Thoughts on McDermott, Beane after the 2018 Season

billsgpr88

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

Using a golf analogy, I'm at par with Beane and McDermott. 

1. Record wise, they are the same as Marrone and Rex through two seasons. I hear you on the Playoff birth, watching the fans jump for joy and the Bills locker room erupt was great. But they scored 3 points and got bounced immediately on a day where Bortles was horrid, so it's not going in the keepsake of Bills moments for me. 

2. They've shipped off many of the Whaley cornerstone's with only McCoy, Clay, Hughes, Mills and Alexander as holdovers, and have given the Bills a clean slate in terms of cap space. They were right on Watkins, right on Dareus, as I don't think those guys together add one win to the Bills total this season.

3. Their free agent signings so far have been average. Murphy and Star were ok. Vlad Ducasse is below average as has been replaced. Tolbert is a 260 pound Fullback and was kept as the only backup to McCoy in 2017. Ivory is ok. Their WR trades have not worked, Matthews, Clay, Coleman or Benjamin. Boldin was way past his prime, Vontae Davis was hurt/old, Philly Brown was a fringe player, Joe Webb stuck for one year, our punter needs replaced. They missed on Peterman and McCarron. The Rick Dennison offense was from 1974. 

4. They've had some hits in the Draft, but have largely spent any excess capital trading up for players. 

So in the end I'm excited to hear Beane speak to the media this afternoon. I look forward to FA and the Draft. I just want the bar of expectation to be raised. I think in Buffalo we give too much credit for ordinary things. Finding an average starter in Free Agency on a non-Playoff team, for example. Fans go back to the old phrases when there are no results, new schemes, new culture, new receivers, blaming past regimes, learning how to win, being "young". 

The good and the bad together leave me at, just win in 2019. We heard Buddy Nix all those years ago say that we aren't that far away. Eight years later we're still not a good NFL team. So let's see the baby and stop telling me about the labor pains. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

What is winning? 9-7? Must make the playoffs?  Win the super bowl?

10 wins is the bar. Not 8-8, 9-7 hanging on with play-in scenarios. 

Miami will have a new Coach, Jets will have new Coach and Brady will be 42 next season. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

18 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

There is no McBeane the use of the word is misleading.

There most certainly is a McBeane. Bills fans on here have been referring to the two men as that since Brandon Beane was hired. Saying that is a  misleading topic is in of itself a misrepresentation. 

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think a realistic view of that Playoff berth is in order. On the whole it was positive. Ending a 17-year Playoff Drought was a huge monkey off the back. But, they benched Tyrod for Peterman and that blew up in their faces immediately, and the Coach "regretted the result of the decision". Then they scored 3 points in Jacksonville on a day when Blake Bortles was atrocious. Yes, you ended The Drought. But that performance was poor. The 3-points that day foreshawdowed the 31st ranked offense we saw for the majority of 2018. Like fans are supposed to hold onto the memory of a 3-point output in Jacksonville in the time capsule of their memory banks as an elite moment. They went one and done, went out of the Playoffs with a whimper.

Just shy of a miracle? Now come on. The Bills were 15-17 under Marrone, 15-16 under Rex, and now 15-17 under McDermott. Theoretically they have set themselves up to get better with the cap space. But, look at the FA WR's ready to hit the market. The receivers they've traded for have all bombed out. The running backs they've signed are old. If the bar is finding a veteran starter on a sub 0.500 team then I don't think that's a very high bar. Bills fans give the team tons of credit for finding average starters on non-Playoff teams. Where are the difference makers? Alexander was a Whaley find, so was Hughes, so were Hyde and Poyer, so was McCoy (who is done). 

My question to you is - when does the excellence start? When does the team get to 10+ wins? Not hovering around 0.500 hoping to gimp into the Playoffs as the 6th seed? 

McDermott most definitely gets credit for signing Hyde and Poyer. He was the head coach when they were signed. 

The NFL moves fast.

