Kyle Williams: Officially Retires

Clemfield2622

5 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Nice. 

Yes, let's start by ignoring that by all accounts Kyle was close to retiring last year but decided to come back.

Let's ignore his passion and leadership by example.

Let's ignore that he finally has a coach installing a culture that aligns perfectly with his character.

Let's ignore that he could have left here years ago for a proven winner.

Let's ignore his constant mentoring, also recruiting efforts over the years with guys like Mario.

Let's ignore that the guy is respected, admired, and beloved by the locker room, coaches, front office, and everyone in the Bills community.

Let's ignore the fact that our games are essentially meaningless at this point of the year.

Yes, let's ignore everything he's built and everything he stands for, all the satisfaction of his efforts and renowned character, and instead ascribe an arrogance and pomposity that after the New England game he was staring at his money and career, gave up all hope for the future and jumped into retirement.

Well done, you totally nailed it.  You're such a legend in your own mind as usual.

Not bad for a high-motor lunch-pailer. Thanks again Kyle!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Nice. 

Yes, let's start by ignoring that by all accounts Kyle was close to retiring last year but decided to come back.

Let's ignore his passion and leadership by example.

No "let's start" by building an ENORMOUS 10 story straw man argument to make it look like BADOL is being critical of Kyle in all those ways!:lol:

NOTHING I said in this thread is in any way, shape or form critical of Kyle Williams. 

13 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

In general I agree but not regarding this particular thread.  It's the wrong place to get pissy about a week 16 game of a 5-10 team. 

Williams was great.  I think we'll all miss him.

If the moderators wanted a "send your well wishes only with no associated critique's of Bills management" thread then they could have designated one..........those kinds of things have been done before.

I think KW came back under the false impression that they were going to win.............and I think he's leaving under the impression that they probably won't next year............we can agree to disagree but it's part of the conversation.    

It's not a funeral........KW has had a great football career with much success........for all the people weepy that he didn't have more success in the pros let me remind you that he won a national championship in college........something Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or Drew Brees can never say they did........ and despite playing for a bad organization in the pros he went to 5 pro bowls and no critic of the NFL could say he didn't earn every bit of his tens of millions.    Huge success story.   HUGE.

13 hours ago, Rico said:

Not bad for a high-motor lunch-pailer. Thanks again Kyle!

Not bad for one of the best athletes to ever suit up for the Bills either.

He was like an orchid in the swamp that you  contend has been completely drained and turned into fertile championship level crop land.?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
inappropriate language
  • Like (+1) 2

I’ve been watching football and the Bills since about 1964.   I was what can be termed as a rabid fan for many decades.  

I am now long past putting players on pedestals, or studying  stats and obsessing on the team.   I still watch the Bills every week, and I read the Bills articles, and I wait for the day they return to prominence.   As for the rest of the NFL, not so much.  I watch other games occasionally,  each year less and less.   I just don’t have the same respect for today’s players, and the  game in general, that I did in the past. Even though the level of athleticism continues to get higher.  

I will miss Kyle Williams a lot. He always impressed me as a throwback type player, with a personality and work ethic that took me back to older times.   True professional and class act.  I hope to see his name on the Bills WoF someday soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS changed the title to Kyle Williams: Officially Retires
48 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not bad for one of the best athletes to ever suit up for the Bills either.

This. He gets the lunch pail label for obvious reasons, but what made him an outstanding football player was TALENT. If lunch pails lead to success, we'd have had a similar thread dedicated to Tim Anderson a few years back.

• Like (+1) 1

Kyle Williams was a steal in an otherwise horrible 2006 draft class for the Bills.       Great overall career and easily the most memorable and respected player in the drought era.    Not sure if he is an NFL hall of famer but definitely deserves a spot in the Bills wall of fame.    Good person, good player and he will be missed. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Honestly for the sake of his career, this is the best time to call it. Made the playoffs which was awesome, gave it another go in a season that went downhill quick, and is now walking away with at least the playoff birth. 

He knows this team won't be contending for at least a couple years if everything pans out. We may have another tough season next year. Its tough how many vets we get back year after year to continually lose and it totally veils their career. 

Edited by Elite Poster

34 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

This. He gets the lunch pail label for obvious reasons, but what made him an outstanding football player was TALENT. If lunch pails lead to success, we'd have had a similar thread dedicated to Tim Anderson a few years back.

....awarded.....:thumbsup:

image.jpeg.1129d7cc120031609f2cdb3ad152c21c.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dgrochester55 said:

Kyle Williams was a steal in an otherwise horrible 2006 draft class for the Bills.       Great overall career and easily the most memorable and respected player in the drought era.    Not sure if he is an NFL hall of famer but definitely deserves a spot in the Bills wall of fame.    Good person, good player and he will be missed. 

2006 Draft Class.  We have had much worse, this draft is not horrible at all.  Kyle alone makes it good. 

Whitner is a lightning rod on this board but he played a lot of games and did well, despite being picked 20 slots too soon and being crucified for it.  McCargo was a bust, Yobouty a nothing.  Brad Butler was looking very good until injury cut his career short.  He was on a similar path as Kyle.  Keith Ellison did a decent job too. 

We got some games out of Simpson, Merz, and Pennington.  I have seen much worse, 

1 8 Donte Whitner SS Ohio State
1 26 John McCargo DT North Carolina State
3 70 Ashton Youboty CB Ohio State
4 105 Ko Simpson FS South Carolina
5 134 Kyle Williams DT Louisiana State
5 143 Brad Butler T Virginia
6 178 Keith Ellison OLB Oregon State
7 216 Terrance Pennington T New Mexico
7 248 Aaron Merz G

California 

Edited by Bob in STL

11 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

2006 Draft Class.  We have had much worse, this draft is not horrible at all.  Kyle alone makes it good. 

Whitner is a lightning rod on this board but he played a lot of games and did well, despite being picked 20 slots too soon and being crucified for it.  McCargo was a bust, Yobouty a nothing.  Brad Butler was looking very good until injury cut his career short.  He was on a similar path as Kyle.  Keith Ellison did a decent job too. 

We got some games out of Simpson, Merz, and Pennington.  I have seen much worse, 

1 8 Donte Whitner SS Ohio State
1 26 John McCargo DT North Carolina State
3 70 Ashton Youboty CB Ohio State
4 105 Ko Simpson FS South Carolina
5 134 Kyle Williams DT Louisiana State
5 143 Brad Butler T Virginia
6 178 Keith Ellison OLB Oregon State
7 216 Terrance Pennington T New Mexico
7 248 Aaron Merz G

California 

..McCarGONE was an anamoly......we move up to take him, bypassing Mangold and he busts....as fate would have it, we end up with the other 2/3 of the NC State Triangle ala Mario and Manny via FA, both productive Bills....go figure............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

56 minutes ago, JohninMinn. said:

In the history of retirements never was a player more overrated than Kyle Williams. It's ridiculous.

People will correctly scoff at this, but there was a time early in Kyle's career where the old school types didn't like him all that much. Didn't hold up well enough at the point of attack, etc. All he does is "make plays." I may be in the minority, but I like guys who make plays. I see a lot of the same criticism of Milano, who just "makes plays."

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

People will correctly scoff at this, but there was a time early in Kyle's career where the old school types didn't like him all that much. Didn't hold up well enough at the point of attack, etc. All he does is "make plays." I may be in the minority, but I like guys who make plays. I see a lot of the same criticism of Milano, who just "makes plays."

...perhaps the inglorious nature of "stats only" analysis?......aren't there certain positions that will never be BIG "stats positions"?....so he hung on for 13 years for NOT holding up?..could today's Star be in that category?....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy