Jonah Williams or Ed Oliver??

Bakin

Jonah Williams (OT) or Ed Oliver (DT)  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Which Trenchman Do You Choose??

• Jonah Williams, OL, Bama
    • Ed Oliver, DL, Houston

There have been reports that Oliver has been a high maintenance person someone who has gotten everything handed to him and received preferential treatment. I don't see the Bills going that direction regardless of talent. Believe they learned their lesson with Dareus and won't go down that road again.

Edited by billieve420

Haven't gotten a chance to really dive into either player yet, and much may depend on what we do in Free Agency.

There are many rumblings that Ed Oliver may slip in the draft.  Not sure he's going to be considered a "generational prospect" by March/April.

He's certainly been a monster in college, but NFL scouts are apparently very concerned about his size, frame and strength at the next level.

With that said, Kyle Williams was also considered undersized coming out of LSU...

Don't know much about Jonah Williams, but I have seen him consistently among the top O-Line prospects.  And I would definitely consider OL our biggest need going into the draft.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’d want to know if Ed Oliver is a headcase. That was some strange stuff on the sidelines. I’m also curious to see how big he really is....but he does make you just say “WOW!” At times.

....good question Augie..........

Off The Bench with Kanell & Bell:

Houston defensive end Ed Oliver, a top NFL Draft prospect, sat out his fourth straight game on Thursday night and got into it with Cougars coach Major Appelwhite on the sideline. What was Oliver so hot about?  Applewhite reportedly told Oliver to take off a jacket that was for active players only. Heading into the half, Oliver confronted Applewhite and was restrained.

Oliver is projected to be top five pick in next year's draft, but between the knee injury and the confrontation with Applewhite, this situation is being looked at closely. The bottom line, however, is that Oliver was told to take off a team jacket.

49 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I want OL in FA so we can go BPA. If we go BPA, Ed Oliver is the pick. I covet Ed Oliver and Quinnen Williams with our 1st pick, we need an elite interior DL.

If Quinnen is on the board when we pk Mcd will do cartwheels all the way to the podium and i will doing them in my house. Lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bakin said:

Let’s say we have pick 8 and both of these beasts are available (and for all us BPA analbeads they are tied in BPA value). 

Who do you pick???

This would kill me. 

Oliver has generational talent on the D line but Williams could be a decade long anchor with the ability to play all positions. 

Struggling with this if I am given then choice. 

Safer choice is Williams but bigger upside is Oliver. 

What say you?

Well hard to say now, combine will influence this and certainly FA. 

But I would just resign Jordan (or sign another FA DT) and then draft Jonah.  I am not as concerned with the DT spot as I think Harrison Phillips is still an intriguing prospect to replace Kyle.  So with Harrison, Jordan (or other FA DT), and Star I think we are solid.  Without adding another DT, I think our D can and will be as good as this year, potentially better with Edmunds hopefully taking a step forward in 2019 and our secondary being healthy..  

But our OL is putrid.  So unless Oliver grossly out-grades Jonah, I think all things being close to equal that you go Jonah to help protect Allen.  

21 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

If Quinnen is on the board when we pk Mcd will do cartwheels all the way to the podium and i will doing them in my house. Lol

He won't be...hes going top 4 and maybe top 2 IMO.

...unfortunately, I don't get to see college ball due to work schedule, so I come here to "get the scoop"......I'm thinking OL has to be the TOP priority before DL early on.....found this laundry list from Trapasso.....you folks agree or disagree with his analysis?.......that last name brings back painful memories of Mike "Crisco Kid" Williams at #4.....anyway, say the Bills draft <top 10....is Williams there?......would McBeane have to move up AND would he?....or does he look to trade down to grab an extra 2nd and look for number 2, 3 or 4 on the list with the later 1st?.....thanks for you help....:thumbsup:

NFL Draft 2019: Offensive tackle class, headlined by Jonah Williams, looks like best in a decade

by Chris Trapasso  Oct 9, 2018

Alabama's Jonah Williams (currently my No. 2 overall prospect) has started on the edge for the Crimson Tide since his freshman season. He's the opposite of a project, a fundamentally sound technician with plus athleticism and developed strength to deal with every type of pass-rusher. While Nick Saban's club is known for its running prowess, its offense utilizes a plethora of spread concepts. 

