2019 NFL Draft: Bills officially picking 9th

Virgil

4 minutes ago, peterpan said:

We need a wr with size.  A big catch radius guy would mesh well with Allens style.   Think about it.  Allen has accuracy issues.  The best part of his game is buying time and heaving it down field.  We need a guy who can jump up and catch contested balls, WHILE COVERED.  

A guy like Mike Evans.  I wonder if he is available to trade?

N’Keal Harry. He’s 6’4” 210 pounds ... the kid would be the perfect fit with the current WRs

have a read

https://lastwordonprofootball.com/2018/07/27/nkeal-harry-ideal-nfl-receiver/

Edited by Yav
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, peterpan said:

We need a wr with size.  A big catch radius guy would mesh well with Allens style.   Think about it.  Allen has accuracy issues.  The best part of his game is buying time and heaving it down field.  We need a guy who can jump up and catch contested balls, WHILE COVERED.  

A guy like Mike Evans.  I wonder if he is available to trade?

Lol he is not. Tampa literally just locked him up long-term this year and he put up the best season in franchise history. He's going nowhere.

Buffalo can go for a big catch radius guy on Day 2 of the draft. Collin Johnson, Hakeem Butler, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, etc. Even Day 3 will have some of these guys like David Sills and Tyre Brady.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

Go BPA no matter what side of the ball he plays on.  Reaching on a guy because of drafting for need rarely works out.

How does that make sense, if we need a OT and we reach 5 spots, he will be bad for us but he would have succeeded if he got drafted at pick 15?

3 hours ago, vincec said:

You’re nuts Matt Millen.

So 20 years ago, the Lions used a bunch of first round picks on crappy WRs (until they drafted Calvin Johnson, that is) and that means WRs aren't more valuable than interior defensive linemen?  Wake up and smell the coffee...    

25 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

How does that make sense, if we need a OT and we reach 5 spots, he will be bad for us but he would have succeeded if he got drafted at pick 15?

These days , I don’t think 5 spots or less qualifies as a “ reach” in the classic sense. 

26 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

What happens when you reach for need is the team stays average.  You should be getting elite talent in the top ten not average talent.  

Just now, Zebrastripes said:

What happens when you reach for need is the team stays average.  You should be getting elite talent in the top ten not average talent.  

So if a safety was ranked ( which is all subjective and guessing) #7 overall but an OT was ranked #13. You would choose the safety in this situation?

15 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Because I think what really happens is teams rate prospects and put them into tiers. 

So if a Safety is a 7.6 this year and an OT is a 7.5 they fall into the same band and the Bills would take the OT. 

I think teams group similarly graded players and then pick from need out of that group. 

I agree with this grading procedure in the middle and late rounds but I truly believe teams do not have groups for top 10 talent.  I think they identify the 10 to 15 best players as an individual then they start grouping guys together after that.

10 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Beane will try Free Agency first, but they need a minimum of three OL replacements (C, G and T .).. Guys like Saffold will be in huge demand..

If he can’t get them all in FA then he better be utilising high draft picks because Allen can’t have the same situation next season as he has had to deal with this year..

Yes.  I shudder when I read about drafting a defender high.  We have got to, GOT TO, invest heavily in OL and offensive skill positions.

We need to pick up who we can in FA, but that won't be enough.  We must get at least one top OL talent in the draft.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

So if a safety was ranked ( which is all subjective and guessing) #7 overall but an OT was ranked #13. You would choose the safety in this situation?

First I would try to trade down then if nothing was there I'm going BPA.  Passing on elite talent to take average talent is just senseless to me no matter the position they play.

18 hours ago, wppete said:

Jonah Williams or Ed Oliver. 

Will Oliver be there? Free agency dictates the draft and vice/versa. Bills dont have to reach

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes.  I shudder when I read about drafting a defender high.  We have got to, GOT TO, invest heavily in OL and offensive skill positions.

We need to pick up who we can in FA, but that won't be enough.  We must get at least one top OL talent in the draft.

90+ million wont help address the OLine? Perhaps Beane prefers vets up front

I am glad we got top 10...because that adds value to the pick in terms of 5th year clause(I think), and, it's not so high as to make a trade all or nothing.

Thus, right now, I support trading down. This team is not 2 guys away, it's about 8 guys away. Upside: none of those 8 guys play the standard top 5 draft pick positions. Hopefully FA, with our huge cap space and more than a few good players on the market, solves some of this. Perhaps it solves all of it, and allows us to stay put? That's fine too. But, I'd rather get an extra 2nd, this year, if we can, and use it on the BPA. Also, it's pretty clear that we need WR, DB, and OL(and perhaps a DL). I'd rather not put all our eggs in one basket(Watkins). I'd much rather we get lots of guys all over the roster, and spread the risk. College WRs today are less prepared for the NFL than they have been since the 1950-60s. They aren't taught nearly well enough to read defenses(in many cases they aren't even allowed), to run the entire rout tree, to break press coverage, to block properly(= not give away the play by how they line up, never mind block). Spread offenses, read/option, looking to the sidelines for reads, running 3 routs only, all against zone defenses 85% of plays, is why we find ourselves here. 

This is why I rarely watch college football. If I wanted to watch JV football, or play Madden, I would. Any objective truths that might be found in college are routinely overwhelmed by subjective conjecture. One can easily spend 4 hours listening to a debate about conferences/teams/players, and nothing will be proven, now or ever == waste of time. In the NFL the opposite is true. Teams are judged by math. Playoffs are earned by math. We can argue the why, but the how is never in question. The added benefit is that I'm 100% objective at draft time. Got a dispute between which player to take? I'm your poster. Thus, show me the tape/stats/whatever.

Best argument wins.

• Like (+1) 1

The trenches will be addressed in free agency.  I trust Beane in that regard.

This year's draft should be all about acquiring offensive skill position talent!  Give Josh EVERYTHING he needs to succeed.

I can't believe folks are banging the table for a DT. ?  A defensive end, I can understand.

1 hour ago, Pablocruise said:

Will Oliver be there? Free agency dictates the draft and vice/versa. Bills dont have to reach

90+ million wont help address the OLine? Perhaps Beane prefers vets up front

Lots of teams have LOTS of money.  It may not get us the proper upgrades that we need. We need good players.