2019 NFL Draft: Bills officially picking 9th

Virgil

Just now, Ittakestime said:

What the heck?

3t are the guys who have the freedom to be able to get to the backfield to disrupt the RB or sack the QB.

Phillips had 27 tackle for losses and 14.5 sacks his last 2 years at Stanford.

He is a 3t, he isn't a 0 or 1t.

I feel (and I think the coaching staff agrees, based on where they had him play more snaps this season) that he is a more natural 1T. Go back and read some of the articles from before the season

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/8/1/17637648/buffalo-bills-cross-training-rookie-tackle-harrison-phillips-stanford-around-the-defensive-line

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/harrison-phillips?id=32462018-0002-5600-691a-386214c1981a

They coaching staff cross-trained him at 3T and stated that ideally they want all of their tackles to be interchangeable. Phillips does not have the off-the-snap quickness that a full-time 3T needs. His strength, build, and usage this season lends credence to the notion that, while he will play 3T at times, he is more likely a long term fit at 1T. It's possible that he develops the pass rushing moves necessary to make the full time switch this offseason, but it's not something I feel comfortable enough with to bank on it. I'd rather see the Bills draft a natural fit at the position and let the best man win. They need a 4th DT regardless, based on the degree to which they rotate players at that position.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

I feel (and I think the coaching staff agrees, based on where they had him play more snaps this season) that he is a more natural 1T. Go back and read some of the articles from before the season

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/8/1/17637648/buffalo-bills-cross-training-rookie-tackle-harrison-phillips-stanford-around-the-defensive-line

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/harrison-phillips?id=32462018-0002-5600-691a-386214c1981a

They coaching staff cross-trained him at 3T and stated that ideally they want all of their tackles to be interchangeable. Phillips does not have the off-the-snap quickness that a full-time 3T needs. His strength, build, and usage this season lends credence to the notion that, while he will play 3T at times, he is more likely a long term fit at 1T. It's possible that he develops the pass rushing moves necessary to make the full time switch this offseason, but it's not something I feel comfortable enough with to bank on it. I'd rather see the Bills draft a natural fit at the position and let the best man win. They need a 4th DT regardless, based on the degree to which they rotate players at that position.

He definitely strikes me more as a 1 than a 3, but ya never know.  Kyle was able to pull of snaps from the 3, so maybe Phillips can do so as well.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He definitely strikes me more as a 1 than a 3, but ya never know.  Kyle was able to pull of snaps from the 3, so maybe Phillips can do so as well.

Yeah, to be honest, Phillips is sort of a man without a position. Supposedly, the reason he dropped to the third round in the draft is that he lacked the quickness and pass rushing skills to project as a 3, and lacked the sheer strength and anchor ability of a 0 or 1. I'm not saying I agree with that assessment, but that was the scouting report on him. This coming season will tell the tale, I suppose, of where he fits long term. Until further notice, I'd feel more comfortable considering him and Jordan Phillips as valuable rotational pieces and drafting or signing a quality 3.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Yeah, to be honest, Phillips is sort of a man without a position. Supposedly, the reason he dropped to the third round in the draft is that he lacked the quickness and pass rushing skills to project as a 3, and lacked the sheer strength and anchor ability of a 0 or 1. I'm not saying I agree with that assessment, but that was the scouting report on him. This coming season will tell the tale, I suppose, of where he fits long term. Until further notice, I'd feel more comfortable considering him and Jordan Phillips as valuable rotational pieces and drafting or signing a quality 3.

Agreed.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't agree with you that the staff feels he is 1t and throughout the season he routinely subbed in for Kyle.

The only way he is going to last in this league is being a 3t.  He is not big enough to just play a 1t.  He will need to be in the backfield.

16 hours ago, JohnC said:

The Bills knew exactly the caliber of middling player they were getting when they signed Bodine. And he garnered a contract commensurate with his very average talents. It has to be remembered that Woods's career ended after a post season physical indicated that he had to retire from the game. That was a surprise to him and the organization. So the Bills signed a veteran center who provided a reasonable short-term replacement. His contract is far from being onerous and its duration was very short-term with a relatively cheap out after the first year. Considering that he started this was a cheap contract. This was a case where you seek the best option available when there are few options. 

