McDermott needs to be ready

DCbillsfan

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I totally agree.  And Daboll seems to be a fit for this offense the way he moves guys around.  Zay was wide open for the TD because the WR routes confused a decent Miami secondary. 

Not to take anything away from Zay's route or Daboll's play calling, but I believe at that point Miami was down to maybe 1 starter in the secondary. 

51 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

A bunch of head coach firings - Browns, Packers, Bengals, Fish, Jets, Broncos, and Bucs.  Maybe the Cardinals

Frazier and Daboll in all likelihood will get some interviews for HC jobs.  McDermott needs to have some guys in mind as replacements.

Plus there has to be a special teams coach out there to replace Crossman, right?

My hope is that we refuse to let teams interview Daboll.  Not too many Earnhardt/Perkins OCs out there.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I don't mean to pick on you personally, because a ton of fans make the same claims, but these takes are the absolute worst.

Coach is forced to coordinate talentless group. The talentless group does not perform well. Therefore, coach must suck.

It's just so unbearably awful. 

I never claimed Daboll sucks. In fact, I think he is probably pretty decent. I said there is little to no chance of him getting a HC job.

I fully understand that the offense has virtually no talent. I've been saying that all year and have defended Daboll on multiple occasions. But I don't see how any team could hire him as a head coach. He led an offense that was terrible, regardless of where the blame is.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

A bunch of head coach firings - Browns, Packers, Bengals, Fish, Jets, Broncos, and Bucs.  Maybe the Cardinals

Frazier and Daboll in all likelihood will get some interviews for HC jobs.  McDermott needs to have some guys in mind as replacements.

Plus there has to be a special teams coach out there to replace Crossman, right?

I can see Frazier getting another shot, we had the #2 total defense in the league this year but it would be a very hard sell to a fanbase and media the 30th ranked offense in the league's OC Brian Daboll as your new HC, I just don't see it happening at least not this year imo.

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I totally agree.  And Daboll seems to be a fit for this offense the way he moves guys around.  Zay was wide open for the TD because the WR routes confused a decent Miami secondary. 

While it was a nice play there were no starters in the defensive backfield save for Mikah Fitzpatrick at that point.  Probably led to break down in coverage scheme.  

2 hours ago, SDS said:

I don't mean to pick on you personally, because a ton of fans make the same claims, but these takes are the absolute worst.

Coach is forced to coordinate talentless group. The talentless group does not perform well. Therefore, coach must suck.

It's the same thing with players.  Pocket-passer QB is forced to play behind sieve OL therefore QB must suck (see: Cousins/Vikes).

As far as Daboll goes though, I've been talking about this in the forum and in PMs with a couple of guys through the season.  As the season has gone on, Daboll's schemes and playcalling has become more effective overall, I think.  Perhaps he's been learning what does and does not work against real NFL D's with our guys.  Perhaps that is something he was not able to discern during pre-season, as the playbook was being taught and the team assembled.  And yet, there are still times (less than at the beginning of the season, but too many) where his play calling seems out of sync with the situation - and that is more or less independent of the group of players he has.

3 hours ago, Steptide said:

I really don't think daboll will get a head coaching job. I don't think he's quite at that level yet

I agree with this.  IT's not like we were an offense juggernaut at 6-10.  And honestly I don't think losing Frazier would be earth shattering, considering that McD took over play calling after getting trounced the first 6 quarters of the year.

That being said I don't think Frazier will go anywhere either.   The league knows Frazier wasn't the sole reason our defense was tops in the league.   

I think this year we'll be safe.  If we improve our talent and our offense explodes in 2019, then definitely Daboll will be on many team's radar.

3 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

He needs to be ready to find a better OL coach and drop the one we have.  Look to Steve Wilks for D Coordinator if Frazier gets a gig.  

Frazier just seems a bit too conservative for my tastes as DC. It took McDermott briefly taking over defensive calls to get our D playing decently. Not a fan of Frazier. I don't see him getting another HC job.

3 hours ago, Steptide said:

I really don't think daboll will get a head coaching job. I don't think he's quite at that level yet

Why not?

Was it his fault he had ***** on his offensive line and at WR and TE?

What more could Daboll have done to prove he is ready to be a HC?

Daboll very well may be hired. He has a good resume and the bloodlines are there.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

I'm pretty sure McDermott has enough sense to be seeing around the corner and formulating plan-B in case one of his gets an opportunity.  He'd also be foolish to overlook this opportunity to make some upgrades on his own staff from all these assistants now on the market.

Edited by wiskibreth

2 hours ago, SDS said:

Daboll hasn't ever coached a good offense. Even for as stacked as it was, Alabama struggled for a big part of his time. Frazier didn't do well in his time in Minnesota and it looks worse with their current success.

3 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

If Frazier departs, Steve Wilks is the no brainer replacement.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

I'm sure the fact that he's been a head coach before has nothing to do with it, right?

That as well.  He should get interviews because of his experience.  But, unfortunately I think, he will be interviewed only because of the Rooney rule by some teams and not because of his talent.

Three minority coaches were fired today.  I think that's sad.  I agree there should be more representation of minorities in coaching and front office spots.  But the Rooney rule  to me isn't the best way to accomplish that.