McBeane will build a Wr Core of 2s & 3s.

BillsFan1988

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

Seems to be working well for the Rams.  I also think this is the approach we take.

I was thinking more New England. You can argue Cooks and even Kupp when healthy look like Borderline 1s. Even Woods though I don't consider slot WRs #1s.

7 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Hope you're right.  Maybe he'll be like Moulds - took him a while to catch on.

Back in the day, as with Moulds, it was typical for ALL WRs to take ~3 years to figure it out in the NFL.  

I suppose college offenses have changed in a way that makes them more ready, but they really can get better with some experience too.

11 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

WR Corps > WR Core.  At any rate, I believe the Bills need a legit #1 WR that will command the attention of opposing defenses on every play.  They may have the makings of that guy in Robert Foster, but if not they should acquire one. 

Most def. Not just as a decoy either but every team needs 'that guy' at WR.

This year its been Foster for us. I think Foster can develop but we should bring in an Eric Moulds to his Peerless Price.

11 hours ago, H2o said:

There are a couple of guys I think could end up being #1's from the draft. The guy I really want is Hakeem Butler from Iowa St., who reminds me of AJ Green, but hasn't declared yet. Parris Campbell reminds me a bit of OBJ. I also really like AJ Brown from Ole Miss. There is really no one in FA to pursue that fits the mold and most of these guys can be had after a trade down into the latter parts of Round 1 or on day two. 

DK Metcalf is a #1 WR prospect, and IMO the best WR prospect in this draft in terms of speed, size, and contested catches.  I mean you never know at the next level, but he will be the first WR off the board IMO as he is the full package. 

8 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I hope we can all recognize Beane is very poor at evaluating WRs which is an issue. Matter of fact the Panthers have been when Beane was they're too. They're best WR is a runningback lol.

2 teams with similar Quarterback accuracy issues with mediocre or straight up bad WRs.

Cam threw Steve Smith St for 1400 yards. Inaccuracy is mitigated when your WR is such a dog and gets open. You don't need big*** receivers with supposed catch radius' to catch Cam or JA's balls like Funchess or Kelvin. Need speedsters like Foster that just get consistently open

Lol, where do people come up with this stuff.  How is Beane "very poor" at scouting WR's?  When has he shown himself to be bad at scouting WRs, I mean he has been here ONE draft and its the ONLY draft in his career he was the GM of.

1. Zay was not drafted by Beane who was a member of the panthers at the time Zay was drafted. 
  2. They found Foster in UDFA this year and pounced on McKenzie quickly.  
  3. His highest position in Carolina was assistant GM, and he worked his way up to that.  He wasn't the one pulling all the triggers on draft day, so we have no idea how he scouts WR's and wasnt in that role when KB was drafted.
  4. Yes they traded for Coleman, but it was only a 7th to see if a fresh start could tap into his potential.  I love taking that chance on a guy who was just recently a first round pick and needing a fresh start.  Its a low risk chance with high reward potential.  And the best thing about Beane, he didn't try and make something work that wasnt just because he used a draft pick to acquire.  He didn't let his ego keep him from making what he felt was best decision.   

But here we go again, this board loves to build concrete conclusive statements on tiny sample sizes and presumed assumptions that aren't accurate.  Beane has actually done quite well finding young talent in his short time here and also managing the draft.  Its puzzling to me how so many people are so negative about him after one draft that he did pretty good in based on early results.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol, where do people come up with this stuff.  How is Beane "very poor" at scouting WR's?

1. Zay was not drafted by Beane who was a member of the panthers at the time Zay was drafted. 
  3. His highest position in Carolina was assistant GM, and he worked his way up to that.  He wasn't the one pulling all the triggers on draft day, so we have no idea how he scouts WR's and wasnt in that role when KB was drafted.
  4. Yes they traded for Coleman, but it was only a 7th to see if a fresh start could tap into his potential.  I love taking that chance on a guy who was just recently a first round pick and needing a fresh start.  Its a low risk chance with high reward potential.  And the best thing about Beane, he didn't try and make something work that wasnt just because he used a draft pick to acquire.  He didn't let his ego keep him from making what he felt was best decision.   

But here we go again, this board loves to build concrete conclusive statements on tiny sample sizes and presumed assumptions that aren't accurate.  Beane has actually done quite well finding young talent in his short time here and also managing the draft.  Its puzzling to me how so many people are so negative about him after one draft that he did pretty good in based on early results.  

That's fair, but I'm pretty sure Zay was a McDermott special. When you consider they didn't make a robust effort to address receiver in the offseason and combine that with Ray Ray and Proehl, it would seem that Beane thought Jones would improve more than he has. BB has a chance to make it right this off season, but there is certainly reason for concern.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol, where do people come up with this stuff.  How is Beane "very poor" at scouting WR's?

Don't really want to get into who drafted 2017 man, probably  McDermott: bad WR evaluator. Jordan Matthews. Kelvin Benjamin. Trade up for Zay ahead of a lot of promising WRs, Holmes, Philly Brown.

