Are great quarterbacks worth the money?

jaybee

According to the internet which I don't find particularly reliable I found that the five highest-paid quarterbacks are Jimmy Garoppolo, Matt Stafford, Derek Carr, Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers. The combined record of these five quarterbacks through 15 games is 28 - 46. Yes there have been injuries to some extent. So based on that quick data point perhaps a quarterback does not mean as much as many would make you think. I don't know if we have a good quarterback or not at this point but there is much more to winning football games than having a good quarterback apparently. I fully expect 100% negative, disagreement and inflammatory replies to the post since that's pretty much all we do here. Enjoy!

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, jaybee said:

According to the internet which I don't find particularly reliable I found that the five highest-paid quarterbacks are Jimmy Garoppolo, Matt Stafford, Derek Carr, Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers. The combined record of these five quarterbacks through 15 games is 28 - 46. Yes there have been injuries to some extent. So based on that quick data point perhaps a quarterback does not mean as much as many would make you think. I don't know if we have a good quarterback or not at this point but there is much more to winning football games than having a good quarterback apparently. I fully expect 100% negative, disagreement and inflammatory replies to the post since that's pretty much all we do here. Enjoy!

You get a thumbs up for that and for thinking outside the box but but i do disagree great Qbs are in fact worth it.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1

Yes great QBs are worth the money.  They give your team a chance to win and they fill the stands.

I'm not sure why you choose to list the five highest paid QBs when your question was about the greatest QBs.  QBs are not paid based on their ranking vs their peers.  They are paid based on potential to improve their team and current market conditions at the time they sign their contracts.   Because the salary cap keeps going up and the league keeps making rules to favor QBs, the price for QBs will continue to rise and the QBs who have more recently signed contracts will, in general, be the highest paid for some period of time.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 6

26 minutes ago, jaybee said:

...whoa!!...the "posting pundits" here declared Luck as "all done"....so now what?......

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...whoa!!...the "posting pundits" here declared Luck as "all done"....so now what?......

Now we go back to he sucks and isn't worth it because the Colts haven't gone to a Super Bowl......apparently like every other QB in the AFC aside from Brady.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Well, at least you already knew what was coming in terms of disagreement. I’d respectfully point out the number of years during the drought where even semi competent QB play for us (over the course of a whole season) would have catapulted us into relevance/playoffs? Bills are Exhibit A as to why a great QB is always worth it...

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Lets start with your list being wrong. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/

1. Brees* (13-2)

2. Rodgers (6-8)

3. Matt Ryan (6-9)

4. Cousins  (8-6-1)

5. Jimmy (1-2)

*Brees should actually be number one or two on this list. 2017 he signed a 2 year deal for one year of play, which they then extended again The Saints eat an additional 10 million in dead cap space  on top of his $25 mil. At some point the Saints will be paying Brees after he has retired. gotta count that if you want to talk "highest paid" QB's

34-27-1 is their combined record. 

The top 3 on this list make just about every single team in the NFL better than they are right now. Pay them what they are asking for. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Mango said:

Lets start with your list being wrong. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/

Dude.. he doesn't find the internet reliable. He said it himself. Those hyperlinks are just underlined blue text on a computer screen.

But yeah, Brees, Rodgers, and Ryan.. duh they're worth it. Jimmy G was all the 49ers fault, Cousins well.. it's a relatively short term deal on a win now team, I'd expect them to rebound but of course the marquis FA QB of any year is going to be grossly overpaid. He ain't horrible but no where near top 5 salary good.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

1 hour ago, jaybee said:

First of all, highest paid does not equal greatness.

Having a franchise QB is just the starting point, and easily the most important piece on an NFL team. 

Of course the other positions matter.  But if you don't have a good QB (as displayed by our franchise over the last 2 decades), then you are starting so far behind that you almost need to have everything fall perfect to even have a chance at competing for a championship.

If truly great, yes.  But what is great?  I'd say a HOF type.  And out of hundreds of guys playing the position in the modern area there's about 30 in the Hall.  

Or to out it another way, to pay a guy like Cousins a guaranteed 80 some million is insane. 

Great QBs are worth it.  Paying QBs that aren't great QBs great QB money is not.  It's even greater when you have one of the greatest of all time (Brady) and you can pay him moderately on the books.

Paying Cousins what he got was dumb.  Paying Garropolo what he got was also dumb even If it works out for the team.  He proved nothing yet.  Prove then pay.

Edited by Scott7975

2 hours ago, jaybee said:

You may get the same stats looking at the highest paid long snappers.