So just to recap....as we enter the offeseason

And we are now officially there

Dead cap crap sandwich officially done and eaten (ewwww)

9th overall pick

10 picks (for now) in the draft

90 million in cap space

Future QB secured and games of experience under his belt

Oh....nearly forgot....a pretty good defense as well

:)

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 minute ago, All I Need is Hope said:

Some room for optimism, but this team needs a lot.  I also wish that Edmunds and Allen showed more to give us more than hope for the future.

Edmunds had 120 tackles, 2 ints, 2 sacks as a 20-year-old rookie and looks like he's poised to take over reins as defensive leader at 21 next year. Allen had 5 tds today and almost led the league in qb rushing despite missing nearly half of season. It's hard to expect much more.

On another note: they may have found two starters at key positions in the 2018 UDFA market which is pretty impressive.

And...don't look now, but Browns about to have ball and if they get 50 yards or so, we can claim #1 defense.

8 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

7 picks in rounds 4-7. 

Multiple other teams have plenty of cap room. And UFAs know it. 

Defense itaelf is nice, but less important than many fans realize. 

They need significant help at RB, WR, TE, and at least 3 OL positions. 

In the last two drafts, we got Milano and Taron Johnson in those rounds.

Yes, other teams have cap room, but we have more, hence can outbid -- more importantly, it gives freedom to re-sign our own guys. 

3 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

In the last two drafts, we got Milano and Taron Johnson in those rounds.

Yes, other teams have cap room, but we have more, hence can outbid -- more importantly, it gives freedom to re-sign our own guys. 

At this point, 2 other teams have more cap space and two are within 15M of Buffalo.  Besides, this will change significantly by March when the new year begins. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2019/

BTW, which guys is this team going to re-sign?  It's too early according to the CBA for the '17 draft picks.  And who from '15 or '16 are the types to retain on big contracts? 

Meanwhile, the hit rate after round 4 is low, so if you're looking for top end starters there, the chances are very slim.  Johnson is injured all the time and Milano has finished his first two seasons on IR. 

49 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

7 picks in rounds 4-7. 

Multiple other teams have plenty of cap room. And UFAs know it. 

Defense itaelf is nice, but less important than many fans realize. 

They need significant help at RB, WR, TE, and at least 3 OL positions. 

Oh ok, other teams have cap room.  Guess we should just give up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, All I Need is Hope said:

Some room for optimism, but this team needs a lot.  I also wish that Edmunds and Allen showed more to give us more than hope for the future.

I hope you're being sarcastic here because IMO they both showed us a lot to be optimistic about the future. 

46 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Johnson is injured all the time and Milano has finished his first two seasons on IR. 

Johnson sustained a (I think) shoulder injury early in the season and tried to play through it all season, hoping to delay surgery until the offseason.  He almost made it.  To say he is injured all the time is misrepresenting what actually happened.

• Like (+1) 1

Most important off season in 2 decades.  A good off-season and we're definitely contenders. A great one and we could be one of the elites in the AFC .

Either way,the future is so bright. I can't stop talking about how much I love the vision and blueprint McBeane implemented 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Most important off season in 2 decades.  A good off-season and we're definitely contenders. A great one and we could be one of the elites in the AFC .

Either way,the future is so bright. I can't stop talking about how much I love the vision and blueprint McBeane implemented 

Huge off season  They spend wisely in FA and have a decent draft and this team should jump up to 10 wins.  Jets/Dolphins look like both will be once again rebuilding/reshuffling.  Brady/Gronk one year older. 

Johnson is physical, to be sure.  I remember another Buffalo cornerback who was considered undersized, yet was very physical.  Antoine Winfield had himself a very nice NFL career.  Yes, it's possible Johnson could have recurring injury issues.  Buffalo will want to kleep working on building depth at defensive back.  I hope Johnson continues to play with confidence and physicality though.