Todd Collins (where are they now?)

major

Was cleaning out the closet today and found my old Collins jersey. Where is he now? I know he last played in 2010, but I’ve always wondered what happened to that dude after that. I remember thinking he was the 2nd coming of Jim Kelly #oops

1 hour ago, major said:

Was cleaning out the closet today and found my old Collins jersey. Where is he now? I know he last played in 2010, but I’ve always wondered what happened to that dude after that. I remember thinking he was the 2nd coming of Jim Kelly #oops

Thats funny. I had a Collins replica Champion back in the day. In later years i had a Collins Logo Athletic gamer, but for some reason ive always wanted a Champion gamer from 96 to go with my Van Pelt 96 one lol. (Yes, sadly Im being serious)

No,  he was just never given a chance here and then became a backup for a decade.  I will say it again--the release of Collins was the biggest mistake I have seen in my lifetime by the Bills, started a loong period of wasted draft picks, wasted millions, turnover, and losing seasons.  He was  likely better than all of the quarterbacks since Kelly, until Allen. 

For me, what happened to Todd Collins here was an integral part of the Bills long collapse, always searching for the quarterback that never came..

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

No,  he was just never given a chance here and then became a backup for a decade.  I will say it again--the release of Collins was the biggest mistake I have seen in my lifetime by the Bills, started a loong period of wasted draft picks, wasted millions, turnover, and losing seasons.  He was  likely better than all of the quarterbacks since Kelly, until Allen. 

For me, what happened to Todd Collins here was an integral part of the Bills long collapse, always searching for the quarterback that never came..

Then why did Collins never become a starter anywhere else aside from a short stint in Washington at the very end of his career? If he really was something decent he would of caught on somewhere else at some point and been a viable starter  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

You know, I was just thinking about this.  They did pull the plug awfully fast on Todd.  He was a fairly high draft pick and had 2 years sitting on the bench under Kelly.  When he started in 1997, he certainly wasn’t great but his numbers were essentially on par with most rookie QB’s.   He led the Bills to a 5-8 record in 13 games which wasn’t great but can hardly be considered a disaster

Despite this, the same team that drafted him 2nd overall gave up on him after just 13 games as starter.  They went all out to secure their “franchise” QB in Rob Johnson and even signed a Plan B/backup in Doug Flutie.

Collins probably deserved a little more time, or at least the opportunity to compete in 1998.  Again, I’m not saying he was a great QB but he was essentially replaced after just 13 games.  Maybe they thought he should have been further along in his 3rd year.  I don’t know

Watch some of these passes, he doesn’t seem to be too bad

Edited by BillyWhiteShows
  • Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

Then why did Collins never become a starter anywhere else aside from a short stint in Washington at the very end of his career? If he really was something decent he would of caught on somewhere else at some point and been a viable starter  

He played behind good quarterbacks, never got his shot.  I remember Dick Vermeil saying several times he believed Collins was a starting caliber quarterback. The one time he did get his shot, near the end of his career with the Redskins, he looked very good for a while in the playoffs.

Teams must have seen something in him, to serve as a 2nd string NFL quarterback for almost a decade. We may not know the name Curt Warner if Trent Green didn't get injured, the quarterback Collins backed up in KC.

Edited by Mister Defense

8 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

He played behind good quarterbacks, never got his shot.  I remember Dick Vermeil saying several times he believed Collins was a starting caliber quarterback. The one time he did get his shot, near the end of his career with the Redskins, he looked very good for a while in the playoffs.

Teams must have seen something in him, to serve as a 2nd string NFL quarterback for almost a decade. We may not know the name Curt Warner if Trent Green didn't get injured, the quarterback Collins backed up in KC.

Or maybe he was just a good backup who could be a decent spot starter similar to a Ryan Fitzpatrick. Just find it hard to believe that in 15 years every NFL team would not recognize his starting potential at some point. 

39 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

You know, I was just thinking about this.  They did pull the plug awfully fast on Todd.  He was a fairly high draft pick and had 2 years sitting on the bench under Kelly.  When he started in 1997, he certainly wasn’t great but his numbers were essentially on par with most rookie QB’s.   He led the Bills to a 5-8 record in 13 games which wasn’t great but can hardly be considered a disaster

Despite this, the same team that drafted him 2nd overall gave up on him after just 13 games as starter.  They went all out to secure their “franchise” QB in Rob Johnson and even signed a Plan B/backup in Doug Flutie.

Collins probably deserved a little more time, or at least the opportunity to compete in 1998.  Again, I’m not saying he was a great QB but he was essentially replaced after just 13 games.  Maybe they thought he should have been further along in his 3rd year.  I don’t know

Yup, at the time I couldn't believe that they axed Kelly  and did not give the guy they thought could replace their Hall of Fame QB a chance.  Watch some of his games.  I think he led the Bills on their second biggest comeback as well. 

At a very young age, and with little experience, he showed he could lead the Bills. And replace Kelly, having learned under him.

But instead, with only ONE good game to his credit, the Bills traded a first and fourth round pick, and spent a huge amount of money, on Rob Johnson. To me, inexplicable at the time and still is.

Near the time of his release I recall Marv Levy saying that Collins' confidence had been "shattered" as a result of how the Bills dealt with him.

Edited by Mister Defense

45 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

Or maybe he was just a good backup who could be a decent spot starter similar to a Ryan Fitzpatrick. Just find it hard to believe that in 15 years every NFL team would not recognize his starting potential at some point. 

We will never know, but we do know that Collins was still playing in the NFL long after most--all?--of the Bills quarterbacks that followed him were:

Johnson, Flutie, VanPelt, Bledsoe, Losman, Edwards, all following Collins, and all done, and often long before Collins retired.

Edited by Mister Defense

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Um He was the 45th overall pick.

1 hour ago, Mister Defense said:

Yup, at the time I couldn't believe that they axed Kelly  and did not give the guy they thought could replace their Hall of Fame QB a chance.  Watch some of his games.  I think he led the Bills on their second biggest comeback as well. 

At a very young age, and with little experience, he showed he could lead the Bills. And replace Kelly, having learned under him.

But instead, with only ONE good game to his credit, the Bills traded a first and fourth round pick, and spent a huge amount of money, on Rob Johnson. To me, inexplicable at the time and still is.

Near the time of his release I recall Marv Levy saying that Collins' confidence had been "shattered" as a result of how the Bills dealt with him.

Axed Kelly?  Kelly retire due to his son suffering from a disease.

4 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

That's laying it on pretty thick.

The Bills have made so many mistakes across the board in Mgmt, drafts, coaching, prioritizing a QB more,and so on.  Collins May have been a mistake, but it was one of many.

i wish nothing, but the best, and loved at the very end of his career, he played well in Washington.  Reminds me with the new rules for the QB, and hos so many QB’s admit they are so much more game ready in their early 30’s.  If Josh needs to use his legs for the first couple of years, and keeps developing in the pocket, we may see a new dynasty in the AFCE in the future.