Bills sign Derek Anderson to extension

YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, Mark80 said:

I don't get it really.  He is terrible as a QB.  Why not just add him to the coaching staff?  The guy should never be on the field again IMO.

Agree 100%. Are they really going to keep three QBs on the roster so that Anderson can be a player/mentor?

Edited by vincec

4 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Yup.

Of course DA would rather be a player than a coach.  He makes more $ than a first year position coach, gets more pay for playoffs, covered by the CBA union, probably adds to his pension too.  You get a nice uniform and free laundry service.   Who would not want to be a player? 

Coaches have a union too and if he stuck with it long enough he'd get a double pension.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I said in a thread earlier that I thought Anderson could be made Assistant QB coach or something..... maybe that is a pay check he doesn't want to settle for. More money as a third string QB. It does show the absolute folly of not releasing Peterman last offseason and signing a DA type back then.

That is where I am at on this.....

Do ppl not realize that one of the biggest mistake the bills made this past year is how they handled the qb situation.....have learned from that mistake and are not doing it again?

You have THREE veteran qbs (Josh being just a 2nd year guy though) who have live bullet NFL playing time.....they have taken care of this important need before even going into the offseason which was smart.......

I guess Patrick M.  and Tom B. were not available for the 3rd string mentor job?

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

These two firings better happen soon. They couldn't be more obvious. 

That's why I'm interested in seeing if it will actually happen...

McDermott doesn't seem to be a listen to the fans kind of guy and for the most part has made roster moves that the fans have been asking for like cutting Benjamin etc. but, at his own pace. He seems to give people EVERY opportunity and EVERY chance to prove they belong on the team but Crossman clearly sucks and Castillo is nothing special either.

12 hours ago, K-9 said:

What a difference a year makes going from zero stability at the most important position to making it one of the most solidified on the squad. No mysteries heading into 2019 at all. 

Trust the Process ?

38 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

And if the shite ever hit the fan he could play!

Right but it’s a long shot and he knows it.  I do expect him to get into shape, participate in camp, and prepare like he’s going to play but I think he knows his main role is as a mentor and he’s only playing if things really go south.

3 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Right but it’s a long shot and he knows it.  I do expect him to get into shape, participate in camp, and prepare like he’s going to play but I think he knows his main role is as a mentor and he’s only playing if things really go south.

Agreed. It's a nice insurance policy that just QB coach can't give you.

8 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

He is the emergency 3rd string QB. Apparently you tune out whenever Josh Allen praises DA for helping him adjust to the pro game.

The team has 88 million in cap space. Keep your new QB happy and moving in the right direction.

Uh, apparently you don't understand that he can do the exact same thing as a coach and that our roster is limited to only 53 players regardless of what our cap situation is.

19 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Uh, apparently you don't understand that he can do the exact same thing as a coach and that our roster is limited to only 53 players regardless of what our cap situation is.

Mark,

I think this all stems from the situation that happened to us this year at QB

Regardless of what you think of him as a QB....he is in fact a veteran....and should the unthinkable happen (like this year) we will be damn lucky to have 3 veteran guys with experience in the offensive system ready to go even if it is a game or 2)

They went from having nothing in veteran experience to overkill......which is ok with me

• Like (+1) 1

I don't get why they sign a guy that went 20 & 27 W/L while a starter i know he's seen a lot of football but Barkley has as good or better insight on the game which i think was proven by his first start for the Bills .

I think the roster spot could be better used maybe bring him back as a QB coach but not to use a roster spot when they could bring in another player to help the cause ...

23 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

He’s got a pretty sweet deal.  He’s basically a player/coach who gets paid the veteran minimum which is way higher than a QB Coach.

Yeah idk why they just don't make him the QB coach. The WR turned QB coach we have can be moved to another spot.