Kyles retirement probably puts DT as a possibility in round 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think you're going to see most of our Offensive needs taken care of by Free Agency or Trade before the Draft. And you should never reach for someone based on need. So players like Ed Oliver were always on the table.

It’s a long time between now with trades, free agency to tell about the draft, but they drafted Harrison Phillips for a reason.  I still say we’re picking one of the top OT’s.  Either the AL or FL guy based on draft as I doubt both will go before we pick, and could even see us moving up for the best.

If the team resigns Jordan Phillips they have 3 solid DT's in Henry, Star, and Phillips. I think the team would be better off drafting a DT in the mid rounds to help rotate in and develop behind those 3. I think the departure of Kyle means Phillips becomes a must resign. So I think edge is a bigger priority considering Hughes will be 31, the jury is still out on Shaq, and Murphy is both older and comes with injury concerns. IF you resign J.Phillips you can address DT in round 4 and be comfortable. 

I think they go OT in round 1 but if they went D-line I wouldn't be too upset. The pass rush is decent but not spectacular so adding a top 10 pick that can add a prime pass rusher isn't a bad way to go considering the importance of a big time pass rush to win games. 

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Going to miss Kyle was the heart and soul of the D but it does seem with where we will be drafting that Dexter Lawrence and Ed Oliver are a distinct possibility now...with taking care of our offensive needs coming in rounds 2,3,4 etc..

Phillips and Phillips..Harrison and Jordan.

As long as they re-sign Jordan Phillips, the Bills still have a pretty good rotation on the D-Line.

DT - Star Lotulelei, Harrison Phillips, Jordan Phillips

DE - Jerry Hughes, Shaq Lawson, Trent Murphy

Getting Lorenzo Alexander back for another season would also help, since he can slide into the rotation as an outside pass rusher.

So if the Bills don't add another DT to replace Kyle Williams, it won't be the end of the world.  However it does give them some justification (at least in the eyes of many fans who are dead-set on offense), if they decide to go that route in Round 1 instead.  In the draft, it's always best to go with BPA regardless of position.  You can't build a team with just "the next year" in mind. 

Like I've said before... This is the crucial year for Beane/McDermott's rebuilding plan.  They have some strong cornerstones to build around.  They have the resources available.  Now it's about making the right decisions and obtaining the right players.

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Going to miss Kyle was the heart and soul of the D but it does seem with where we will be drafting that Dexter Lawrence and Ed Oliver are a distinct possibility now...with taking care of our offensive needs coming in rounds 2,3,4 etc..

It had better not be.  It would be a terrible use of high first round pick.  It's a lesson that should have been learned with the Dareus pick.  As we proved this year, good DTs can be found cheaply in free agency or even on the waiver wire.    

The three techs at the top of this draft are game breakers. This was already the most likely course of action in my opinion. Harrison Phillips has been pretty disappointing. He is not the answer. Passing on one of these defensive guys to take a so so left tackle or reaching on a reciever is the worst way to run a draft. 

• Like (+1) 1