McDermott is under.500 Head Coach overall (15-17).  Under .500 in the AFC EAST (4-8).  One of the worst at Replay Challenges (1 for 10).

under McDermott the Bills Offense went from 19 points per game in 2017 to 16 points per game in 2018.  And his speciality is NOT on Offense so it’s not like we are looking to Him for ideas on fixing the offense.

IMO

2019 will be McDermotts 3rd Season and Allen’s 2nd Season.  AND IF YOU WANT to hold Buffalo to the bar/standard of other teams around the league then the pressure on MCDERMOTT and ALLEN is tremendous.

I’m not sure I see a scenario where they both survive 2019 unless it ends in Playoffs.

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Next year need to WIN or time to move on. 

They have 3 more years.

6 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

They better infuse this team with talent in the off-season because they're on the clock. 

Yup, a clock that has an alarm set for 12:00AM on Dec. 30, 2021.

• Haha (+1) 1

Most people in this thread are a complete joke. Here are the facts:

Nationally starting to be recognized as one of the best coach/GM combos in the league. 

Took one of the worst cap situations and turned it into arguably the best situations in 2 seasons by trading away "talent" that has not produced since the day they left. 

Won 6 and were competitive in all but 4 games with $50 million in cap space and starting rookies, UDFA, and second year players at over 1/2 of the 22 starting positions.

First playoff birth in 17 years and one of the most memorable days in the history of the Buffalo Bills the day they clinched as a first year HC/GM.

Drafted the most exciting QB and player the franchise has had in 25 years and maybe ever, and by all accounts, has outperformed what was expected.

Drafted a 20 year old middle linebacker that looks, by all accounts, like a superstar and someone that can lead this defense for a decade.

Orchestrated one of the best retirement days of a loved player, certain to be on the WOF.

And that's just a portion of it, doesn't include the hiring of Daboll, Frazier, the 2nd ranked defense in 2018, Tre White, Matt Milano, Taron Johnson. 

7 head coaches were fired the last 2 days, plus McCarthy. Many of them will get another HC job. You want any of those retreads? 

3 more years minimum folks. Any less would be a joke just like the Armchair GM's and HC's in this thread.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

34 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

There most certainly is a McBeane. Bills fans on here have been referring to the two men as that since Brandon Beane was hired. Saying that is a  misleading topic is in of itself a misrepresentation. 

McDermott most definitely gets credit for signing Hyde and Poyer. He was the head coach when they were signed. 

Doug Whaley is a pariah I get it, but he was the GM and head of the Pro Personnel department. 

McDermott was coming off a season in which he was a DC, and was a HC for 2 1/2 months at the time of those signings. 

Furthermore, your owner said that Whaley and McDermott were working hand in hand on FA and the Draft, and there was crying when he was let go. 

McDermott gets the credit, but he was not a scout and did not run the scouting department pro or college. 

29 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

The NFL moves fast.

McDermott is under.500 Head Coach overall (15-17).  Under .500 in the AFC EAST (4-8).  One of the worst at Replay Challenges (1 for 10).

under McDermott the Bills Offense went from 19 points per game in 2017 to 16 points per game in 2018.  And his speciality is NOT on Offense so it’s not like we are looking to Him for ideas on fixing the offense.

IMO

2019 will be McDermotts 3rd Season and Allen’s 2nd Season.  AND IF YOU WANT to hold Buffalo to the bar/standard of other teams around the league then the pressure on MCDERMOTT and ALLEN is tremendous.

I’m not sure I see a scenario where they both survive 2019 unless it ends in Playoffs.

Extremely excited you don't own the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Next year need to WIN or time to move on. 

