Would you trade for AJ Green?

Tatonka68

Would you trade for AJ Green??  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade a 2nd and our later 4th round pick for AJ Green.

• YES, great deal. It's like using our 2nd round pick to draft him and only giving up a late 4th pick.
    • NO, not worth the draft picks.

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

Teams whiff on second round picks ( and 1st) all the time. The Patriots have made plenty of poor picks. It wont hurt the development of the  team.

If Green is healthy I would make that trade. There isnt a WR as good as Green in this draft, and it would really help Allen's development to have a top wide receiver THIS season to play with.

First, it would help his confidence. The second year is often more difficult because teams are better prepared to counter the QBs strengths.

Second, just working with a great receiver is an education. 

Green could develop into the James Lofton role.

Get Green, and draft Metcalf or another top prospect. 

Edited by OJ Tom

I think Green would be an excellent fit here if he was available. A 2nd isn’t that terrible of a deal even given his age or injury concerns. 

He wont see the same amount of targets here as he does in cinci. But he’s a team first guy and a gamer. He plays through most injuries. Having him opens up the run game, if you can add a halfway decent tight end all of a sudden you could have a really potent offense. Green has to be double teamed which leaves all our guys with much easier coverage. I’d drop a 2 in a second. Of course I would also try and trade back from 9 in the draft and get someone else’s 2 to replace it lol 

In a second I would. I would prefer to try and not use our first to do so, but if the Bills traded 9 for AJ..I would be ok. I want proven talent at the skill position and I wouldn’t worry to much over how we get it. I think maybe a 2nd and a 4th could get it done? Had to say. It depends on how bad the Bengals want to rebuild. The Bengals are also super cheap so they would probably be one of the teams that would love to unload salary.

I certainly understand the interest and the basic premise of the question and why it's relevant. However, in observing Super Bowl teams over the last 10 years, I just don't think a #1 WR is as important as it used to be. I would much rather spend the Draft capital in ways that to me, help the team in a more constructive way. By that I mean, the Bills would essentially give up a Rookie WR and Taron Johnson for AJ Green who is over 30 when this team is just starting to build off its youth AND there will be FAs available in some respect. I happen to think three #2 WRs are better than one #1 WR and that's basically what you're doing - piling all your WR eggs into one basket. 

Robert Foster and Zay Jones made tremendous strides in their first year. The Bills need two more really viable WR options and I think Drafting two WRs makes the most sense while also Drafting Offensive Line, LB, CB and Defensive Line are the best use of this year's Draft picks. Free Agency can also be Offensive Line, LB, CB, WR, and Defensive Line. Essentially mirroring the Draft because these are the areas the Bills need great depth and to improve overall on the roster. QBs are settled with the signing of Anderson and Barkley. TEs need to be addressed as well, first through FA and then another TE in the 4th. JMO.

Btw, I'm aware that I've basically listed every position outside of Safety and QB....but, I'm not wrong. Bills need more talent depth at every position except those two. 

On 12/31/2018 at 9:59 AM, Tatonka68 said:

I would see if the Bengals would bite on this. Would not give up the farm but under the instance above a 2nd and a late 4th pick I would make the trade. If necessary I would add a conditional 2020 4th or 5th round pick.

IMO this be a move if he was the last piece you needed to make a SB run.  I’d say a team like GB or NE or even the Cowboys make more sense.. or I could see PITT DOING IT AND TRADING AB  to say Chicago or Tampa Bay for a 1st and a 2nd.. 

I'd at least throw it out there & see if they bite but i don't think they will trade their best offensive weapon !! 

And i'm sure Dalton might have something to say about that if they put him on the trading block ...

On 12/31/2018 at 7:30 AM, NewEraBills said:

No and there are two reasons, 1.  I don't like the age.  If we are trying to get younger then do that.  2.  Availability.   Green gets hurt just about every year and the Bengals offense falls off the cliff every time.

^this. If we attempt a trade for anyone, go after Julio. Hell, I'd even entertain AB but that would be quite the potential migraine for a young rookie QB who needs to develop more. 

AJ is an elite receiver but is on the down slope of a career we would likely end up overpaying for, versus his ultimate production and likelihood of being injured. I'd rather we get a young top guy with our early pick in the 2nd and let him develop with Allen to become his career long wideout. Even more so if we happen to land a solid possession receiver in FA somehow.

This is a move you make if you're in win now mode, your window is closing, and you want to make a run.  

When you're going into year 3 of a rebuild it makes more sense to use those resources to build for the future to have sustained success rather than compromise that for someone who isn't likely to be much of a factor in 3-4 years. Not to mention the risk that he bounces when his contract is up.

Just so it's clear, the injury he had this year was turf toe (torn ligament in toe). It requires surgery, but he's probably going to be fine. It's not a crippling injury. 

More importantly, why would the Bengals trade their best player for draft picks? Do you think their new coach wants to come into a situation where there has been a major downgrade in talent, and by choice?  Not everyone is Jon Gruden.

Edited by dave mcbride