Kyles retirement probably puts DT as a possibility in round 1

I still can't figure out why people think Harrison Phillips is some kind of Kyle clone. Because they have the same shaped head? I've seen very little from H. Phillips to make me think he's anything more than a rotational DT. He could be Tim Anderson for all I know. Next year will be critical in his evaluation process. DT's don't take years to develop.

We needed a difference maker before Kyle's decision and that need is even greater now.

I will say the need at DT is greatly diminshed if we're able to add a high caliber edge player. Need playmaking defensive lineman one way or another.

Edited by LSHMEAB

14 hours ago, mannc said:

It had better not be.  It would be a terrible use of high first round pick.  It's a lesson that should have been learned with the Dareus pick.  As we proved this year, good DTs can be found cheaply in free agency or even on the waiver wire.    

When was this proven? The lack of pressure and ability to stop the run has, if nothing else, proven to me that bargain linemen don't work. I don't want them to use a first on a DT, but I don't agree with your reasoning. 

Definitely need another DT even before the announcement of Kyle’s retirement along with a DE. We need a game changer on the edge. Jerry is really good but we need someone that on the other side that can really do some damage, and he’s going to be 30 if he isn’t so already. 

It was always a possibility, especially when they are taking BPA...

Ideally you replace players at their position a year too soon than a year too late...Phillips was seemingly the replacement for Kyle but I'm not sure if he is anything more than a rotational DT at this point....