Kyle Williams: Officially Retires

Clemfield2622

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Say what you want about McD, but whether or not he gets fired after next year, his greatest accomplishment by far will have been kicking Ralph’s trash out the door, and for that I will be eternally greatful. :beer:

Don't forget letting KW score a TD in his "first" "last regular season game of his career" last year against the Dolphins.   Gotta' do it again.:thumbsup:

As for grateful for McD......I will be forever grateful to the ol' wrasslin' coach for starting Peterman against the Chargers.........I will be decrepit and senile and still be laughing about how stupid that was and the jag offs in the media(and our own TSW Jags) who thought it was the right move.   Hilariously memorable. :lol: 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...perhaps the inglorious nature of "stats only" analysis?......aren't there certain positions that will never be BIG "stats positions"?....so he hung on for 13 years for NOT holding up?..could today's Star be in that category?....

Star is the antithesis of Williams, but I'll reserve critique for another thread.

1 hour ago, JohninMinn. said:

In the history of retirements never was a player more overrated than Kyle Williams. It's ridiculous.

..."ignorance is bliss".....undoubtedly, you're "happy happy"........prolly a MN Franken voter............

7 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Star is the antithesis of Williams, but I'll reserve critique for another thread.

...NEVER was comparing stats, production or heart...NEVER...EVER....was talking about reference to being under appreciated solely based on gaudy, inconsequential stats.....some positions go about their work without stats PERIOD.............

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..."ignorance is bliss".....undoubtedly, you're "happy happy"........prolly a MN Franken voter............

...NEVER was comparing stats, production or heart...NEVER...EVER....was talking about reference to being under appreciated solely based on gaudy, inconsequential stats.....some positions go about their work without stats PERIOD.............

I understood your point. While I understand that Kyle was dedicated and a great locker room presence, he was also an extremely talented player who MADE PLAYS. That's the distinction between him and a guy like Star. This thread is about Kyle so I'll leave it at that.

16 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I understood your point. While I understand that Kyle was dedicated and a great locker room presence, he was also an extremely talented player who MADE PLAYS. That's the distinction between him and a guy like Star. This thread is about Kyle so I'll leave it at that.

..and THAT is NEVER to be argued bud.....striking GOLD in the 5th?...''nuff said...........:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah we are going to have to disagree on the gravity of the subject matter.

Peace out to you.✌️

Your premise was that the retirement was about the direction of the franchise yet Williams direct quote was that the hardest part was knowing he was in synch with the direction.  The gravity is different but the pertinence is equal.

• Like (+1) 1

Glad he was a Bill. What he brought to this team will live on through his teammates he impacted. Guys are going to use those habits and make themselves and the team better. Class act by McDermott . This team is going places and Kyle was a huge part to instill some much needed leadership in the beginning of what I expect to be a beautiful run by this organization. 95,  was pleasure watching you 

5 hours ago, wppete said:

Didn't expect this. Respect to Marrone .

5 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Glad he was a Bill. What he brought to this team will live on through his teammates he impacted. Guys are going to use those habits and make themselves and the team better. Class act by McDermott . This team is going places and Kyle was a huge part to instill some much needed leadership in the beginning of what I expect to be a beautiful run by this organization. 95,  was pleasure watching you 

Well said. I pray his leadership and work ethic lives on in these young players. Players like Fred Jackson and Kyle Williams don't come around every year.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

In the history of retirements never was a player more overrated than Kyle Williams. It's ridiculous.

You obviously missed the point. He's not the greatest DT. He's not the fastest ,  strongest or talented. It's the impact he made off the field. It's the leadership , the work habits that will hopefully live on through his teammates.  Look no further than the impressions he made on his coaches and teammates. He will be missed probably off the field more than anything 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

I dont know if you could be more wrong on this....seriously

Mulitple pro bowls

Team leader

He is what it is to be a bill....he is the best of things.   Im gonna miss him as he was my favorite player.

When you needed a player to make a play in a game when it actually mattered....this was the guy doing it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

No no no no.  Through any objective lens, he's actually underrated given the shitstorm he weathered in Buffalo for 13 years.  It's damn impressive he managed to get into 5 pro bowls during a period the Bills were virtually anonymous from a national perspective.  

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

You obviously missed the point. He's not the greatest DT. He's not the fastest ,  strongest or talented. It's the impact he made off the field. It's the leadership , the work habits that will hopefully live on through his teammates.  Look no further than the impressions he made on his coaches and teammates. He will be missed probably off the field more than anything 

I totally disagree with this assessment. If Kyle Williams was an average player, he'd still be a class act, but nobody would care. The reason we're celebrating him is partially because of his character, but mainly because he was an outstanding TALENTED football player. Not to nitpick this post, but it seems like his actual football accomplishments get overshadowed by his persona. The guy was a baller for many, many years at a grueling position.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I totally disagree with this assessment. If Kyle Williams was an average player, he'd still be a class act, but nobody would care. The reason we're celebrating him is partially because of his character, but mainly because he was an outstanding TALENTED football player. Not to nitpick this post, but it seems like his actual football accomplishments get overshadowed by his persona. The guy was a baller for many, many years at a grueling position.

I agree . Multiple pro bowls. Multiple top 100 appearances. It's just Kyle was never considered an elite, top 5 type DT. He had to work his butt off to be a very good/great DT.  If he doesn't put in that type of work , he's probably average at best.

Meanwhile a guy like Dareus is probably the complete opposite. Top 3 pick , naturally blessed with all the physical tools to be an elite DT but never handled business off the field , never worked like Kyle and now he's not even talked about when you bring up interior defenders and likely will never come close to having the type of career the smaller Kyle had , because of the man he was off the field

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/28/2018 at 4:13 PM, fansince88 said:

On John Murphy today he said he would have rather done that and just rode off into the sunset. Coach and Beane and the Pegs said the fans deserved his going out this way instead.

OK, this may mark me as "cynical" instead of "hapless" or "hopeful", but....

from a marketing perspective, having a very popular fan favorite like Kyle Williams announce his retirement does probably provide fans with a motivation to attend this Sunday's game which would otherwise be entirely lacking

I know if I were anywhere within a reasonable travel timeline from my other committments I would be there, bank on it.

Godspeed KW and yes, it's also true he does deserve to get whatever extra fan love may come his way

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yes, this.  But I think what may be meant by "average player" is he's the guy that was designated by metrics and scouts to be an after thought... but by a combination of hard work, grit, and study, he maximized his physical talents and earned everyone's respect on the field.  If he had 1/2 the physical attributes given by nature to Mario and Dareus he'd be HOF.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, this may mark me as "cynical" instead of "hapless" or "hopeful", but....

from a marketing perspective, having a very popular fan favorite like Kyle Williams announce his retirement does probably provide fans with a motivation to attend this Sunday's game which would otherwise be entirely lacking

I know if I were anywhere within a reasonable travel timeline from my other committments I would be there, bank on it.

Godspeed KW and yes, it's also true he does deserve to get whatever extra fan love may come his way

I would be "cynical " too except KW really speaks highly of McD. Did you listen to his visit on the show Friday? If not check it out. KW truly loves the team and McD. Has tons of respect.