I am in agreement with Bobby and I am one of McD's biggest supporters

I believe that we are in year 2 not 1 of a major rebiuld.......I think that McD nearly has his defense set (its not perfect yet.....but despite the hiccups here and there it IS pretty darn good) it will be interesting to see if Frasier is retained as DC with McD's number 1 choice for his defense on the market......

but to me "winning" does not mean a super bowl birth (not saying that you mean that Bobby) "winning" to me means a playoff birth next year.....with the undertanding that even next year the team will not be completely set but it will be ENOUGH set that we should be able to actually run the ball.....have a start QB in his second year that needs to take that leap forward.....a OL that doesnt look like a ***** show week to week that can actually execute blocking on a screen pass....and enough offensive playmaker that we can move the ball and score points when needed

I am NOT expecting a complete product....I AM expecting a solid team that can beat other bad teams and hang with good teams week to week....that should be enough for a playoff birth

THen......another year of draft picks and free agency to fine tune......and I expect a CONTENDING team

and yes....I think McD is a hell of a coach

33 minutes ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

Most people in this thread are a complete joke. Here are the facts:

Jokes because they criticize elements of the team? Are the Buffalo Bills above any criticism?

Nationally starting to be recognized as one of the best coach/GM combos in the league. 

Where has that been printed? 

Took one of the worst cap situations and turned it into arguably the best situations in 2 seasons by trading away "talent" that has not produced since the day they left. 

Agree, they were right on Watkins and Dareus. Not sure they had to get rid of Darby. 

Won 6 and were competitive in all but 4 games with $50 million in cap space and starting rookies, UDFA, and second year players at over 1/2 of the 22 starting positions.

This is trying to give credit for mediocre results. 

First playoff birth in 17 years and one of the most memorable days in the history of the Buffalo Bills the day they clinched as a first year HC/GM.

Agree. 

Drafted the most exciting QB and player the franchise has had in 25 years and maybe ever, and by all accounts, has outperformed what was expected.

Bravo to Allen on yesterday. Best game all season. He was erratic in 2018 though. 

Drafted a 20 year old middle linebacker that looks, by all accounts, like a superstar and someone that can lead this defense for a decade.

Superstar? 

Orchestrated one of the best retirement days of a loved player, certain to be on the WOF.

Ok

And that's just a portion of it, doesn't include the hiring of Daboll, Frazier, the 2nd ranked defense in 2018, Tre White, Matt Milano, Taron Johnson. 

2nd in yards, not in points

7 head coaches were fired the last 2 days, plus McCarthy. Many of them will get another HC job. You want any of those retreads? 

Hue Jackson - No, Adam Gase - Interesting, Vance Joseph - No, Todd Bowels - No, Steve Wilks - No, Mike McCarthy - No, Koetter - No, Marvin Lewis - Heck No

3 more years minimum folks. Any less would be a joke just like the Armchair GM's and HC's in this thread.

Three more years guaranteed? We have to see some winning. That’s just me. Getting rid of GMs is difficult and not advised. 

Responses attached.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

22 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I believe that we are in year 2 not 1 of a major rebiuld.......I think that McD nearly has his defense set (its not perfect yet.....but despite the hiccups here and there it IS pretty darn good) it will be interesting to see if Frasier is retained as DC with McD's number 1 choice for his defense on the market......

but to me "winning" does not mean a super bowl birth (not saying that you mean that Bobby) "winning" to me means a playoff birth next year.....with the undertanding that even next year the team will not be completely set but it will be ENOUGH set that we should be able to actually run the ball.....have a start QB in his second year that needs to take that leap forward.....a OL that doesnt look like a ***** show week to week that can actually execute blocking on a screen pass....and enough offensive playmaker that we can move the ball and score points when needed

I am NOT expecting a complete product....I AM expecting a solid team that can beat other bad teams and hang with good teams week to week....that should be enough for a playoff birth

THen......another year of draft picks and free agency to fine tune......and I expect a CONTENDING team

I agree with all of this. 

I am excited for this offseason and ready to see what the Bills FO does. 

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

What is winning? 9-7? Must make the playoffs?  Win the super bowl?

Must make playoffs. With drastic improvement on offense

30 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Winning for me is a solid playoff birth. Not backed in. And also a drastic improvement on offense. 

Not even saying they MUST win in the playoffs. Just a legit birth (not backed into). If by year three you are not easily in playoffs time to move on. 

Obviously caveat Josh Allen healthy all year. Hard to blame coach if backup QB has to play significant time. 