The fact it took the regime a year and a new Quarterback to realize they were awful. We cut all those guys we acquired in a minute.

Our receivers suck dude thats a pretty objective observation, and it'd be one thing if we didn't throw around 3rd rounders for people we'd cut in a year.

So it's like.. 5 crappy WRs we shouldn't have fielded to 1 good one in Foster. I'm not giving you Isaiah McKenzie as if that was some some brilliant move lol we should have several Isaiah McKenzie's.. that should be our expectation.. not several Andre Holmes'. WRs that are startable. Not an accomplishment it's an expectation.

And relax with the "you a Beane" hater nonsense. No one's perfect. And WR had been a shortcoming. They can obviously field capable starters in the secondary out of nowhere. That's a bangup job. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Pablocruise said:

I expect bean will look for value; relatively young guys that are healthy, with some upside.. I like the idea of spreading the money around ,developing a variety of weapons,limiting risk.

this sounds like a recipe for moneyball mediocrity.

you win with stallions. We need a few.  We've tried the team full of lunch pail high motor guys several times already.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Don't really want to get into who drafted 2017 man, probably  McDermott: bad WR evaluator. Jordan Matthews. Kelvin Benjamin. Trade up for Zay ahead of a lot of promising WRs, Holmes, Philly Brown.

The fact it took the regime a year and a new Quarterback to realize they were awful. We cut all those guys we acquired in a minute.

Our receivers suck dude thats a pretty objective observation, and it'd be one thing if we didn't throw around 3rd rounders for people we'd cut in a year.

So it's like.. 5 crappy WRs we shouldn't have fielded to 1 good one in Foster. I'm not giving you Isaiah McKenzie as if that was some some brilliant move lol we should have several Isaiah McKenzie's.. that should be our expectation.. not several Andre Holmes'. WRs that are startable. Not an accomplishment it's an expectation.

And relax with the "you a Beane" hater nonsense. No one's perfect. And WR had been a shortcoming. They can obviously field capable starters in the secondary out of nowhere. That's a bangup job. 

I dont care if you want to get into 2017 or not, because it's irrelevant.  Beane was a member of the Carolina Panthers when we drafted in 2017, he had literally zero to do with Zay.  So stop mentioning Zay as some way to discredit Beane.  Its utterly ridiculous to talk about trading up for Zay and Beane at the same time.  And even so, you guys act like Zay was some scrub prospect when he wasn't.  I mean its so easy to go back and say this and that, but on draft night, you dont know the future.  And on draft night, Zay was NOT a reach, he was the best WR on most peoples boards still.  But again, it does NOT matter as Beane was not a member of the Buffalo Bills when that pick happened.

So Beane has been here ONE draft where we used our PREMIUM picks for a QB, LB, DB, and DT...guess you expect us to find the next Antonio Brown in the late rounds or Beane sucks at drafting WRs right? lol.. 

I am not saying he is great at scouting WR's...I am saying we really have no idea because we haven't seen Beane YET go out and prioritize WR as we FIRST had to get a QB.  We will see what Beane can do this year as he knows and stated its a major priority this year.  if he swings and misses this year on bringing in more talent, then sure pile on him about WR's.  But we didn't have the luxury of drafting or spending money on FA's this past offseason.  Yet people keep acting like the product on the field was their "finished product".  There is a MAJOR difference in fielding a team and building a team...and they added some building blocks while also having to field some other guys at other positions because you cant rebuild an entire rosters holes in one draft.

Edited by Alphadawg7

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

you win with stallions. We need a few.  We've tried the team full of lunch pail high motor guys several times already.

I agree. I mean I don't know clearly what the OP is calling for but I think it's fine to have 3 playmaker-but-not-quite-elite types like Philly has done with Ertz, Jeffrey, and Agholor rather than the superstar-and-roleplayers-that-get-free types like the Falcons but they all need combine for a high caliber WR corp obviously. As with any good team with any position. 

If he's asking for less than the Eagles corps than heck no. I want 2 guys that give Foster a run for his money if that's the way we go. 3 solid WRs that compliment each other. All stallions.

Or an absolute stud opposite Foster (can we get away from these sexual horse descriptions ?)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

You're crazy. If we can find a Timmy Euhus in this draft, our offense will be immediately transformed. His can do spirit is infectious and will inspire his fellow TE group to play the game the right way and give 113.4%. Talent and speed are nothing without grit and lunch pails full of hard work and determination.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you are correct about this. McBean do not seem to want to run a star system here. They want to have a lot of interchangeable players who are good at their jobs. I think that a receiving corps like you described is likely, with the expectation that someplace along the way they may draft or acquire a true number one. However, I doubt they would they will burn a high draft pick for one in 2019.

This is hilarious. The first regime ever to not want star players. Get ready for the unemployment line.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, H2o said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/28/iowa-state-wr-butler-set-to-declare-for-draft/

Iowa St. WR Hakeem Butler, who reminds me a lot of AJ Green, is set to declare for the draft after tonight's Alamo Bowl. Tune in to ESPN @ 9:00pm to watch him and the Cyclones take on Washington St. 

