Sunday/Monday Firings: Patience rarely pays off, and can be very costly.

mannc

5 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

He might be a good guy, a master motivator and have an eye for young defensive talent..

But he is not perfect.. He seems to favour a very conservative game plan...and  also struggles with some game day coaching decisions..,

I would bring him back in 2019 as I’m hoping he is still learning and Allen needs some stability after this years cluster..

Let’s see how they improve next year with the $90 mil and the draft picks... they had better or I suggest he will be in trouble for 2020..

Guess I would really like a better understanding of the conservative game planning. 

We go go for it on 4th down - numerous times around the field - yes he has occasionally punted on 4th down around mid-field, but he also goes for it at several places.

Once again before the half - he allowed a young rookie QB to throw to try and get points and it cost him a pick, but he still let him throw.

What I see is a defensive coach that has some gambler in him, but has a very young and very untalented team and that seems to drive some decisions.  Late in the half he likes to run on first down to see what the opponent is going to do.  He want to eat some clock and try to ensure that he gets the ball last.  

I thought this year as the team got experience he has opened things up and taken more risks, but there are some people that have already labeled him a bust and ultra conservative when he has had a very bad team and has made the playoffs once already.

Gotta Love it ?

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he coached conservative last year and at times early this year. The last few weeks as his comfort level with Josh Allen has grown he has clearly been more aggressive in my view. Gone for 4th and short (hell he went for a 4th and 2 and let Allen sneak a 4th and 2!!) thrown it at the end of halves (threw it against Detroit as well when we could have kept running guaranteed to make them use time outs and punted) and not gone for stupidly long FGs. How much that is a season with nothing on it and Hauschka's health concerns vs a genuine change of emphasis remains to be seen, but he has clearly been more aggressive. 

Until his kicker was hurt that is. The end of the first half in Detroit was bad. That should be a quick out or throw it away. It was still in range for a healthy Hauschka and instead ended up being a bomb short of the end zone. 

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Guess I would really like a better understanding of the conservative game planning. 

We go go for it on 4th down - numerous times around the field - yes he has occasionally punted on 4th down around mid-field, but he also goes for it at several places.

Once again before the half - he allowed a young rookie QB to throw to try and get points and it cost him a pick, but he still let him throw.

What I see is a defensive coach that has some gambler in him, but has a very young and very untalented team and that seems to drive some decisions.  Late in the half he likes to run on first down to see what the opponent is going to do.  He want to eat some clock and try to ensure that he gets the ball last.  

I thought this year as the team got experience he has opened things up and taken more risks, but there are some people that have already labeled him a bust and ultra conservative when he has had a very bad team and has made the playoffs once already.

Gotta Love it ?

He almost always punts. Last game to end a bad season and he finally starts gambling. I think your forgetting the rest of his conservative 2 years here. It's like watching Jauron 2.0 sometimes.

13 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Until his kicker was hurt that is. The end of the first half in Detroit was bad. That should be a quick out or throw it away. It was still in range for a healthy Hauschka and instead ended up being a bomb short of the end zone. 

He almost always punts. Last game to end a bad season and he finally starts gambling. I think your forgetting the rest of his conservative 2 years here. It's like watching Jauron 2.0 sometimes.

I don't think the last 4 or 5 games have been. It wasn't just yesterday. 

I'd like to see better playcalling on 1st and 2nd downs.  Seems like we're consistently sending shady into the right side of the line on first down and usually on second down.  You can almost predict every first down play.  Run, run, pass was old school football.  Need more play action, screens and passes to the running back to loosen up defenses.  We also seem to play soft defense after getting the lead - need to be more aggressive after taking a lead. 

6 hours ago, mannc said:

The coaches who’ve been fired so far, or certainly will be tomorrow—Bowles, Koetter, and Joseph—all should have been fired last year, but were kept around in the interest of continuity.  As a result, those franchises wasted a year finding out what was already obvious to any sentient observer—that those guys were not good coaches.  Put the Browns in this category, too.  If they had fired Hue Jackson at the end of last season, as he so richly deserved, they probably would be preparing for a playoff game right now.

It seems clear that McDermott is going to survive Black Monday, but should he?  By giving him another season, are we wasting a year of Josh Allen’s cheap rookie contract?  Are we stunting his development by making him play for a coach who turtles any time he finds himself with a 14-point lead?  

Posts like this make me seriously wonder what you're watching....education must be at an all time low.

Is he the offensive genius that some teams have? Of course not...but he is a defensive genius.  look at what he's been able to accomplish with a unit, that only 2 years ago failed miserably for rex, where rex arguably had more talent to work with.

Not sure what else you could honestly ask for i  his first 2 seasons with this roster...unless you just don't like him or simply want to complain about everything

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think the last 4 or 5 games have been. It wasn't just yesterday. 

I can't forgive trying long field goals with a hurt kicker. Outside of that, I'd be interested in if it's him or Daboll making these changes. 

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

I can't forgive trying long field goals with a hurt kicker. Outside of that, I'd be interested in if it's him or Daboll making these changes. 

4th down decisions are almost always the Head Coach. As for throwing at the end of halves I imagine that is him giving Daboll a general steer and then Daboll from there. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, mannc said:

The coaches who’ve been fired so far, or certainly will be tomorrow—Bowles, Koetter, and Joseph—all should have been fired last year, but were kept around in the interest of continuity.  As a result, those franchises wasted a year finding out what was already obvious to any sentient observer—that those guys were not good coaches.  Put the Browns in this category, too.  If they had fired Hue Jackson at the end of last season, as he so richly deserved, they probably would be preparing for a playoff game right now.

