End of Season Rank the rookie QB's

RPbillsfan

I don’t buy Lamar Jackson or the Ravens. They won today, but once again Jackson is in the 100’s passing and the Raven’s opponent has the ball on the final possession with a chance to win.  

I think Mayfield and Darnold have both shown a higher gear as a passer than Allen. 

The Cardinals are really bad. Rosen looks a bit frail. 

1. Mayfield 

2. Darnold

3. Allen

4. Rosen

5. Jackson

Just now, Patrick_Duffy said:

It is nice to see the Browns finally have a QB that fans can be proud of.

I am actually excited for something other than the draft.  It's amazing.  Even going 10-6 in 2007, it was evident Anderson wasn't the answer long term. This is completely different. 

I'd say it is:

1. Mayfield

2. Darnold/Allen (tie)

3. Jackson

4. Rosen

Long term I probably like Rosen's odds of overtaking Jackson. But Rosen does have bigger bust potential. Jackson will always have a place on a roster due to his athletic ability alone. But as a legitimate franchise QB you just can't look to run as much as he does and expect to be successful long term. Allen isn't in the same boat as Jackson. Allen is a mobile QB but not a guy that looks to run first and run often. Allen might just be the most mobile QB we have ever seen.

I think ranking Darnold and Allen as a tie right now is the most accurate thing to do. I believe they both have the same number of wins on the season. Both on pretty bad teams. Darnold was the better passer but that was expected. Allen's mobility really exceeded expectations. And I think Allen played noticeably better in the second half of the season compared to his first so it is easier to project him as playing better overall next year. It seemed like Darnold was about even in his up and down games from start to finish.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd like to see a ranking of the offensive lines for these teams. Browns looked ok, Baltimore was solid, Bills were awful, Cards were god awful, and I think maybe the Jets were just ok. Seems to be about how the stats broke down for the QBs. Mayfield looks much better than the rest as far as consistency, but after that it gets harder to separate them with overall team play. 

15 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This Season

Mayfield

Allen

Darnold/Jackson

Rosen

Next Season

Mayfield/Allen

Darnold

Jackson

Rosen

Allens QB rating was higher today then Rosen, Baker or Jackson and with 95 yards rushing and 2 rushing TD's I would think the QBR numbers (for what they're worth) will stay pretty much the same with Allen solidly in 2nd place.   

Like I said, I think the order will remain the same, but I would assume that Baker scored higher than a 53 this week, so he'll probably pull further ahead of Allen than he already is and Lamar probably scored higher than a 44, so I'd imagine he'll close the gap on Allen somewhat (though still be behind him).

Honestly, it’s a pretty exciting group of quarterbacks.  This class could end up being legendary.

i can’t tell if it’s the homer in me, but if I had a choice of any of them, I’d still want the Bills to have Allen.  I wouldn’t rank him on top right now, and put Mayfield on top for sure - but Allen just owns some crucial intangibles.  

He he has that Buffalo toughness, and is a real leader.  I think my favorite play today was his diving attempted tackle on the pick 6 - the effort to strip the ball was textbook.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RPbillsfan said:

Now that the regular season I'd like to provide two rankings:

1.  The 2018 Regular Season

1. Baker Mayfield

2. Lamar Jackson

3. Josh Allen 

4. Sam Darnold

5. Josh Rosen

Kinda stating obvious

Long Term Potential

1.  Josh Allen

His work ethic and his potential with significant improvements on the line and receiver group will lead to an amazing jump in year 2 and beyond.

2.  Sam Darnold 

Tough choice here as I like Darnold's upside with better talent around him.  Has size, developing pocket awareness, great touch and accuracy.  More experience will lead to fewer turnovers.

3.  Baker Mayfield

Think he is close to being as good as he is going to get.  Older, with better weapons around him.  Great accuracy, pocket awareness and attitude.  May be limited long term by size and lack of running ability.

4.  Lamar Jackson

Needs a lot of development as a passer.  Teams will learn how to defense him and keep him in the pocket.  Has a solid arm but does have runners mindset and tends to take off if his first read is taken away.  Could be great or fade to average.

5.  Josh Rosen

Just seems to be lacking in a lot of areas, arm strength? Meh, mobility, none, leadership, meh, dedication to the game, tbd.  Honestly don't think he's around at the end of his contract.  Shall I say, Blaine Gabbert.

Yup Baker will be limited just like Brees and Wilson.

