Are great quarterbacks worth the money?

jaybee

2 hours ago, jaybee said:

According to the internet which I don't find particularly reliable I found that the five highest-paid quarterbacks are Jimmy Garoppolo, Matt Stafford, Derek Carr, Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers. The combined record of these five quarterbacks through 15 games is 28 - 46. Yes there have been injuries to some extent. So based on that quick data point perhaps a quarterback does not mean as much as many would make you think. I don't know if we have a good quarterback or not at this point but there is much more to winning football games than having a good quarterback apparently. I fully expect 100% negative, disagreement and inflammatory replies to the post since that's pretty much all we do here. Enjoy!

It is called supply and demand.

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Yes great QBs are worth the money.  They give your team a chance to win and they fill the stands.

I'm not sure why you choose to list the five highest paid QBs when your question was about the greatest QBs.  QBs are not paid based on their ranking vs their peers.  They are paid based on potential to improve their team and current market conditions at the time they sign their contracts.   Because the salary cap keeps going up and the league keeps making rules to favor QBs, the price for QBs will continue to rise and the QBs who have more recently signed contracts will, in general, be the highest paid for some period of time.

Not to mention Tom Brady very selflessly makes little money so the team isn't horrible around him and his would-be monster contract.

As you say, can't correlate QB pay rate to QB quality.

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Not to mention Tom Brady very selflessly makes little money so the team isn't horrible around him and his would-be monster contract.

As you say, can't correlate QB pay rate to QB quality.

Sorry, not to nitpick, but it ain’t “little money”, but it is LESS money. This is kind of the test of what your QB/leader is made of. How rich do you need to be (I know, Tommy has Gi$$elle money too), and how much do you want to win? A. Rodgers will collect his $33 mil/year and lose because they can’t afford talent elsewhere. Oh, and apparently he’s not all that well liked. Hmmm.....

Paying the WRONG QB big money is the kiss of death for quite a while! 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, jaybee said:

According to the internet which I don't find particularly reliable I found that the five highest-paid quarterbacks are Jimmy Garoppolo, Matt Stafford, Derek Carr, Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers. The combined record of these five quarterbacks through 15 games is 28 - 46. Yes there have been injuries to some extent. So based on that quick data point perhaps a quarterback does not mean as much as many would make you think. I don't know if we have a good quarterback or not at this point but there is much more to winning football games than having a good quarterback apparently. I fully expect 100% negative, disagreement and inflammatory replies to the post since that's pretty much all we do here. Enjoy!

Highest paid isnt really worth much in context. Basically anytime a "franchise type" QB has a contract come up they are going to set a new bar for highest paid QB whether or not they deserve to be. 

This is mainly due to the cap going up virtually every year and the lack of any real QB options on the market for the most part.

One thing that I noticed is once a team gives a quarterback the big contract, often, but not always his play regresses a bit. In some cases it is a "I got my money so I don't have to work as hard" mentality. In most of the cases it is that the big contract uses up so much cap space that the teams have to cut back on other positions (offensive line, receivers etc)

I have seen many times when a QB, or any other position for that matter gets a huge payday the team does not play as well overall. I think one of the reasons for the Patriots long success with Brady is he has not been one of the top paid quarterbacks despite having by far the best resume. He takes less money so they can build the team around him.

On 12/28/2018 at 12:34 PM, BlueandRed said:

There is only one great qb on your list. The others are not worth it. 

Tom Brady may go down as the lowest paid Elite quarterback in NFL history. And then you've got mediocre scrubs like Kirk Cousins who are so overpaid.  Blows the mind.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

14 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Tom Brady may go down as the lowest paid Elite quarterback in NFL history. And then you've got mediocre scrubs like Kirk Cousins who are so overpaid.  Blows the mind.

Timing timing timing....