2019 NFL Draft: Bills officially picking 9th

Virgil

3 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Mitch Moorse, Daryl Williams , Jesse James, Golden Tate would be a nice four score...... 

.......and then, in the draft......after the BPA defensive player as the 1st pick, the next two picks can flip flop with either a guard or skill position player...  Then more skill guys after that.

#9 could be a good trade down spot as Denver will no doubt be looking for a QB at #10, probably Cincy at #11 too.  Giants and Jacksonville seem like they’re not in rebuild mode.  Giants might go QB at #6, but Jacksonville will probably go after Foles or another veteran if they’re keeping Mr Personality as head coach.  How about pick #9 and a 4th rounder for A.J. Green and pick #11?

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You can't buy what isn't on the market.  And good OLmen don't come on the market very often for good reason.  OL is a place where continuity is important. 

Let's say we want to find a really good C as a FA.  Per Spotrac, candidates would include Ryan Kalil (Car), Brett Jones  and Nick Easton (Minn), Matt Paradis (Den) and Mitch Morse (KC). 

Ryan Kalil just retired.  Jones was the backup C for the Vikes and started the 1st 3 games when Elflein was out, but as soon as Elflein came back he took a seat.  Easton played guard on the Vikes good OL in 2017 and was IR'd all 2018 with a bulging disc in his neck.  So we're looking at two guys who got outplayed at the position on a totally Meh OL, one of whom is recovering from a very worrisome, often lingering, injury for a line player.  If Easton is healthy, I would expect the Vikes to re-sign him but as a LG, not a C.  Brett Jones would be a shot in the dark - he's been the backup C on two teams with crap OL (NYG and Vikes this year).

KC really likes Mitch Morse, but he took 6 weeks to recover from a concussion in Wk 6 this season, his 3rd concussion since 2015.  He's better than anyone else they have at center, so if they don't re-sign him - look very carefully under the hood, folks.  He might be one "bell ringing" away from the end of his career.

Matt Paradis, as I understand it, has become regarded as one of the top centers in the league.  Denver's OL was not "all that" this year, and Paradis ended the season on IR for a broken leg.  Again, look carefully under the hood if Denver does not re-sign him, but he seems like the most promising of the guys available.  But I would look for Denver to try to re-sign him, and they have reasonable cap space to do it.  If not, expect significant competition for his services.

So OK, you want to address the OL in FA?  Who ya gonna go after?

Great observation Hapless. 

That is the gist of my thread the other day that the Bills may want to restock the O line and WR positions in free agency this year, but it is going to be hard for them to accomplish it due to the limited options available on the market and the fact that there are a lot of teams out there with money to spend and more appealing situations for a free agent to go to.  If the Bills and the Dolphins put the same offer on the table for a player, do you think a 25 year old free agent is going to pick Buffalo?  You'd be crazy to think that South Beach, great weather, and no state income tax that adds 9% to the value of the contract won't be a big factor in the decision? 

That's why I think Beane is going to look to trades to do what he can't do in free agency.  We don't have any players to trade, but we do have draft picks to offer up.  I'd be shocked if he didn't trade for at least two players before the end of April's draft.  I could see him trading during the draft for players.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

12 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

#9 could be a good trade down spot as Denver will no doubt be looking for a QB at #10, probably Cincy at #11 too.  Giants and Jacksonville seem like they’re not in rebuild mode.  Giants might go QB at #6, but Jacksonville will probably go after Foles or another veteran if they’re keeping Mr Personality as head coach.  How about pick #9 and a 4th rounder for A.J. Green and pick #11?

If they can get AJ Green for a 4th rounder and dropping down two measly spots, you rush to the phone to accept. 

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes.  I shudder when I read about drafting a defender high.  We have got to, GOT TO, invest heavily in OL and offensive skill positions.

We need to pick up who we can in FA, but that won't be enough.  We must get at least one top OL talent in the draft.

Given a choice, I would choose a C. We need long term stability at that important position (for the QB)

9 hours ago, Mark92 said:

They're wrong.   The strength of schedule became a tie after last night's game.  Buffalo gets the tie breaker with opponets win loss record.  

How do we get official NFL confirmation that we are 9 NOT 10?  That could be a big difference in trading back 1 or 2 spots for teams like Denver or Cincy looking for a QB.  

SOMEONE PLEASE UPDATE WHEN THE NFL SHOWS WE ARE #9.  

50 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

If they can get AJ Green for a 4th rounder and dropping down two measly spots, you rush to the phone to accept. 

