Kyles retirement probably puts DT as a possibility in round 1

2 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

I guess next year will be a rebuild year also.  Too many needs. 

Prediction for OPs in 2019 and possibly 2020:

REMINDER: WE'RE IN A REBUILD WE WERE NEVER SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD IN YEARS 2018-2020 YOU IDIOTS

54 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

This is the rebuild. Next year is the reconstruction.

If I know my history we're in for almost a century of pain.

• Haha (+1) 2

I’m better with taking Oliver with Kyle officially retiring.  There just isn’t any offensive talent begging to be taken in the top half of round 1.  There’s one TE, but he’s a 20-30 pick.  WR’s have a different 1-5 ranking based upon the mock, and the Offensivr line talent is leveled off too.  

Not a good year to need offensive help 

• Like (+1) 2

So far based only on what I have read about the prospects, it seems that there is a very good chance that a DT will be BPA when Bills pick.  I have seen conflicting reports on DE Clelin Ferrell as a top pass rusher and Josh Allen (KY) is described as more LB than DE, so while I agree that pass rusher is a very important position and it could use an upgrade, I don’t know that there is a really good DE prospect after Bosa.

For sure, player ratings can change a fair bit before the draft, but I haven’t seen a highly rated OT other than Williams from ’Bama, but several suggest that he will have to move to OG in the NFL.

While WR is a major need, so far I don’t see a prospect there worth picking over one of the several highly regarded DTs.

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think you're going to see most of our Offensive needs taken care of by Free Agency or Trade before the Draft. And you should never reach for someone based on need. So players like Ed Oliver were always on the table.

Yeah, I think they are going to look at BPA come draft time, especially early rounds.  With 90M in cap space I fully expect us to address several of our holes in FA.  They will certainly look both at offensive and defensive players come draft time, including early.  

Personally I think we will likely draft one of the following 4 players based on where I expect us to be picking.

Ed Oliver

Greedy Williams

DK Metcalf

Jonah Williams

Combine will also be big in filtering a list down based on how players start really grading out.  Guys like Greg Little, N'Keal Harry, AJ Brown, etc could also move up boards after the combine.

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Going to miss Kyle was the heart and soul of the D but it does seem with where we will be drafting that Dexter Lawrence and Ed Oliver are a distinct possibility now...with taking care of our offensive needs coming in rounds 2,3,4 etc..

Well we already drafted his heir last year in Harrison and also added Jordan, so not sure it means we must go Oliver, but he is certainly in play.  

2 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

If DT is BPA, then sure.

Yeah, but it's hard to define "best player available" when you consider most teams, including the Bills, are terrible at assessing talent in the draft.

3 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

I guess next year will be a rebuild year also.  Too many needs. 

It’s funny how people seem to think they’re going to find new starters at WR, C, G, TE, DT, DE all before next season. Not to mention upgrades at OT and WR2. We can only hope I guess.

3 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Uh nope....the plan was to win in 2019.  Don’t be fooled in thinking next year is a rebuilding year

If they don’t win it will be spun as a rebuilding year and with so many holes they may not be wrong.

3 minutes ago, vincec said:

It’s funny how people seem to think they’re going to find new starters at WR, C, G, TE, DT, DE all before next season. Not to mention upgrades at OT and WR2. We can only hope I guess.

It’s going to be difficult but not impossible.

They will need to draft “three starters off the bus” but this time actually do it unlike Whales,  and hit on the rest in FA..

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

As long as they re-sign Jordan Phillips, the Bills still have a pretty good rotation on the D-Line.

DT - Star Lotulelei, Harrison Phillips, Jordan Phillips

DE - Jerry Hughes, Shaq Lawson, Trent Murphy

Getting Lorenzo Alexander back for another season would also help, since he can slide into the rotation as an outside pass rusher.

So if the Bills don't add another DT to replace Kyle Williams, it won't be the end of the world.  However it does give them some justification (at least in the eyes of many fans who are dead-set on offense), if they decide to go that route in Round 1 instead.  In the draft, it's always best to go with BPA regardless of position.  You can't build a team with just "the next year" in mind. 

Like I've said before... This is the crucial year for Beane/McDermott's rebuilding plan.  They have some strong cornerstones to build around.  They have the resources available.  Now it's about making the right decisions and obtaining the right players.

That is not a strong group at all. I would peg that as dead average, maybe with some hope for above average if things break their way.

8 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

It’s going to be difficult but not impossible.

They will need to draft “three starters off the bus” but this time actually do it unlike Whales,  and hit on the rest in FA..

That just doesn’t happen. Maybe your first round pick can be an “off the bus” starter if you nail it. But where are the other two coming from? Who was the last team to have three solid starters as rookies from one draft? Not to mention that this leaves three for FA which would be a great FA off season too.

3 minutes ago, vincec said:

That just doesn’t happen. Maybe your first round pick can be an “off the bus” starter if you nail it. But where are the other two coming from? Who was the last team to have three solid starters as rookies from one draft? Not to mention that this leaves three for FA which would be a great FA off season too.

Like I said. It’s difficult but not impossible.. they could trade down and pick up an extra second.. 

They could have three players drafted in the top 50 and its hardly beyond the realms  to say they couldnt be immeadiate starters..

Look.. all those spots you mentioned are probably going to have new starters right so I guess we are really arguing about whether they turn out to be worthy of starting or not..

Unlikely but time will tell, and as you say let’s hope for the best..

I dont agree.  It was a way bigger need last offseason and it got addressed.  They will need to find a rotational guy in FA, could be Jordan Philips or similar.   The needs of this team are on the other side of the ball.   But if BPA is head and shoulders a defender then  you have to do it regardless of position..... but then again that does not happen all that often.

This is the play I spoke of earlier. Kyle pushed Manziel to the ground when imo he could have easily hospitalized him if he chose to. I am really going to miss this guy that I have been watching since 2006. I didn't immediately warm to him but he soon won me over with his grit, and more than that with his skills.  I am glad that he is quitting while he is in good health. Thanks Kyle! You are the man!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Going to miss Kyle was the heart and soul of the D but it does seem with where we will be drafting that Dexter Lawrence and Ed Oliver are a distinct possibility now...with taking care of our offensive needs coming in rounds 2,3,4 etc..

Jerry, Trent and Star are all 28-30 years old. The Bills definitely need to add some top-tier youth to the DL, soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

This is the play I spoke of earlier. Kyle pushed Manziel to the ground when imo he could have easily hospitalized him if he chose to. I am really going to miss this guy that I have been watching since 2006. I didn't immediately warm to him but he soon won me over with his grit, and more than that with his skills.  I am glad that he is quitting while he is in good health. Thanks Kyle! You are the man!!!!!

That was back when you were allowed to wrap him up and land on the QB with your weight. Kyle should at least be getting a Christmas card every year! 

22 minutes ago, Nester said:

not in the first round. Need TBA Olineman, 

But this is the year of the D Linemen. Don’t reach just because you want OLine. Recipe for failure. 

(TBA? BPA? Still....do NOT reach!) 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If you watched last game you would know it’s a definite possibility