Las Vegas Raiders: Mike Mayock hired as GM

MAJBobby

Man this is going to hurt watch the draft now. He was great during the draft. He seemed to have stats on every player. I bet he’s not going to have to deal with a lot of the GM duties there. Gruden hires him for his draft study. 

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don't care about he Raiders. Does this mean Daniel Jeremiah becomes the main draft guy? I always liked him and his takes. 

Jeremiah is good. Definitely my favorite after Mayock. He also gets more exposeure on NFL media than Mayock, so that might be connected. (His podcast is good if you can get past how annoying Bucky Brooks is.)

I will miss Mayocks assessments. I hope he isn’t replaced by another player who’s doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

as for the hire, I think people underestimate how much Mayock knows about the business. I wish him well, but I’m stymied that he’d hitch his wagon to that 3-legged horse.

Also- while we all probably expect this to end in diaster, it could be a decent springboard for mayock. Use the expierience and opportunity to build contacts, blame the mistakes on the haircuts, and move on to greener pastures. 

• Like (+1) 1

No surprise. They tried really hard to get him 10 years ago and he wouldn't bite. He and Gruden must see eye to eye or else he wouldn't have made the move.

On the plus side, this means more Daniel Jeremiah during draft season, which makes me happy. Unless DJ takes a job, which he's turned down all interviews for in the past because he doesn't want to take time away from family and efforts into his church.

I actually like the hire, I don't think he'd back down from Gruden when push comes to shove and he is incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to prospects, he'll now have a whole team of hand picked Scouts to help him evaluate even more, yes there is more to the GM position than just the Draft but he can grow into that roll, hire a financial type guy like we did when Whaley was GM here. 

I don't think it was on Gruden that they lost both Mack and Cooper, why would any coach want to lose 2 of it's best players? That seemed like a major cap blunder under Reggie McKenzie that had to be addressed or they'd lose both for nothing, just my opinion.

Just now, the skycap said:

How am I supposed to watch the NFL Network's coverage of the draft now??

I hope he got HUGE $$$ because now he has to deal with Gruden. I suppose he can always go back to the good life after this implodes. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't know why people are shocked Gruden blew up Oakland.  It's been a long time since they've seen the playoffs.  He's had success in the past, let the man work.  It will be a process that will take time.  They really weren't close to a contending team before those trades.  Now they have three first round picks to try to jump-start their rebuild.  Fans get too caught up with the immediate effects with some trades.  

9 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I don't know why people are shocked Gruden blew up Oakland.  It's been a long time since they've seen the playoffs.  He's had success in the past, let the man work.  It will be a process that will take time.  They really weren't close to a contending team before those trades.  Now they have three first round picks to try to jump-start their rebuild.  Fans get too caught up with the immediate effects with some trades.  

I lived in the Tampa market when he won the SB with Dungy’s team. It was common knowledge and widely reported that many players didn’t like or trust him. He won the SB against his own offense, without any real changes in calls, formations, or anything else. John Lynch was on film LAUGHING that they didn’t change anything. They KNEW everything that was coming. The Raiders should be charged with negligence for that loss. 

Gruden is the QB Whisperer? Who has he ever developed? Rich Gannon was my age and had already figured it out on his own. Gruden was never known, to my knowledge, to be a draft genius. I also suspect his ego is too big to listen to anyone else, so drafts are looking iffy.  

Full disclosure: our sons spent a lot of time on the field together at 7 on 7’s at USF, and I learned to dislike him up close and personal. But the Tampa market in general disliked him in his time there, despite winning a SB. What does THAT tell you? 

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

I lived in the Tampa market when he won the SB with Dungy’s team. It was common knowledge and widely reported that many players didn’t like or trust him. He won the SB against his own offense, without any real changes in calls, formations, or anything else. John Lynch was on film LAUGHING that they didn’t change anything. They KNEW everything that was coming. The Raiders should be charged with negligence for that loss. 

Gruden is the QB Whisperer? Who has he ever developed? Rich Gannon was my age and had already figured it out on his own. Gruden was never known, to my knowledge, to be a draft genius. I also suspect his ego is too big to listen to anyone else, so drafts are looking iffy.  

Full disclosure: our sons spent a lot of time on the field together at 7 on 7’s at USF, and I learned to dislike him up close and personal. But the Tampa market in general disliked him in his time there, despite winning a SB. What does THAT tell you? 

Very few coaches reach the super bowl. It’s been a while since he’s coached. People can improve as they see things from different perspectives. I think he deserves a chance. Mistakes are made and people can learn from them. 

He has plenty of draft picks to work with and he’s not alone in building this team. Fans don’t like him rebuilding a team that hasn’t seen the playoffs in 16 years. They weren’t close to being a contender haha. Don’t understand the enormous amount of hate tossed at that situation.