Cincinnati Bengals: HC Marvin Lewis fired

YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He’s the current version of Jeff Fisher.  Bad coach who kept sticking around from a reputation of something that happened a decade and a half earlier.  

Don't disrespect Marvin like that.  

He's an all time great defensive mind ('96-'01 Ravens Defensive Coordinator) and took the Bengals, one of the poorest run franchises in the league, from basement dwellers to a perennial playoff team.  

Granted, they didn't do jack once they got there, but still...outside of 1999, Fisher wishes he had Lewis' success.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is probably the worst HC opening in the league. They need a major rebuild, aging stars, cheap owner, no indoor practice facility 

Agreed and I think one of the hardest divisions in football.  My wife and I were talking and I think this is at least 5 years before they become relevant again.

Would not touch this job with a 40 foot pole.

3 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Don't disrespect Marvin like that.  

He's an all time great defensive mind ('96-'01 Ravens Defensive Coordinator) and took the Bengals, one of the poorest run franchises in the league, from basement dwellers to a perennial playoff team.  

Granted, they didn't do jack once they got there, but still...outside of 1999, Fisher wishes he had Lewis' success.

I'm no Fisher fan either but he did coach a SB team.

25 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Fate was sealed losing to Andy Reid in the Biggest Choker of all Time playoff duel a few years ago

so.. Lewis getting canned today was a done deal a few years ago?? mmmkay.

Edited by Foxx

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He’s the current version of Jeff Fisher.  Bad coach who kept sticking around from a reputation of something that happened a decade and a half earlier.  

Cant believe guys like him and Fisher held jobs as long as they did.  

I can’t see him getting another HC gig anytime soon, if ever, without first going back to a DC and having significant success as that.  

I don’t think he will ever be a HC again.  I think he is done.  The only thing I will say is that he did seem to get something out of that team for many years including a few playoffs runs.  He never accomplished a win in those games, but he did get them there.

It was time to move on though - maybe even 2-3 years to late, but right now this is a bad opening to me and they are going to end up with a failed retread.

Add the Bengals to the list of blown up franchises for Beane to deal with; there has to be some opportunity here.

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

You can do worse than Marvin Lewis but it was definitely his time to go.

I always viewed him as the Tyrod Taylor of coaches; he offered some degree of stability and he could take a term to a certain level, but his success was always going to be capped short of the finish line.

1 hour ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Five years too late but somewhat better late than never

This has been long overdue.

I'm amazed at how long Lewis lasted.

Everyone piles on Andy Reid for choking in the post season, but Marvin Lewis was the real joke.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Add the Bengals to the list of blown up franchises for Beane to deal with; there has to be some opportunity here.

I always viewed him as the Tyrod Taylor of coaches; he offered some degree of stability and he could take a term to a certain level, but his success was always going to be capped short of the finish line.

I don’t agree or disagree with you. I do know he had Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton at QB, neither of which ever struck fear into anyone.

23 hours ago, Steptide said:

Wow, didn't see that one coming 

Did you se this?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25653722/bengals-coach-marvin-lewis-part-ways-6-10-season

endorsing Hue LOL. 

20 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

This has been long overdue.

I'm amazed at how long Lewis lasted.

Everyone piles on Andy Reid for choking in the post season, but Marvin Lewis was the real joke.

Agreed.  Unfortunately long overdue.  

Rasputin has finally been vanquished!

23 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I don’t agree or disagree with you. I do know he had Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton at QB, neither of which ever struck fear into anyone.

Before his knee injury Palmer was well on his way to being an elite QB...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Rasputin has finally been vanquished!

Before his knee injury Palmer was well on his way to being an elite QB...

Palmer’s two best seasons were before the injury and after the injury.

I’m not sure that injury can be blamed for his mediocre years in Cincy, which pretty much mirror his whole career. A few real good seasons and a bunch of meh seasons.