It seems clear that McDermott is going to survive Black Monday, but should he?  By giving him another season, are we wasting a year of Josh Allen’s cheap rookie contract?  Are we stunting his development by making him play for a coach who turtles any time he finds himself with a 14-point lead?  

OMG

41 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

There were a lot of red flags this season with McBeane

1) Multiple blowout losses

2) QB situation in general, and Nathan Peterman in particular. It still blows my mind that we went into week 1 with Nathan Peterman as our starter and Allen the only other QB on the roster. No excuse for that. 

3) Cap usage. The salary cap hell we are in is mostly McBeane's fault. 

4) Mediocre/bad FA signings and trades (kelvin benjamin) 

That being said, a 6-10 finish is about the best you could've hoped for with this roster. Next season is the make or break year IMO. 

All causes for concern. Also the inability to get a handle on the penalties. But even so, I think he’s learning and he looks like a great motivator and leader. I like him.

What they really need, IMO, is to finally add talent overall instead of experiencing a net loss from year to year. It’s not his coaching but his and Beane’s roster management that needs to really improve. If that doesn’t happen this year with the money and picks they have then yes, they both should go.

I’m not sold on McDermott and his cookie cutter style. 

I think Beane’s head is still in Carolina with all the ex-Panthers he drags onto the roster, and Cam Newton as his model for a Franchise QB. 

Still, I don’t need the Bills to become the Cleveland Browns and replace Coaches every 2-years. Tripping over themselves to bring a re-tread in like Jim Caldwell or Mike McCarthy. 

Winning should be in front of the Bills in 2019. Beane has referenced “The Plan”. So the building blocks are there - cap space, nice compliment of draft picks and Josh Allen with experience in his back pocket. 

It’s time for real expectations on this FO and Coach. Fans need to raise their bar. There shouldn’t be excuses next season. If we start hearing about how the offensive line hasn’t had time to gel, or Allen doesn’t have timing down with his new wide receivers as this team limps out the gate then by all means start roasting Beane and McDermott. This regime gets next year to get results or they deserve to be fired. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Bill Cowher in the postgame show said McD should be considered for coach of the year considering the lack of talent on this team. It is problematic that Sean takes his foot off the petal (which is the opposite of what Belichick would do). He's gotta teach these guys to have a killer instinct. Hopefully that comes next year. 

I believe next year will be a very different season than this one!!!

35 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It was not just the last game, but keep believing that if it makes you feel better.

They have gone for 4th downs over 18 times this year - top half of the league.  

That number has increased as the offense and Allen has settled in.  He has also had (like this week) a few 4th down attempts negated by penalty- like yesterday’s false start or we would be in the upper 3rd of the league.

I do not think he is conservative and I do not think he is aggressive- I think he was playing very much into the strength of his team last year and earlier this year - his defense.  Once Allen got got his feet wet and showed what he could do (about the last 4 weeks) and they started working things - he has switched focus and been more aggressive.

I would never call him Jauron 2.0 because that is just plain wrong.

6 hours ago, mannc said:

GTFOH with this crap.

Anyone who thinks 2019 will be McDermott’s last season have no idea they type of influence he has at One Bills Drive.  Remember, when he came into Buffalo Terry gave him a ton on control and after his hiring you saw a lot of big changes happen within the organization which you could assume had his finger prints on (firing Whaley and Berchtold, bringing in Beane and Boyko).

A 6-10ish season was definitely expected to clean up the cap, and I have no doubt that Terry is anything but 100% supportive of McDermott.  Especially given the progression of Josh Allen.

Anyone who who thinks a coach with this much power and reverence by ownership would suddenly be on “thin ice” next season is crazy. 

Short of a 0-16 season, I don’t see how McDermott and Beane don’t get 2020, and they’ll likely get to finish out their contract in 2021.  

47 minutes ago, freeagentqb said:

I'd like to see better playcalling on 1st and 2nd downs.  Seems like we're consistently sending shady into the right side of the line on first down and usually on second down.  You can almost predict every first down play.  Run, run, pass was old school football.  Need more play action, screens and passes to the running back to loosen up defenses.  We also seem to play soft defense after getting the lead - need to be more aggressive after taking a lead. 

So let’s challenge this a bit - all drives starting in the first quarter - so close game and lots of time left.  On first down the Bills ran the ball 2 times - once for a 9 yard gain on the first play and once for a 1 yard TD by Allen (QB sneak).  They passed the ball on first down 6 times (one was a sack) and got a passing TD to Jones.

At that point they built a 14 point lead.

Then I agree they get an itch and try to run more in the second quarter with the lead - 3 first downs - 3 runs and the half ends tied.

3rd quarter they rebuilt the lead there were 3 first down runs and 4 first down passes with one of those pass attempts ending up as an Allen scramble.  They rebuilt the lead to 11 points by the end of the 3 quarter.

The 4th quarter - especially early saw the same aggression with 4 out of 5 first down plays as drop backs with one Allen scramble for his 30 yard TD. At that point they were up big and running the clock and ran the ball on 2 of their last 3 first downs.

For the game they ran the ball 11 times on first down including a QB sneak for a TD.

They dropped back to pass the ball 15 times on first down with one of them being a sack and 2 ending up as Allen scrambles.

The passing on first down continued even when they were up 35 to 17 and then the Kyle Williams pass at 42 to 17.

I do agree they get conservative at times, but I think they understand the best way to protect a QB is to try and keep them in manageable downs and distances.