'96 Memorable Bills Game & the NFL Rules then

PUNT750

On 12/29/2018 at 12:22 AM, PUNT750 said:

The Bills set an NFL record previous to this game with 9 straight play-off wins at HOME.  On December 28th 1996 the Bills lost to the  upstart Jacksonville Jaguars 30-27 at Rich Stadium in an AFC Wild-Card Game. It turned out to be Jim Kelly's last game.  

The Bills had Bruce Smith, Ted Washington, Bryce Paup and Chris Spielman on defense.  Jacksonville had Mark Brunell , Natrone Means and Tony Boselli on offense.  It was a great, back and forth, exciting  game.    

WHY were the rules and officiating so different then???

-There was 1 (one) defense holding  in the backfield penalty

-There were 2 (two) defensive line holding penalties

-No calls on tackling a player going out of bounds

-One (1)Pass Interference penalty

-No helmet-to-helmet calls

-No personal foul penalties although there was pushing and shoving

-NO REPLAYS

Personally I miss that type of game!

Funny coincidence you picked this game. It's the last game I attended live and in person. Until today.

15 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Thank you.  I knew it definitely was blacked out because I remember frantically trying to find a hookup that would show the game.

Nope... it definitely was blacked out.  You either had a satellite dish that could get the Syracuse broadcast or the broadcast on another station 

So was this playoff game in 96

No it was on tv. And im in syracuse. Didnt have satellite. It was an abc game if im remembering right

1 hour ago, BillsSbSoon said:

No it was on tv. And im in syracuse. Didnt have satellite. It was an abc game if im remembering right

Thats why you saw it.  The game was on in the Syracuse market which is outside the

blackout radius.   I remember some friends who would drive down to watch the blacked out games at his brother’s place in DeWitt.  

It was blacked out in Buffalo, which is why I had to scramble to find a bar that was showing it. 

Edited by BillyWhiteShows

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Thats why you saw it.  The game was on in the Syracuse market which is outside the

blackout radius.   I remember some friends who would drive down to watch the blacked out games at his brother’s place in DeWitt.  

It was blacked out in Buffalo, which is why I had to scramble to find a bar that was showing it. 

It must have changed shortly after that then cause in 98 and onwards when we had blackouts it wasnt on.