Crossman and Castillo? Who stays and who goes?

LabattBlue

Crossman and Castillo  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets fired

2 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

That's not fair though. He did great when Cog, Wood, Glenn and Dawkins were starting together and I think Wyatt Teller showed growth under Castillo. Guy had Russell Bodine, Ryan Groy and a bunch of scrubs to work with. Castillo is a fantastic coach.

A fantastic coach! Wow. I think he was a major step down even when he had talent.

Was there anything in the press conferences that said Daboll will be heavily involved in the decision on Jaun Castillo, or are we just assuming?  I sure hope he goes, but I have no clue who would be out there that would be better.  Any thoughts on a replacement?  Did Denver fire the whole staff?  Perhaps Sean Kugler (Broncos OL coach) will become available or perhaps McDermott could offer him a promotion?  He coached the Bills OL in 2007 - 2009 and I believe he was the coach that converted Jason Peters to a Pro Bowler.

Just now, NickelCity said:

A fantastic coach! Wow. I think he was a major step down even when he had talent.

I hate it when fans cant see the bigger picture. Shady rushed for 1,100 behind a Castillo coached line. You take away 3 Pro Bowlers from him, what do you want him to do dude? Look at his resume. He's a good coach.

3 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Was there anything in the press conferences that said Daboll will be heavily involved in the decision on Jaun Castillo, or are we just assuming?  I sure hope he goes, but I have no clue who would be out there that would be better.  Any thoughts on a replacement?  Did Denver fire the whole staff?  Perhaps Sean Kugler (Broncos OL coach) will become available or perhaps McDermott could offer him a promotion?  He coached the Bills OL in 2007 - 2009 and I believe he was the coach that converted Jason Peters to a Pro Bowler.

Nope. That was Mouse McNally.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I hate it when fans cant see the bigger picture. Shady rushed for 1,100 behind a Castillo coached line. You take away 3 Pro Bowlers from him, what do you want him to do dude? Look at his resume. He's a good coach.

I do not hold this season against him, as I alluded to. I think previous OLine coaches were better. 

37 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I would be for Kugler as a WNY guy and as long as he brings Broncos FA Center Matt Paradis 

Both guys have the luxury of saying they didn't have a whole lot to work with, especially on special teams. That whole unit is almost exclusively undrafted guys and first/second-year players. Crossman has somehow survived three different coaching changes and given how he did seem to get things turned around later in the season I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed. Special teams were kind of a mess this year, the whole punter situation was flukey, Hauschka ain't right at the moment, I think that hit he took has affected the power in his kicks, I mean...how do you come up short on 42 and 43 yard field goals? They've shuffled in a bunch of different returners as well. So yeah, given all that, Crossman probably stays with a promise from McBeane to find him a couple more core special teams guys cause right now the only one they have is Alexander. 

Castillo stays. It's been a rough year for Shady but some of that's on him. He's not the type to take that "three yards and a cloud of dust" but sometimes you just gotta take what's there. Seems like the OL looked better when Ivory and Ford were in there. Both guys are one cut and go style runners, downhill and all that. I feel like a back like that is probably a better fit for what they wanna do offensively. Not to say I don't think Shady can still have a role as a change of pace back who can also make plays in the passing game. 

I dunno. I guess that was a long way of saying, "I think they'll both stay."

Edited by blacklabel

I voted both, but more in hope than expectation.

Neither had much to work with, but were still not up to snuff imho. We’ve definitely had better in the not too distant past.

There’s got to be better guys out there, especially with all the changes happening elsewhere.

Special teams:

Get Darren Rizzi out of Miami. He is a great coach.

The Jets ST coach also got great results this year.

OL:

Keeping Castillo is an option.

Kugler has done a good job in Denver this year although just coaching inside, has local ties and coached here before, won a SB in Pitt. He had a hand in developing Ryan Clady at Boise State and Jason Peters in Buffalo. He is not the full OL coach so they could move quick and offer him the full job here before Denver hires a HC

7 hours ago, hemma said:

Crossman’s DVOA ranking since 2013:

2013  30

2014   4

2015   12

2016   22

2017   10

2018   32

I think it’s time for a different coach.

32 gets you fired. We lost 3 games this year directly attributed to ST.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

I think the thing that saves Castillo is he lost both Wood and Incognito unexpectedly and had to make do with rookies and largely late rounders. I think he'll get a season with some pieces from FA and the draft

13 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

Why haven’t these clowns been fired yet. Other teams are cleaning house, why the silence from McD?

Of teams letting coordinators go, not head coaches, only 1, Atlanta has been announced. Impatience serves no benefit

21 hours ago, TPS said:

I don’t think McD will fire either one. ST actually looked good yesterday after being the cause of the previous Miami loss. The new guys thrown in there looked good. 

For O-line, I think Daboll will take more control of the process. I just can’t see McD letting Castillo go. 

And the cause of the Jets loss. Fire Him!

8 hours ago, Greatdane21 said:

Possibly Crossman he was a holdover from Ryan days ,if McDermott has someone he has worked with before !

He has actually survived two regime changes, Marone and Rex. I guess that says something?

16 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Nope. That was Mouse McNally.

My problem with Castillo is that when the good players left the younger players showed no development. Dawkins has looked like the same player for two seasons and none of the younger players have improved at all. If we gut this o-line and draft 2 or 3 rookies i don't want Castillo anywhere near them. He is a bottom tier o-line coach and needs to be upgraded. Castillo to me is a prime example of addition by subtraction, the team will get better the second he is let go.

16 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Both guys have the luxury of saying they didn't have a whole lot to work with, especially on special teams. That whole unit is almost exclusively undrafted guys and first/second-year players. Crossman has somehow survived three different coaching changes and given how he did seem to get things turned around later in the season I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed. Special teams were kind of a mess this year, the whole punter situation was flukey, Hauschka ain't right at the moment, I think that hit he took has affected the power in his kicks, I mean...how do you come up short on 42 and 43 yard field goals? They've shuffled in a bunch of different returners as well. So yeah, given all that, Crossman probably stays with a promise from McBeane to find him a couple more core special teams guys cause right now the only one they have is Alexander. 

Castillo stays. It's been a rough year for Shady but some of that's on him. He's not the type to take that "three yards and a cloud of dust" but sometimes you just gotta take what's there. Seems like the OL looked better when Ivory and Ford were in there. Both guys are one cut and go style runners, downhill and all that. I feel like a back like that is probably a better fit for what they wanna do offensively. Not to say I don't think Shady can still have a role as a change of pace back who can also make plays in the passing game. 

I dunno. I guess that was a long way of saying, "I think they'll both stay."

How do you not know your kicker is injured? Why would you keep shuffling in punters who can't handle the hold on a kick? The whole special teams sucks. You think Hauschka isn't irritated about this? 

54 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

My problem with Castillo is that when the good players left the younger players showed no development. Dawkins has looked like the same player for two seasons and none of the younger players have improved at all. If we gut this o-line and draft 2 or 3 rookies i don't want Castillo anywhere near them. He is a bottom tier o-line coach and needs to be upgraded. Castillo to me is a prime example of addition by subtraction, the team will get better the second he is let go.

Why is a defensive coach hiring offensive personnel before he even hires a coordinator? This is the crony type stuff he does that I question. Every move seems to be for a mediocre friend and without a thorough search.