. Until he has more to work with I’ll try and keep an open mind about him.

I think you're grossly overhyping his qualifications.

Grossly? He is a 4 time NFL OC. 

He gets those jobs because he is highly respected.

4 hours ago, SDS said:

I don't mean to pick on you personally, because a ton of fans make the same claims, but these takes are the absolute worst.

Coach is forced to coordinate talentless group. The talentless group does not perform well. Therefore, coach must suck.

It's just so unbearably awful. 

I don't think Daboll being forced to coordinate a talentless group and then not having a great offense merits a HC hiring. Not that puzzling HC decisions haven't been made, but how has he possibly added anything positive to his resume since he was hired last year?

He likely hasn't had a negative impact towards his resume this year.. which is all I get from your argument, but having a bad offense as was duly expected isn't breaking any ground.. A lot of Coordinators can say they've done that lol.

If he really wowed and made lemonade out of this offense he'd have elevated his opportunity.. and possibly this second half has been a positive reflection on him, but if I were a GM I'd wait out another year to see what he can actually do with better personnel. Just really don't think his resume has changed at all for better or worse since last year where he was a clear OC candidate. Not HC. But at least one team every year makes some pretty crazy fliers on their HC hire.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

14 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Grossly? He is a 4 time NFL OC. 

He gets those jobs because he is highly respected.

The NFL is a revolving door when it comes to coaches. Guys get fired and hired somewhere else on a yearly basis. 

Would you you be happy if we kept Crossman simply because he’s gotten multiple chances at being a ST coordinator and is highly respected? I’m guessing you wouldn’t (or at least you shouldn’t) because the unit that he’s coaching has been trash.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I never said it doesn't happen.  You should get with the times and stop accepting racism

Yep you got me there.  By me stating a fact must mean I accept racism right?  That's such an asinine comment to make you don't know me or my views on anything.  So you can quit playing your holier than thou card with me.  

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

The NFL is a revolving door when it comes to coaches. Guys get fired and hired somewhere else on a yearly basis. 

Would you you be happy if we kept Crossman simply because he’s gotten multiple chances at being a ST coordinator and is highly respected? I’m guessing you wouldn’t (or at least you shouldn’t) because the unit that he’s coaching has been trash.

please tell me we're ditching Crossman.. special teams was hard to watch. That kind of play would really drag us down when seasons and games actually.. matter.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's the same thing with players.  Pocket-passer QB is forced to play behind sieve OL therefore QB must suck (see: Cousins/Vikes).

As far as Daboll goes though, I've been talking about this in the forum and in PMs with a couple of guys through the season.  As the season has gone on, Daboll's schemes and playcalling has become more effective overall, I think.  Perhaps he's been learning what does and does not work against real NFL D's with our guys.  Perhaps that is something he was not able to discern during pre-season, as the playbook was being taught and the team assembled.  And yet, there are still times (less than at the beginning of the season, but too many) where his play calling seems out of sync with the situation - and that is more or less independent of the group of players he has.

I still don't like his run schemes. Everyone blames the line and while they suck, you don't see a whole lot of well designed run plays either. Not sure how much of that is on Castillo or Daboll, but it's an area of concern. 

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes, yes, yes.  The Gabbert stat was mind-blowing. 

The single most important thing for the Bills over the next 8 months is to retain Daboll.   Allen and the rest of the offense needs continuity more than anything else at this time.  There is no single player in the draft or free agency that means more to the Bills' 2019 offense than Brian Daboll.   And I'm not saying Daboll is a star.  I'm just saying the Bills' offense desperately needs stability.   Let's see them build on Allen, Jones, Foster, Dawkins, Teller and a couple of other returnees.  

Then you really should be advocating replacing McDermott with a HC who controls the offense a la sean payton.  The teams "systems" should not be coordinator dependent.   That is the actual recipe for problems.