Gameday Thread: CFP Semifinals

/dev/null

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Of  the 10 semifinals played, only 2 have been decent matchups

There simply isn’t enough talent in the game to justify even 4 teams playing, 8 would be a total farce 

every season it is objectively obvious which is the best team or two, a third may show up very very rarely 

Which is why you go to eight so you weed out the pretenders to increase the likelihood of more competitive semifinal games.  My guess is Ohio State and Georgia would make it into the Semifinals if you had such a system this year.

Also, five years is a small sample size as two teams dominance (Alabama's and Clemson) over the last four years is an outlier historically in college football.  As far as saying even four teams playing is too much, two #4 seeds (Ohio State and Alabama) have won it all in two of now five years so there should be no going back.  

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Which is why you go to eight so you weed out the pretenders to increase the likelihood of more competitive semifinal games.  My guess is Ohio State and Georgia would make it into the Semifinals if you had such a system this year.

Also, five years is a small sample size as two teams dominance (Alabama's and Clemson) over the last four years is an outlier historically in college football.  As far as saying even four teams playing is too much, two #4 seeds (Ohio State and Alabama) have won it all in two of now five years so there should be no going back.  

Ga and OSU had their chances at the playoff. How many chances are you going to give teams? 

Bama lost a linebacker last night and had multiple players get dinged up. But you're ok with putting more games on these kids, that aren't getting paid, as long as it fills some misconceived notion that more teams in will make the playoffs somehow better. 

The playoffs were made because people were wanting to put more teams in with a chance to somehow prove the sec didn't belong. And now people want to add more teams but put restrictions in place (power 5 conference winners) to limit having the possibility of more than 2 sec teams in the playoffs. 

The regular season and the conference championship already mean something because you need to win your games to get in or at least not lose badly in one or more games.

I'm sure I dont want what the NFL has right now with 8-6 teams having a shot at the playoffs or even a chance to win their division. A 6 loss team is a good team? Since when? 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Again, they are extremely talented but untested imo. They coast through the seasons and almost never play against a good team. Didn't they play Pittsburgh in their conference championship game?

Well, they may have added Florida State and the U, but I have never had very much respect for ACC football, it's a basketball conference.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bfanlc said:

I'm sure I dont want what the NFL has right now with 8-6 teams having a shot at the playoffs or even a chance to win their division. A 6 loss team is a good team? Since when? 

2012    Ravens    10-6
2011    Giants    9-7
2010    Packers    10-6
2007    Giants    10-6

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

2012    Ravens    10-6
2011    Giants    9-7
2010    Packers    10-6
2007    Giants    10-6

4 BS teams. Congrats to them for getting rings though, especially the Giants for upsetting the Pats.

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

its like they insisted on making Usain Bolt run another heat to see who was truly worthy of finishing 10m behind him in the 100 final

Edited by row_33

32 minutes ago, Rico said:

4 BS teams. Congrats to them for getting rings though, especially the Giants for upsetting the Pats.

You have the B and the S backwards.  I don't know what language you speak, but in English it's Super Bowl, not Bowl Super

And 6 losses would be an improvement for the Bills.  We have lost no fewer than 7 games in any season this millennium :wallbash:

5 hours ago, Bfanlc said:

Ga and OSU had their chances at the playoff. How many chances are you going to give teams? 

Bama lost a linebacker last night and had multiple players get dinged up. But you're ok with putting more games on these kids, that aren't getting paid, as long as it fills some misconceived notion that more teams in will make the playoffs somehow better. 

The playoffs were made because people were wanting to put more teams in with a chance to somehow prove the sec didn't belong. And now people want to add more teams but put restrictions in place (power 5 conference winners) to limit having the possibility of more than 2 sec teams in the playoffs. 

The regular season and the conference championship already mean something because you need to win your games to get in or at least not lose badly in one or more games.

An 11-1 team or 11-2 team is a lot different than an 8-6 team.  You're comparing apples to oranges.  One extra game isn't going to kill 18-21 year olds.  I would've liked to see an undefeated UCF team against Bama.  A surging Ohio State team against Notre Dame.

On 12/30/2018 at 1:36 PM, Doc Brown said:

An 11-1 team or 11-2 team is a lot different than an 8-6 team.  You're comparing apples to oranges.  One extra game isn't going to kill 18-21 year olds.  I would've liked to see an undefeated UCF team against Bama.  A surging Ohio State team against Notre Dame.

the metrics behind playing a football game makes it too much just to got our jollies hoping for another matchup

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.