Ole Miss' Greg Little, another SEC product who's played since his days as a freshman, can get a little sloppy with his technique but is a dancing bear at 6-foot-5 and 325 pounds with heavy hands. He's been the anchor of an offensive line tasked with plenty of pass-blocking.

Out in Manhattan, Kansas, Dalton Risner has been a mainstay at right tackle for going on three seasons now after starting at center to begin his career for the Kansas State Wildcats. He has light feet and is country strong, a combination that helps him dominate even the quickest and most speed-to-power outside-rushers. Just ask Montez Sweat.

Oklahoma's Bobby Evans understands the intricacies of the spread offense playing under Lincoln Riley. At 6-5 and a shade over 300 pounds with deceptive strength, he has the frame to thrive in pass-protection at the NFL level and has considerable experience getting out on a variety of screen plays. 

West Virginia's Yodny Cajuste blocks the blindside in an Air Raid system and is the closest to being "NFL strong" out of all offensive tackle prospects in the country. David Edwards has played since 2016 and is one of the most athletic offensive tackles Wisconsin's had in recent years. He's more than capable in pass-protection, and we know he has ample point-of-attack strength. 

This looks like the best offensive tackle draft class since 2010, that, at the top, featured Trent Williams, Russell Okung, Anthony Davis, and Bryan Bulaga

And NFL teams are finally very close to tailoring their offenses around what their quarterbacks and their offensive tackles know.

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...unfortunately, I don't get to see college ball due to work schedule, so I come here to "get the scoop"......I'm thinking OL has to be the TOP priority before DL early on.....found this laundry list from Trapasso.....you folks agree or disagree with his analysis?.......that last name brings back painful memories of Mike "Crisco Kid" Williams at #4.....anyway, say the Bills draft <top 10....is Williams there?......would McBeane have to move up AND would he?....or does he look to trade down to grab an extra 2nd and look for number 2, 3 or 4 on the list with the later 1st?.....thanks for you help....:thumbsup:

NFL Draft 2019: Offensive tackle class, headlined by Jonah Williams, looks like best in a decade

by Chris Trapasso  Oct 9, 2018

Alabama's Jonah Williams (currently my No. 2 overall prospect) has started on the edge for the Crimson Tide since his freshman season. He's the opposite of a project, a fundamentally sound technician with plus athleticism and developed strength to deal with every type of pass-rusher. While Nick Saban's club is known for its running prowess, its offense utilizes a plethora of spread concepts. 

Ole Miss' Greg Little, another SEC product who's played since his days as a freshman, can get a little sloppy with his technique but is a dancing bear at 6-foot-5 and 325 pounds with heavy hands. He's been the anchor of an offensive line tasked with plenty of pass-blocking.

Out in Manhattan, Kansas, Dalton Risner has been a mainstay at right tackle for going on three seasons now after starting at center to begin his career for the Kansas State Wildcats. He has light feet and is country strong, a combination that helps him dominate even the quickest and most speed-to-power outside-rushers. Just ask Montez Sweat.

Oklahoma's Bobby Evans understands the intricacies of the spread offense playing under Lincoln Riley. At 6-5 and a shade over 300 pounds with deceptive strength, he has the frame to thrive in pass-protection at the NFL level and has considerable experience getting out on a variety of screen plays. 

West Virginia's Yodny Cajuste blocks the blindside in an Air Raid system and is the closest to being "NFL strong" out of all offensive tackle prospects in the country. David Edwards has played since 2016 and is one of the most athletic offensive tackles Wisconsin's had in recent years. He's more than capable in pass-protection, and we know he has ample point-of-attack strength. 

This looks like the best offensive tackle draft class since 2010, that, at the top, featured Trent Williams, Russell Okung, Anthony Davis, and Bryan Bulaga

And NFL teams are finally very close to tailoring their offenses around what their quarterbacks and their offensive tackles know.