1. Darnold

2. Mayfield

3. Allen

4. Jackson

5. Rosen

Darnold is so polished and will finally break the streak of failed USC qbs. Mayfield's accuracy will be his strength and his personality will be his weakness. Allen made great strides and nobody on this planet knew he was this athletic. Still needs to work on accuracy/ ball placement on slants. Lamar will look flashy for a couple of years like RG3 but he will never be a pocket passer.  Injuries will eventually send Rosen into politics. 

And Mahomes will dominate all these guys.....

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

Im going to rank them according to the big picture and not just stats.

1-Mayfield

2-Allen

3-Jackson

4-Darnold

5-Rosen

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

I don't understand the Jackson hype. Tyrod 2.0. Extremely limited in pass game

Not Tyrod.  If Tyrod was 6'5"  we would have already had our QB.

25 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I don’t get the love for Lamar

I've said this alot recently. People point to the record but Tyrod would have had a great record when Roman was OC , IF we had the #1 D . You take away an OC that is a masterful run game coordinator and if that D dips to average and you got a Tyrod Taylor basically, who is currently a backup. 

Lamar is just sooooo limited in the pass game, I just don't see him progressing to a level that is sustainable for success. Even with this great run game , he only eclipsed 200 yards once, sound familiar Bills fans? He's been purely a product of a great , unorthodox run scheme and a great defense. 

I'd personally have him 4th,  barely ahead of Rosen. 

If anyone wants to chime in as to why they are so high on him , I'd love to hear the reasons , not being sarcastic or condescending. I truly don't understand the hype 

5 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Im going to rank them according to the big picture and not just stats.

1-Mayfield

2-Allen

3-Jackson

4-Darnold

5-Rosen

Not Tyrod.  If Tyrod was 6'5"  we would have already had our QB.

Jackson is almost 6'3. Taylor is 6'1. Both are phenomenal athletes. Both also are below average at best in the pass game 

40 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

This isn't updated for this week yet. They've only graded 7 of today's games, and haven't graded Baker, Lamar, or Rosen yet. I assume it'll be the same order still but I'd guess the gap between Baker and Allen will be a little larger than that.

Before the season, I had them ranked, in terms of being ready to play this year:

1. Baker

2. Lamar

3. Rosen

4. Allen

5. Darnold

In terms of overall rankings, I had it:

1. Lamar

2. Darnold

3. Allen

4. Baker

5. Rosen

After seeing them all play this year, I'd probably go:

1A. Baker

1B. Lamar

3. Allen

4. Darnold

5. Rosen

I think Allen is better than Jackson and until today neither played to Mayfields current level.  Pay close attention to Baltimores offense.  I think they may have 25 plays in Jacksons entire playbook.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I've said this alot recently. People point to the record but Tyrod would have had a great record when Roman was OC , IF we had the #1 D . You take away an OC that is a masterful run game coordinator and if that D dips to average and you got a Tyrod Taylor basically, who is currently a backup. 

Lamar is just sooooo limited in the pass game, I just don't see him progressing to a level that is sustainable for success. Even with this great run game , he only eclipsed 200 yards once, sound familiar Bills fans? He's been purely a product of a great , unorthodox run scheme and a great defense. 

I'd personally have him 4th,  barely ahead of Rosen. 

If anyone wants to chime in as to why they are so high on him , I'd love to hear the reasons , not being sarcastic or condescending. I truly don't understand the hype 

Jackson is almost 6'3. Taylor is 6'1. Both are phenomenal athletes. Both also are below average at best in the pass game 

I thought he was taller than that.

Just now, BlueandRed said:

You put Allen ahead of Darnold?  Don’t let your homerism blind your judgement. 

Darnold didnt put the team on his back the way Allen has.  How many games did Darnold have 5 TDs. and account for 300+ yards with better WRs and Oline.

15 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I thought he was taller than that.

Darnold didnt put the team on his back the way Allen has.  How many games did Darnold have 5 TDs. and account for 300+ yards with better WRs and Oline.

He's listed as 6'3. I remember his combine , he's about 6'2 1/2.

Agree on Allen too. He's put the O on his back since coming back. He has that "it" factor I just don't see in Darnold. I think Darnold can be a good QB , I just think Allen could be a special one. That arm talent with the running ability at 6'5 240 is unheard of. And you know he's going to work his butt off to clean up his game.  I'm expecting a big jjump next year, that's a scary thought for our opponents. Glad 17 is a Bill baby!!

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I think Allen is better than Jackson and until today neither played to Mayfields current level.  Pay close attention to Baltimores offense.  I think they may have 25 plays in Jacksons entire playbook.

Lamar has completely transformed that team and he's nowhere near his potential ceiling. Allen isn't near his yet either. If either of them are able to reach their respective ceilings, they'll probably be MVP candidates IMO.

• Like (+1) 1