Bills Front Office w/ panties in a knot

Seems as if the PR department has nothing better to do than worry about the color of TD's hair. Very funny stuff.

http://www.niagarafallsreporter.com/billstuff20043.html

IRATE READER OF THE WEEK: A day after last week's BillStuff hit the Internet, Niagara Falls Reporter Editor in Chief Mike Hudson received a call from One Bills Drive. Seems the reference to Bills president and general manager Tom Donahoe as "Ol' Whitey" didn't sit well with some at team headquarters.

Now, on the off chance you've never seen him, Mr. Donahoe's hair is white. Remarkably white, in fact. There's a rich sporting tradition of athletes, coaches and front-office types bearing nicknames based on their hair color: Whitey Herzog, Red Grange, Whitey Ford and Red Auerbach, to name four.

Somehow, including his boss in this pantheon irritated Bills Vice President of Communications Scott "Li'l Red" Berchtold, who phoned Hudson to voice his displeasure, saying there was no reason to get "personal."

Mike offered to let Berchtold submit a letter to the editor in which he could call me whatever names he wanted, but he declined. Clearly misunderstanding the corporate culture here at the Reporter, he insisted that Mike should "talk to" me.

Which he did, spending most of the conversation laughing about someone with such a lofty title taking the time to pick up the phone over such a petty matter.

Berchtold could have contacted me directly, since my e-mail address can be found at the end of each BS column. While that would have still been fairly thin-skinned, it wouldn't have been conduct nearly as weaselly as the Bills' Media Relations Handbook prescribes.

Though he failed at one of his primary objectives -- getting the people he's supposed to help cover the team in "trouble" at their jobs -- Li'l Red did accomplish a few things with his phone call:

He guaranteed that his boss will be referred to as Ol' Whitey in every BillStuff column until either or both are no longer employed by the team.

He got his own name in print for something other than issuing a "no comment" from the organization.

On the exceedingly slim chance that No. 2 ever happens again, he got himself a nickname. And one far more jovial -- and printable -- than the ones given him by the members of the media forced to deal with his nonsense on a regular basis.