While I totally agree with the bold, it might take a trade back for it to make sense. IF (and not saying any of this IS the case) a guy like Oliver (or another DL) is  top 5 worthy but falls to 8, you have to look hard at that over an OL who might belong in the teens or 20’s. You need a trade partner to make things work. And if you feel like there is an absolute STUD, you look hard regardless. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

While I totally agree with the bold, it might take a trade back for it to make sense. IF (and not saying any of this IS the case) a guy like Oliver (or another DL) is  top 5 worthy but falls to 8, you have to look hard at that over an OL who might belong in the teens or 20’s. You need a trade partner to make things work. And if you feel like there is an absolute STUD, you look hard regardless. 

...what if we go OL?.....any thought on the scenarios I posted?............

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...what if we go OL?.....any thought on the scenarios I posted?............

Sorry, you’ll need someone with more knowledge than I have to say whether any of the OL prospects is worthy of the #8 pick. My point was I just don’t want to reach because of need. 

After tomorrow, nothing but FA and draft for a long, long time. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Sorry, you’ll need someone with more knowledge than I have to say whether any of the OL prospects is worthy of the #8 pick. My point was I just don’t want to reach because of need. 

After tomorrow, nothing but FA and draft for a long, long time. 

...thanks bud as always........:thumbsup:

OT’s almost never come available in trades or free agency, and Jonah is about as plug and play as you could ask.  For those who don’t like he’s 303 lbs., he’s going to gain muscle weight as he is in the pros.  315-320 is perfec as it is a balance of power and athleticism.

This coaching staff wants more athletic lineman.  I’ll agree with an earlier posters on the line, but it should be centers, or guards.  They cost less and some studs sometimes come available.  Not a Zack Martin, but some high quality interior lineman.  It is a much better use of the Pegulas dollars and skill players should be a balance of free agency, trades, and the draft. 

Look what hat we did in one year on defense.  I hope we give Daboll a raise so he doesn’t pursue the Packer, Browns, probably Dolphins, etc.  Make him Assistant Head Coach, and off the record, the higher Mgmt can ask him to give us two more years as there are always HC openings every year.  Continuity for Allen is the key.

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

OT’s almost never come available in trades or free agency, and Jonah is about as plug and play as you could ask.  For those who don’t like he’s 303 lbs., he’s going to gain muscle weight as he is in the pros.  315-320 is perfec as it is a balance of power and athleticism.

This coaching staff wants more athletic lineman.  I’ll agree with an earlier posters on the line, but it should be centers, or guards.  They cost less and some studs sometimes come available.  Not a Zack Martin, but some high quality interior lineman.  It is a much better use of the Pegulas dollars and skill players should be a balance of free agency, trades, and the draft. 

Look what hat we did in one year on defense.  I hope we give Daboll a raise so he doesn’t pursue the Packer, Browns, probably Dolphins, etc.  Make him Assistant Head Coach, and off the record, the higher Mgmt can ask him to give us two more years as there are always HC openings every year.  Continuity for Allen is the key.

...so could McBeane hold pat around #8 or so, hoping Jonah is available?...or does he have to move up and do you see him doing so?.......would he trade down and target one of Trapasso's lesser candidates for an extra 2nd?....

Oliver. Scouting OLine isn't really my specialty, but based on what I've read, I'm not really convinced Jonah is worth taking in the top 10. Oliver, to me, is at worst the #3 prospect in the draft and he happens to be at what I believe is a position of need. To me, if any of Bosa, Quinnen Williams, or Oliver fall to the Bills pick, it's a no-brainer (assuming they don't trade down, which would be my first choice).

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Oliver. Scouting OLine isn't really my specialty, but based on what I've read, I'm not really convinced Jonah is worth taking in the top 10. Oliver, to me, is at worst the #3 prospect in the draft and he happens to be at what I believe is a position of need. To me, if any of Bosa, Quinnen Williams, or Oliver fall to the Bills pick, it's a no-brainer (assuming they don't trade down, which would be my first choice).

...if, IF OL was to be the top priority, what about some of Trapasso's candidates later, be it if McBeane trades down for an extra 2nd or even who may be available on the list as an early 2nd?....