Bills sign Derek Anderson to extension

YoloinOhio

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

They can pay him whatever he wants and he can work whatever hours they want him too. They can make up a position on their coaching staff if they want and not use up a roster spot. 

But we saw already that having 3 healthy guys to play as needed is quite important—when we were stuck at 2, things went downhill fast whether through injury or lack of quality play 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Well alright good move, essentially a QB coach

I said in a thread earlier that I thought Anderson could be made Assistant QB coach or something..... maybe that is a pay check he doesn't want to settle for. More money as a third string QB. It does show the absolute folly of not releasing Peterman last offseason and signing a DA type back then.

• Like (+1) 2

As others said, this is a great move to help further Allens development.  

That being said, he’s no lock to be in the roster come final cut downs in preseason.  But this insures they have him all offseason, OTAs, camp and most preseason to keep working with Josh.  I will be a little surprised if they keep 3 QBs come week 1 if Allen has a strong preseason.  

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I said in a thread earlier that I thought Anderson could be made Assistant QB coach or something..... maybe that is a pay check he doesn't want to settle for. More money as a third string QB. It does show the absolute folly of not releasing Peterman last offseason and signing a DA type back then.

Being a coach is  probably more demanding in regards to time and availability...he would have to live here full time. So as a player, even if he is mostly just a QB coach, he can keep his family in Arizona or wherever he is stationed.

2 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Being a coach is  probably more demanding in regards to time and availability...he would have to live here full time. So as a player, even if he is mostly just a QB coach, he can keep his family in Arizona or wherever he is stationed.

Yep another good point.

14 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Because he’s going to make like 900 K to essentially be a 2nd QB coach to Allen. If they make him a coach he’s not making that kind of bank and he’s have to put in more hours as acoach

You can pay a coach any amount you want.

9 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

But we saw already that having 3 healthy guys to play as needed is quite important—when we were stuck at 2, things went downhill fast whether through injury or lack of quality play 

Uh, did you watch DA play this year.  Why in the world would you ever want to see him on the field again?  He is flat out terrible and has been for a very long time.

Only 53 roster spots.  Taking up one of those with someone who should never see the field is a waste IMO.  Pay him what you want to coach, give him flexible scheduling.  Who cares?

Edited by Mark80

I was criticized by several posters here at the suggestion that Allen could benefit from a veteran mentor backup.  This particular poster has since disappeared but went to great lengths to show my thinking to be obsolete.  

Well there you have it.  The best thing that happened to Allen this year was the time off he got from the minor injury and the opportunity to work with veteran QBs who know the position.  

Bringing in an unproven stopgap in McCarron, then going with Peterman and Allen, all bad judgement by an inexperienced GM and HC.

Lots of learning going on at One Bills Drive.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

They could make a coaching position just for him and whatever hours he wants to work at whatever they want to pay him

13 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

That's true, but Anderson wasnt any better then most street FAs when be had to come in and play last year before getting hurt. Having a semi competent QB over Peterman to start the season would have changed things. Allen and Barkley is already an upgrade, when you get down to the 3rd guy, your getting into development or street FA guys....

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Beane acknowledged that he made a mistake in not having a veteran qb on the roster right from the start. And McBeane openly admitted that the AJ McCarron experiment didn't work out. Consequently, not having that veteran presence not only hurt us on the field but it also hurt Allen's development which should have been a priority. 

Whether DA as a player is more of a glorified qb coach who cares? If he helps with the development of Allen then whatever he is paid is worth it. He will then have served a useful purpose as a longshot backup and more importantly as a mentor.  

When all is said and done this season has been very productive in that Josh Allen got playing time and that he was surrounded by veteran qbs who accepted their roles as mentors to the raw rookie. And it became evident that the instruction the veterans provided Josh was taken to heart by the receptive rookie. Without a doubt it showed on the field. 

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

This isn’t Walmart.

Cripes.

You dont say?

I forgot that the NFL has a set rule as to how many coaches and what titles you can have for your staff, along with the required hours they all must work. If they want to hire a QB mentor/Guru for Allen they can pay him whatever they want and allow him to come and go as he feels necessary. The Pat's had Bradys personal trainer around the team and facility whenever Brady felt he wanted him there

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Beane acknowledged that he made a mistake in not having a veteran qb on the roster right from the start. And McBeane openly admitted that the AJ McCarron experiment didn't work out. Consequently, not having that veteran presence not only hurt us on the field but it also hurt Allen's development which should have been a priority. 

Whether DA as a player is more of a glorified qb coach who cares? If he helps with the development of Allen then whatever he is paid is worth it. He will then have served a useful purpose as a longshot backup and more importantly as a mentor.  

When all is said and done this season has been very productive in that Josh Allen got playing time and that he was surrounded by veteran qbs who accepted their roles as mentors to the raw rookie. And it became evident that the instruction the veterans provided Josh was taken to heart by the receptive rookie. Without a doubt it showed on the field. 

But why waste a roster spot on him as a player? We saw last season how they apparently need all the spots they can get when they cut a veteran WR just to get an opening for another rotational DT to sit on the sidelines.

37 minutes ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

I'm a little surprised he wanted to come back after getting rocked with that concussion as he was in the midst of retirement. 

Ideally, he'll not have to take a single snap on the field for us this next year, and *insert cliches about being a mentor*

Expecting debilitating injuries to JA and MB?

Apparently DA isn't too concerned.