'96 Memorable Bills Game & the NFL Rules then

PUNT750

18 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I remember this game and the 1996 season quite well.  I recall Jim Kelly as having an extremely shaky year and Thurman really appeared to be slowing down.

I can recall that this playoff game was home and didn’t even sell out.  It was actually blacked out in Buffalo and surrounding areas.  We had to go to a bar who was showing the game illegally.

Kelly was having a pretty lousy game struggled against a good Jags defense.  I remember a debate between two people sitting near me about whether he was done or if he still had it.  The person who said Kelly was done would constantly says “See...see I told you.”

Then once Kelly was out Todd Collins came in with about a minute left and he looked a lot like Nate Peterman in last year’s playoff game.  The anti-Kelly guy was like “THAT’S your future!?!?!?”  

That jaguars team ended up going to AFC champ game so they were no slouch 

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Especially 2018. Watered-down football.

i read there are 13 important games this weekend and I don’t give a ***** or two ***** over any games except the Bills.

I’m iffy about wstching the playoffs, rare for me.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

i read there are 13 important games this weekend and I don’t give a ***** or two ***** over any games except the Bills.

I will watch them, but I think it will be very unlikely that I will have much respect for whoever wins it all. It's like, whatever. Congrats on being a watered-down champion.

1 minute ago, Rico said:

I will watch them, but I think it will be very unlikely that I will have much respect for whoever wins it all. It's like, whatever. Congrats on being a watered-down champion.

The Pats aren’t great, but nobody can rise above good this season, for more than a game or so.

another track meet of a SB, like last year, could be it for me, unless the Bills are playing.

I can’t bother watching the NHL unless the Leafs are playing.

54 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Skipping the super bowl is even better. My favorite recent super bowl Sunday was a few years ago, I was working in Manhattan and completely ignored the game. In town it's harder to avoid the parties and the game.

It just turns into another wasted Sunday.

8 hours ago, Utah John said:

when there were only 60 second breaks for commercials instead of 90 seconds.

Commercial time outs in NFL games are 2:30, 150 seconds.  I know this because when watching a game on TIVO it takes 5 clicks of the 30 second button to get through them. Used to only be 4.

1 hour ago, The Drought said:

Skipping the super bowl is even better. My favorite recent super bowl Sunday was a few years ago, I was working in Manhattan and completely ignored the game. In town it's harder to avoid the parties and the game.

It just turns into another wasted Sunday.

Kinda weird to be Mr Football Fan and then tell everyone you won’t watch the SB when almost half the country will watch.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Kinda weird to be Mr Football Fan and then tell everyone you won’t watch the SB when almost half the country will watch.

Never admitted to being normal and I'm more of a Bills fan than a football fan. And I thought everyone just watched for the commercials or maybe for the halftime show or whatever other excuse people use.

25 minutes ago, The Drought said:

Never admitted to being normal and I'm more of a Bills fan than a football fan. And I thought everyone just watched for the commercials or maybe for the halftime show or whatever other excuse people use.

It’s a big deal apparently, I haven’t attended a party for twenty years. For the last two Bills SBs I wandered from the game when it became  Garbagetime. For the Leon Lett one I put down $20 and picked the 60-10 square for the Cowboys, pretty close.

anyone who can name 10 Bills is a football maniac compared to 2/3 of the people watching the SB.

The SB was usually my least favourite game day as there was only one game to bet on and it was usually a blowout in my formative years

Edited by row_33

5 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I remember this game and the 1996 season quite well.  I recall Jim Kelly as having an extremely shaky year and Thurman really appeared to be slowing down.

I can recall that this playoff game was home and didn’t even sell out.  It was actually blacked out in Buffalo and surrounding areas.  We had to go to a bar who was showing the game illegally.

Kelly was having a pretty lousy game struggled against a good Jags defense.  I remember a debate between two people sitting near me about whether he was done or if he still had it.  The person who said Kelly was done would constantly says “See...see I told you.”

Then once Kelly was out Todd Collins came in with about a minute left and he looked a lot like Nate Peterman in last year’s playoff game.  The anti-Kelly guy was like “THAT’S your future!?!?!?”  

I dont think it was blacked out on tv. I vividly remember watching this game as a kid. The ebbs and flows were crazy. Couldnt seem to catch a break. Jax kicker bounced one off the post and went in too. i was heartbroken.

The 98 jags flutie game was blacked out though

3 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

I dont think it was blacked out on tv. I vividly remember watching this game as a kid. The ebbs and flows were crazy. Couldnt seem to catch a break. Jax kicker bounced one off the post and went in too. i was heartbroken.

The comeback game against Houston was the playoff blackout

The only memorable game for that year was beating the Cowboys early in the season 10-7.

As time goes on I tend to think those Cowboys teams that played the Bills in the Super Bowl weren’t all that much better than the Bills.  93 and 96 in th regular season we beat them.  They just really underperformed in the 2 Super Bowls 

40 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Yeah ik that. Just saying the jax playoff game def wasnt

Bills-Jags blacked out. The Bills announced that Sunday's Play-Off game against the Jaguars has been blacked out for local TV. The game did not sell out 72 hours prior to kickoff (Sunday 1 pm) so the game will not be broadcast on TV in the Buffalo or Rochester viewing areas. (Buffalo News)

** Note:  The Actual attendance was a little over 70,00 in an 80, 000  seat Rich Stadium

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Yeah ik that. Just saying the jax playoff game def wasnt

I thought it would be obvious that you wouldn’t have to type that in.....

17 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

The only memorable game for that year was beating the Cowboys early in the season 10-7.

As time goes on I tend to think those Cowboys teams that played the Bills in the Super Bowl weren’t all that much better than the Bills.  93 and 96 in th regular season we beat them.  They just really underperformed in the 2 Super Bowls 

That 52-17 game was a squeaker, Dallas was lucky to win that one.........

Edited by row_33

There are very few things in life more annoying than watching the Superbowl with a bunch of people with "limited" knowledge of the game. The commercial crowd if you will. Superbowl parties are a waste of my time. If I want to party, I'll party. If I want to watch football, I'll watch football. Not a fan of mixing the two.

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

That 52-17 game was a squeaker, Dallas was lucky to win that one.........

That game was still within reach at the start of the 4th Quarter despite all the turnovers.  

The next year Bills were up at halftime.  I blame Levy as much as Thurman after the fumble.  Someone had to be strong enough to not let the team completely unravel.  

Jmo that the Cowboys weren’t way better then those Bills teams 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

That game was still within reach at the start of the 4th Quarter despite all the turnovers.  

The next year Bills were up at halftime.  I blame Levy as much as Thurman after the fumble.  Someone had to be strong enough to not let the team completely unravel.  

Jmo that the Cowboys weren’t way better then those Bills teams 

I agree about Marv.  He always said "adjustments were nonsense".  You just had to execute your game plan better.  Obviously in the last 3 Super Bowls we didn't do anything different at all.  It killed us.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Bills-Jags blacked out. The Bills announced that Sunday's Play-Off game against the Jaguars has been blacked out for local TV. The game did not sell out 72 hours prior to kickoff (Sunday 1 pm) so the game will not be broadcast on TV in the Buffalo or Rochester viewing areas. (Buffalo News)

** Note:  The Actual attendance was a little over 70,00 in an 80, 000  seat Rich Stadium

Thank you.  I knew it definitely was blacked out because I remember frantically trying to find a hookup that would show the game.

6 hours ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Nope... it definitely was blacked out.  You either had a satellite dish that could get the Syracuse broadcast or the broadcast on another station 

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

The comeback game against Houston was the playoff blackout

So was this playoff game in 96