I’d also consider giving a 3rd or 4th rounder for desean Jackson.  Guy is still one of the best deep threats in the game.  Allen to Jackson could be a deadly combo.  Maybe he’d be amenable to playing with his buddy Shady.  Trade for Desean or A.J. and take a chance on a guy like Tyler Eifert at TE.  We have enough young WR’s and TE’s with promise.  I’d draft OL, a RB, and defense.  

1 hour ago, BuffaloButt said:

How do we get official NFL confirmation that we are 9 NOT 10?  That could be a big difference in trading back 1 or 2 spots for teams like Denver or Cincy looking for a QB.  

It's OFFICIAL!  Stop with this nonsense.  The Bills won the tie breaker with a better opponent record.   No coin flip no nothing.  Many websites have it wrong because the NFL posted the draft order before last night's game that caused the tie and tie breaker situation.  Done deal.  

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/12/30/18161826/2019-nfl-draft-order-buffalo-bills-can-claim-the-9th-pick-overall

The first tiebreaker is strength-of-schedule, which sorts out the Lions ahead of Buffalo and Denver. The Bills and Broncos have identical SOS, and so it moves to conference tiebreakers. Here is the breakdown, courtesy of Adam Stites:

1. Strength-of-schedule (opponents for both are 133-121-2)
2. Conference record (both are 4-8)
3. Common games (both are 1-4)
4. Strength-of-victory (record of teams Bills beat 39-45-1; Broncos 44-41-1)

Bills will pick 9th, Broncos 10th

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloButt said:

It is now official:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001006117/article/2019-nfl-draft-order-cardinals-own-top-pick-giants-to-take-qb

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’d also consider giving a 3rd or 4th rounder for desean Jackson.  Guy is still one of the best deep threats in the game.  Allen to Jackson could be a deadly combo.  Maybe he’d be amenable to playing with his buddy Shady.  Trade for Desean or A.J. and take a chance on a guy like Tyler Eifert at TE.  We have enough young WR’s and TE’s with promise.  I’d draft OL, a RB, and defense.  

DeSean is 32. Why would you give up assets for an older deep threat diva, when you have a 22 year old Robert Foster at $500k that just put up the same production? 

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

That is the gist of my thread the other day that the Bills may want to restock the O line and WR positions in free agency this year, but it is going to be hard for them to accomplish it due to the limited options available on the market and the fact that there are a lot of teams out there with money to spend and more appealing situations for a free agent to go to.  If the Bills and the Dolphins put the same offer on the table for a player, do you think a 25 year old free agent is going to pick Buffalo?  You'd be crazy to think that South Beach, great weather, and no state income tax that adds 9% to the value of the contract won't be a big factor in the decision? 

That's why I think Beane is going to look to trades to do what he can't do in free agency.  We don't have any players to trade, but we do have draft picks to offer up.  I'd be shocked if he didn't trade for at least two players before the end of April's draft.  I could see him trading during the draft for players.

If everything was even...maybe, for the wrong kinda free agent. We have a stable franchise, an intact front office and a franchise qb. Miami has no coach, no qb, a salary cap problem and are hitting the reset button. The only free agents going there right now are the ones that only care about money, and gettin buns. I would imagine 9 out of 10 players who want to win, would see buffalo as the smarter choice. 

3 hours ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

With the Antonio Brown situation in Pittsburgh I say our 9th pick in the draft goes to the Steelers for Antonio Brown...

Yeah because I'm sure the Steelers would jump at the possibility of drafting an unknown player with the 9th overall pick rather than holding onto arguably the best WR in the NFL for a closing Super Bowl window and the follow up grooming of a replacement to a HoF QB

16 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

DeSean is 32. Why would you give up assets for an older deep threat diva, when you have a 22 year old Robert Foster at $500k that just put up the same production? 

Jackson is a proven commodity who still averaged 19 yards per catch this year .  Foster has only put up those kind of numbers for 7 games.  The diva part is a concern for Jackson but the guy is rarely hurt and always produces.  And having  2 deep threats on the field plays to Allen’s strengths anyway. Jackson doesn’t need a QB with pinpoint accuracy to produce.  

20 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Maybe we could peel off our 2nd for AJ Green? I know that seems cheap but the Bengals have got to be ready for a full blown rebuild here.

If I thought we could win the superbowl within the next 2 years with Green and Brown I would be all in but absent that it would be a disaster to bring either one in

10 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

This is where I’m at. We traded a fine LT prior to the Draft last season, so it’s not inconceivable. We know he doesn’t seem to want to consider it, but if necessary, here is a place Beane may consider future picks as well (a ‘19 2nd Rd & ‘20 3rd/4th eg.). Brandon seems intent on not going on a spending spree to keep future funds for resigning the young core as their rookie contracts end. Offsetting this mantra means spending future considerations. Belichick has carved out a HOF career doing it this way.