Las Vegas Raiders: Mike Mayock hired as GM

MAJBobby

15 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Very few coaches reach the super bowl. It’s been a while since he’s coached. People can improve as they see things from different perspectives. I think he deserves a chance. Mistakes are made and people can learn from them. 

He has plenty of draft picks to work with and he’s not alone in building this team. Fans don’t like him rebuilding a team that hasn’t seen the playoffs in 16 years. They weren’t close to being a contender haha. Don’t understand the enormous amount of hate tossed at that situation. 

I just watched while I was in market, then got to walk on the same 7 on 7 fields with him and listen to him denegrate 16-17 year old kids. That made a very bad  impression. 

But I wish him well. Sounds odd, maybe, but no hatred. 

Edited by Augie

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I just watched while I was in market, then got to walk on the same 7 on 7 fields fields with him and listen to him denegrate 16-17 year old kids. That made a very bad  impression. 

But I wish him well. Sounds odd, maybe, but no hatred. 

I’d need more details to give a better opinion but I’ve known plenty of 16-17 year olds that could’ve used some constructive criticism and a good kick in the pants. 

Anyway, he now has the draft picks to bring in multiple talents instead of riding on one guy on defense. An overhaul of that roster is needed. 

14 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

As per Scheftner. 

I have always wondered if there was ever going to be a team that would take the NFL Draft Personality and make him a GM. I guess it is the Raiders. 

Will be be interesting to see how he does. Someone that has just watched a lot of film. Played briefly and NEVER been in an NFL FO gets the Keys to build a franchise. 

But don't forget,he travels around the country and talks to the young athletes..face to face.He's a hard worker..reminds me of a 10th grade history teacher..facts,finger pointing to a map of Germany and Poland...then bam..it's actually the field that sits inside of Sanford Stadium in Athens,Georgia.

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

I’d need more details to give a better opinion but I’ve known plenty of 16-17 year olds that could’ve used some constructive criticism and a good kick in the pants. 

Anyway, he now has the draft picks to bring in multiple talents instead of riding on one guy on defense. An overhaul of that roster is needed. 

If an NFL coach is yelling “you have to go at #42, that kid can’t cover anyone” talking about a 16 year old kid,  a boundary has been crossed. I was not there for that particular quote, but I got it from multiple sources and I heard many just like it. His son looked like a fireplug on steroids. The rage was flaring when my son would pick him of in the end zone, or beat him on the other side. They were easy to dislike. I love competing, I dislike jerks. 

14 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I feel really bad for Raider fans. Going from Carr, Cooper and Mack to Gruden and Mayock. Bad owners <<<<<

Well said.  

“The best pro day I ever saw was JaMarcus Russell,” NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock told Dan Patrick on Pro Football Talk. “I’ve never seen a quarterback throw a football like that in my life.”

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, wppete said:

Being a G.M. is a lot more than just the draft. This should be interesting. More chaos with the raiders. 

But did they  interview a minority G.M. for the job? I’m not sure about that rule. It doesn’t make sense.

I honestly feel sorry for the Raiders.  Just when you thought the Gruden hire was a disaster,  along comes Mayock as their GM. 

Wow, pure stupidity....

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

I don't know why people are shocked Gruden blew up Oakland.  It's been a long time since they've seen the playoffs.  He's had success in the past, let the man work.  It will be a process that will take time.  They really weren't close to a contending team before those trades.  Now they have three first round picks to try to jump-start their rebuild.  Fans get too caught up with the immediate effects with some trades.  

They were in the playoffs in 2016.  They were 12-4.  They had 7 ProBowl players. Two of which Gruden traded away this year.  

Carr was hurt in the 15th game of the season and missed the playoff game.  

I can see NFLN throwing a bunch of money at Todd McShay to steal him away from the Evil Empire.  ESPN isn't big enough for the egos of both Kiper and McShay...

15 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Analytics doesn't win you championships... if it did, the Cheatriots wouldn't have won as many times as they have. Analytics will go the way of the Run and Shoot as gimmicky and ineffective...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/01/eagles-patriots-both-relied-on-analytics-to-help-them-reach-the-super-bowl/

3 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I don't know why people are shocked Gruden blew up Oakland.  It's been a long time since they've seen the playoffs.  He's had success in the past, let the man work.  It will be a process that will take time.  They really weren't close to a contending team before those trades.  Now they have three first round picks to try to jump-start their rebuild.  Fans get too caught up with the immediate effects with some trades.  

It's been two years since their 12-4 season spearheaded by Carr, Cooper, and Mack.  Not retaining talent is the key to being a middle of the road franchise with a lot of "rebuild" cycles.

6 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Very few coaches reach the super bowl. It’s been a while since he’s coached. People can improve as they see things from different perspectives. I think he deserves a chance. Mistakes are made and people can learn from them. 

He has plenty of draft picks to work with and he’s not alone in building this team. Fans don’t like him rebuilding a team that hasn’t seen the playoffs in 16 years. They weren’t close to being a contender haha. Don’t understand the enormous amount of hate tossed at that situation. 

Guessing part of it is he traded the best defensive player in the league

8 hours ago, Augie said:

If an NFL coach is yelling “you have to go at #42, that kid can’t cover anyone” talking about a 16 year old kid,  a boundary has been crossed. I was not there for that particular quote, but I got it from multiple sources and I heard many just like it. His son looked like a fireplug on steroids. The rage was flaring when my son would pick him of in the end zone, or beat him on the other side. They were easy to dislike. I love competing, I dislike jerks. 

If you are an offensive player, you have to believe you are going to beat your defender and have the confidence to go right at them.  It's a different style of coaching, not my favorite but still a style of coaching.  It's to try to get both players to play with more fire.  It works for some and it offends others.  

I've experienced coaches like that and if you don't have the same type of mentality, you are likely to dislike them.  

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They were in the playoffs in 2016.  They were 12-4.  They had 7 ProBowl players. Two of which Gruden traded away this year.  

Carr was hurt in the 15th game of the season and missed the playoff game.  

Forgot about that season.  Yes they were good but clearly things fell apart.  The haul that they got out of both players was worth it to me.  Both players were going to need big contracts, Mack's being massive. With Carr getting paid, they can't have another massive contract on the books.  Tough decision but one that should be made.  Don't know why so many were surprised by the moves.  

3 hours ago, nucci said:

Guessing part of it is he traded the best defensive player in the league

Yes but Mack got a massive contract and they have Carr's contract already.  Instead they'll have a few players on rookie contracts.  Makes it much easier to add more pieces.