Edited by MAJBobby

20 hours ago, billsgpr88 said:

I hardly ever post on this board, but I'm on here all the time. It's a great way to pass the time during commute to and from work, and despite the backlash that comes from many of the posters regarding controversial issues (QB play, coaching, front office), I usually find merit in most of the perspectives on the board. As the season is now officially over, I thought I'd give my two cents on  perhaps the most controversial topic on the board: McBeane. I've heard from both sides since the era began, those being the "It's a rebuild!" side and the "Fire the incompetent j@ck@sses!" side. Here is my brief estimation of each:

The former camp's take is valid when looking at the Bills, and other NFL franchises from a historical perspective. Successful franchises typically find a good coach and stick with them (Belicheck, Sean Payton, Pete Carroll, Mike Tomlin, etc.), and perhaps these coaches needed time to establish their culture and implement their playbook in order to attain their success (a more diligent member of TSW can look in to their respective histories). With this in mind, the more patient Bills fans are willing to give this front office and coaching staff time to get the players they want, install their playbook, and achieve some level of continuity with both, as opposed to the carousel of coaches (esp. offensive coordinators) we have witnessed the past 10 years. How much can we really expect from this roster? Burdened by a terrible cap situation, we were left with a rookie QB from a small school who was expected to be a project, An o-line made up of journeymen and low draft picks, a receiving corps that has had little success gaining separation and holding on to the ball when they do, and a defense led by two great, but very old players. At this stage of "the process", we can't be certain of what we really have.

Yet the Bills historically long period of mediocrity has worn much of the fanbase's patience thin. For these fans, the glaring issues arise: What's with all the penalties? Why drop 50m on Star, when he has appeared serviceable at best? Why did they even consider bringing in Tolbert last year, and trading a 3rd for Benjamin this year? And what about all of McDermott's in-game management gaffes? These issues are definitely worthy of our consternation, and though we can chalk them up to the learning curves of both McDermott and Beane, they are mistakes nonetheless. What has been most discouraging, I think, is the 4-5 games both this season and last in which the Bills looked terrible... Like, literally the worst team in the league. I don't know what causes these duds, and they seem to plague most NFL teams with the exception of the elite ones, but it is hard to watch. The Ravens, Chargers, Packers, and Bears games this year, and the losing streak last year which culminated in Peterman's heroics in LA come to mind. These games all have mitigating circumstances, but they all occurred during the McBeane era. One thing is certain: good teams never show up looking like that.

I watched this season with mild expectations, and do hold a lot of optimism for the 2019 season. We have, for the first time in God knows how long, A qb that really looks like he can lead a team and not just keep it afloat. We also have a massive amount of cap space and 10 picks in the upcoming draft, so there is a lot of potential to grow. I'm still not sold on McBeane, nor am I ready to chuck 'em, but I guess the whole point of this post is to voice my understanding of both camps, and to allow the rest of TSW to chime in with their views on all things McBeane

Oh, a fair and balanced post!  We can't have that here!

I have concerns about them both as you cite.  (the Benjamin trade was last year.  this year was bringing in Vontae Davis and Corey Coleman)

I don't know who said it: "hire smart people and give them time to figure it out".  I think they have both done enough to earn the time to see if they'll figure it out. 

A lot of their ultimate success and failure is going to hinge on things they can't directly control: the trajectory of the players and coaches they've put in place this year.  Will Allen tear into the offseason, work double-hard on his footwork and his ability to read the field and see what the D is giving him?  Will Edmunds dedicate himself to honing his craft in a Bruce-Smith like way?  Or will they bask in being young and having by most folks' standards, unlimited money?  Will Daboll learn from his mistakes this year?

A lot more will be seen from the direction Beane chooses in FA and the draft.  The Carolina team Beane grew up with, IMO, under-invested in offensive line and offensive skills players.  Is that a mistake Beane will learn from, or a model he will follow?  The offensive player evaluation has been a bit suspect.  Will they make changes in their evaluators there?  As @SDS said elsewhere, it's a painfully shallow take when people look at a situation where the player talent is lacking, and conclude that the coach sucks.  It's on Beane to give McDermott good grist for his mill.

• Like (+1) 2