The attached link indicate what his contract is and the cap implication.: 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/3/23/17157166/russell-bodine-buffalo-bills-contract-details-show-hes-essentially-a-roster-lock-2018

I don't disagree with what you say. The point I'm trying to make is that people seem to think that just because the Bills have a lot of money to spend, they can pick up first rate o-linemen in free agency to fill their holes. But it's more likely they will pay a premium for mediocre players. There just aren't a lot of good o-linemen available, and even the ones who have good reps can flop. 

This is why it seemed insane to me to give away Cordy Glenn for a draft pick. Left tackles do not grow on trees. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I don't disagree with what you say. The point I'm trying to make is that people seem to think that just because the Bills have a lot of money to spend, they can pick up first rate o-linemen in free agency to fill their holes. But it's more likely they will pay a premium for mediocre players. There just aren't a lot of good o-linemen available, and even the ones who have good reps can flop. 

This is why it seemed insane to me to give away Cordy Glenn for a draft pick. Left tackles do not grow on trees. 

I agree with you that there are not going to be many quality linemen available on the market. To make the situation even more problematic there are many teams who will be vying for those same players on the market thus jacking up the price. 

On the other hand although I have already acknowledged that I consider Cordy Glenn a good player his trade to Cincinnati put this team in a position to make the next trade up for Allen, our future franchise qb. The Bills had not had a franchise qb for a quarter century since the retirement of Jim Kelly. I would not hesitate to make that deal again. We gave up an asset to get a more impactful long term asset. Because of that deal this franchise is in a better situation.  

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you that there are not going to be many quality linemen available on the market. To make the situation even more problematic there are many teams who will be vying for those same players on the market thus jacking up the price. 

On the other hand although I have already acknowledged that I consider Cordy Glenn a good player his trade to Cincinnati put this team in a position to make the next trade up for Allen, our future franchise qb. The Bills had not had a franchise qb for a quarter century since the retirement of Jim Kelly. I would not hesitate to make that deal again. We gave up an asset to get a more impactful long term asset. Because of that deal this franchise is in a better situation.  

I take your point, but I think that the Bills might have traded draft picks for the move up. But I guess it's water under the bridge now.

Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

I don't agree with you that the staff feels he is 1t and throughout the season he routinely subbed in for Kyle.

The only way he is going to last in this league is being a 3t.  He is not big enough to just play a 1t.  He will need to be in the backfield.

When you consider we've recently landed Taron Johnson and Matt Milano in rounds 4 and 5, it wouldn't be the end of the world to have missed on Phillips. I don't think he's gonna cut it. As you stated, he doesn't appear to be strong enough as a 1t nor quick enough as a 3t. 

I don't really care if it's an interior or edge player, but we need to land a pass rusher this offseason.

I really like the kid Ferrell from Clemson and with so many top tier defensive lineman in this draft, could easily see him falling to 9 and being the pick. 

Edited by LSHMEAB

I’m pretty sure Harrison Phillips is one of tge strongest people on our team let alone D-line.  I understand the bench isn’t everything but he did put up 225 42 times, saying he’s not strong isn’t very accurate. 

Edited by billvernsays

4 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

When you consider we've recently landed Taron Johnson and Matt Milano in rounds 4 and 5, it wouldn't be the end of the world to have missed on Phillips. I don't think he's gonna cut it. As you stated, he doesn't appear to be strong enough as a 1t nor quick enough as a 3t. 

I don't really care if it's an interior or edge player, but we need to land a pass rusher this offseason.

I really like the kid Ferrell from Clemson and with so many top tier defensive lineman in this draft, could easily see him falling to 9 and being the pick. 

Definitely agree, we need a top tier pass rusher to pair with Jerry.  Just like last year was the time to get our QB, this year is our time to land a franchise defensive end. 

Hopefully we won't be picking top 10 again for a long time.  Foundation of this team would have the potential to have young blue chip players at each level of the defense (New def end, Edmunds/Milano, and Tre).

On the other hand, I won't be upset if we spend the premium pick on an offensive lineman.  One could certainly make the case that Oline is the bigger need...hopefully we can find 1-2 solid players in FA

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic
On 1/2/2019 at 2:57 PM, TFBillsfan said:

Would love to see us sign in FA Paradis C and Anthony Barr OLB. Draft Williams OT at 9, Noah Fant TE in the 2nd, Ross Pieschbacher OG in the 3rd, Bryce Love RB in the 4th. 

Bryce Love tore his ACL in his last game. I wouldn’t expect him to play next year.