Looking like we will be number 1 in D

Hebert19

10 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Browns are putting up some yards on ravens and we gave up 225.  

Anyone know what we needed to beat them by to jump back into 1.  

Meaningless stat.   But something to build on  

By my math, Browns would need about 445 yards. They currently have 316 and there's a lot of time, so long shot, but not impossible.

18th in pts allowed. Yards are irrelevant.

Average defense with good secondary.

Sure...  something to build on. Just don’t want anyone getting delusional on us.  

21 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

I'd give up some yardage if it meant improving the red zone D

Exactly. Points allowed is the only way to measure defense. That’s their job. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Sure...  something to build on. Just don’t want anyone getting delusional on us.  

The offense is part of that problem though. Bad offenses put defenses in bad positions all the time.

The defense can definitely get better. I don't think they are average, though. They are certainly a good defense.

Just now, MJS said:

The offense is part of that problem though. Bad offenses put defenses in bad positions all the time.

The defense can definitely get better. I don't think they are average, though. They are certainly a good defense.

So all of the pick 6s and turnovers on our own side of the field should count but not total yardage?

Our run D still needs some work but our pass D is phenomenal. Look , it's a passing league, you're going to give up some catches but we held like 8 of the last 10 QB to under 200 yards, which is ridiculous. Hyde and Poyer are so underrated , they're playing S and this scheme at an extremely high level

28 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Exactly. Points allowed is the only way to measure defense. That’s their job. 

Nah, there are many ways to measure defense. Preventing the opponent from moving the ball is also their job. The NFL ranks offenses by yardage too. It’s just one metric, and obviously the most important thing in the game is scoring points while preventing your opponent from doing so. If a defense gave up a lot of yardage , but didn’t yield a lot of points it still would be a cause for concern. Are they just getting lucky? Is it penalties or turnovers or some other variable that isn’t sustainable? Conversely , if the defense gives up yardage grudgingly, why are they only average in scoring defense? Did they just get put in a lot of bad situations by the offense via turnovers or poor ST play? Are my defensive schemes not aggressive enough inside the red zone ? Both lead to questions, but I’d probably be more concerned about yielding a lot of yards and first downs. Why? It’s probably a tougher problem to solve than simply red zone defense. The points might have more to do with factors other than the actual defense.