Jonah Williams or Ed Oliver??

Bakin

Jonah Williams (OT) or Ed Oliver (DT)  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Which Trenchman Do You Choose??

• Jonah Williams, OL, Bama
    • Ed Oliver, DL, Houston

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...what if we go OL?.....any thought on the scenarios I posted?............

Hey old time AFL guy, I will take the bait here.  Thx for profiling the top OL guys.  

If if we are as high as 7 I see OBD taking an Edge Guy.  Ferrel or Josh Allen.  We will be a mess at DE by end of 2019 - food for thought.  

If we pick D first I like the WVU tackle or Edwards at top of the 2nd.  

Edited by freddyjj

5 hours ago, Bakin said:

Let’s say we have pick 8 and both of these beasts are available (and for all us BPA guys they are tied in BPA value). 

Who do you pick???

This would kill me. 

Oliver has generational talent on the D line but Williams could be a decade long anchor with the ability to play all positions. 

Struggling with this if I am given then choice. 

Safer choice is Williams but bigger upside is Oliver. 

What say you?

Ed Oliver is not a “generational talent” by any stretch of the imagination.  He’s had a mediocre year in the USA conference and is an over-hyped bust waiting to happpen.  

59 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if, IF OL was to be the top priority, what about some of Trapasso's candidates later, be it if McBeane trades down for an extra 2nd or even who may be available on the list as an early 2nd?....

That would absolutely be a good idea. I’m excited to watch Oklahoma-Alabama. Oklahoma’s OLine is stacked but Alabama will be a huge test for them with Quinnen and Raekwon in the middle. 

7 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

That would absolutely be a good idea. I’m excited to watch Oklahoma-Alabama. Oklahoma’s OLine is stacked but Alabama will be a huge test for them with Quinnen and Raekwon in the middle. 

..who would then be your target if Williams is gone?.........

We can take a good defensive linemen in Tolen Avery in fifth or sixth round.  Guy is going very definition of a run clogger who forces negative yardage situations on running backs.  Very much like Kyle Williams and a good pickup with work ethic.  Playing for the Liberty University Flames he is very much a diamond in the rough but the type of talent we need.  Would take Jelks in the first to give the edge rush some teeth on it.  As for defensive tackle Dexter Lawerence’s is trending down out of the first round second or third.  Like I said before folks the games have not been played and draft stock can trend down in the combine so it’s hard telling where the chips will fall.  

17 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..who would then be your target if Williams is gone?.........

In a trade down scenario? It depends who is available but there should be a bunch of worthy OLine in the late teens. Could go WR or TE there too or even another defensive lineman. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bakin said:

Let’s say we have pick 8 and both of these beasts are available (and for all us BPA guys they are tied in BPA value). 

Who do you pick???

This would kill me. 

Oliver has generational talent on the D line but Williams could be a decade long anchor with the ability to play all positions. 

Struggling with this if I am given then choice. 

Safer choice is Williams but bigger upside is Oliver. 

What say you?

I know I am usually preaching offense and surround Josh with some better talent, but I think if Oliver is still there when the Bills pick you take him as the guy is an instant upgrade for a d-line - I do have the head-case concerns and I would expect OBD to do their homework to ensure the sideline tirade was an isolated thing rather than a sign of Aldon Smith-like craziness.

There are a couple good tackles in the draft and some mocks have us taking WV's  Cajuste. 

Most would agree that the draft is deep with defensive players, but less so for offensive players. Some use that rational to say that the draft will play out with just defensive guys taken first and foremost. I am not too sure - if the drop in offensive talent is steep from early round to later round talent than there may be a run on the few elite offensive players available and folks will take their chances with the depth of available defensive prospects.

I saw one mock where he had the Bills completely focused on offense the first 3 rounds - taking Metcalf as their 1st pick, LT Cajuste with their 2nd pick, and had the Wisconsin Center Biadasz in the 3rd. If Biadasz made it all the way to the 3rd it would be a miracle and a no-brainer steal for the Bills, but that just is not going to happen.

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly,  no one is a "generational anything" until you see them play. I like the idea of Jonah at LT and moving Dawkins to RT. Sign Paradis at C. Extend Jordan Phillips.

If he’s supposed to be the next Aaron Donald (which is saying A LOT) ... they are not only the same generation, they are within 5 years of each other. That’s why i don’t get the term usage. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

If he’s supposed to be the next Aaron Donald (which is saying A LOT) ... they are not only the same generation, they are within 5 years of each other. That’s why i don’t get the term usage. 

Ryan Leaf was considered a generational qb until he stepped on an NFL field and sucked. I would rather they use baseball terms like he considered an excellent prospect or projected to be a talent. Saying someone is generational doesn't leave you much of an escape route.

Dont know.  I'll tell you after the combine and pro days and after Ive watched all the game tape I can find as well as learning more about the players theyve gone up against.

51 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Ryan Leaf was considered a generational qb until he stepped on an NFL field and sucked. I would rather they use baseball terms like he considered an excellent prospect or projected to be a talent. Saying someone is generational doesn't leave you much of an escape route.

His problem was that he was a First Team All-Pro drug addict.

• 2 months later...

Not to bump my own thread but here’s me bumping my own thread.

Seems to remain a relevant question here as it’s very possible both players are available at 9. 

I still don’t have the answer. 

Oliver with the higher ceiling but Jonah with the higher floor. I think post FA Oliver is the bigger need. 

• Like (+1) 1