Would love him in round 2

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont care if you want to get into 2017 or not, because it's irrelevant.  Beane was a member of the Carolina Panthers when we drafted in 2017, he had literally zero to do with Zay.  So stop mentioning Zay as some way to discredit Beane.  Its utterly ridiculous to talk about trading up for Zay and Beane at the same time.  And even so, you guys act like Zay was some scrub prospect when he wasn't.  I mean its so easy to go back and say this and that, but on draft night, you dont know the future.  And on draft night, Zay was NOT a reach, he was the best WR on most peoples boards still.  But again, it does NOT matter as Beane was not a member of the Buffalo Bills when that pick happened.

So Beane has been here ONE draft where we used our PREMIUM picks for a QB, LB, DB, and DT...guess you expect us to find the next Antonio Brown in the late rounds or Beane sucks at drafting WRs right? lol.. 

I am not saying he is great at scouting WR's...I am saying we really have no idea because we haven't seen Beane YET go out and prioritize WR as we FIRST had to get a QB.  We will see what Beane can do this year as he knows and stated its a major priority this year.  if he swings and misses this year on bringing in more talent, then sure pile on him about WR's.  But we didn't have the luxury of drafting or spending money on FA's this past offseason.  Yet people keep acting like the product on the field was their "finished product".  There is a MAJOR difference in fielding a team and building a team...and they added some building blocks while also having to field some other guys at other positions because you cant rebuild an entire rosters holes in one draft.

No man I'm saying we've missed on receivers. Simply for the fact that if these guys were nearly as good as dumpster diving for secondary we'd already have a great WR corps. People are good at evaluating some things better than others. 

We've traded a bit too much for guys we've tossed right away, and to your point, that's natural.. they have a lot of holes to fill and they haven't seriously had a real chance to address the position.

Let's drop Zay. I think he'll be fine on his own and I don't care for getting hung up on the receiver available that might outperform him.

The regime so far just has a pretty bad track record.. and I'm talking trades and general practical evaluation of Fielding competent starters (similar to Peterman and the quarterback fiasco). These are mistakes the regime had made on offense Fielding starters that don't belong in this league (AND EVERYBODY MAKES MISTAKES..not calling for his head) that give me pause about when they eventually choose to address the receiver position.

And like I said.. obviously Beane isn't omnificent.. hopefully the draft (but so far mainly NFL) scouting personnell that's been around is learning, improving, or changing.

We don't have a great track record so far. That's all I'm saying. To your point we haven't addressed it truly. And to your point we have a small sample size thus far... So why can't I be nervous about it ??

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

11 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

In fairness to Foster, he was an UDFA with very limited targets at Alabama - he could get a lot better now that he'll be a full-time pro.  His problems are mostly fixable with work.  Look how much better he got just taking a few weeks to improve between his two stints on the Bills roster.

There is a very good reason he didn't get many reps in college. He needs to learn to use his hands when he catches. Id be interested to see what percentage of WRs develop that skill after College.

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

There is a very good reason he didn't get many reps in college. He needs to learn to use his hands when he catches. Id be interested to see what percentage of WRs develop that skill after College.

I've heard from GM quotes that recievers virtually don't change their skillset and their learning curve when hitting the NFL is more about simply knowing your corner never lets you have it easy. Otherwise what they showed in college is what they bring to the table.

I know it's a fantasy football adage that WRs mature by year 3 and I assume it's them getting acquainted to their Quarterback and getting used to significantly better corners.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

9 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

No man I'm saying we've missed on receivers. Simply for the fact that if these guys were nearly as good as dumpster diving for secondary we'd already have a great WR corps. People are good at evaluating some things better than others. 

We've traded a bit too much for guys we've tossed right away, and to your point, that's natural.. they have a lot of holes to fill and they haven't seriously had a real chance to address the position.

Let's drop Zay. I think he'll be fine on his own and I don't care for getting hung up on the receiver available that might outperform him.

The regime so far just has a pretty bad track record.. and I'm talking trades and general practical evaluation of Fielding competent starters (similar to Peterman and the quarterback fiasco). These are mistakes the regime had made on offense Fielding starters that don't belong in this league (AND EVERYBODY MAKES MISTAKES..not calling for his head) that give me pause about when they eventually choose to address the receiver position.

And like I said.. obviously Beane isn't omnificent.. hopefully the draft (but so far mainly NFL) scouting personnell that's been around is learning, improving, or changing.

We don't have a great track record so far. That's all I'm saying. To your point we haven't addressed it truly. And to your point we have a small sample size thus far... So why can't I be nervous about it ??

Its totally fair to be skeptical or nervous about their ability to scout WR's.  What I addressed is that you were talking conclusively that Beane sucks at it and I was addressing the fact that there really isnt a body of work to make that statement.  He has only been a GM in the NFL for one draft, and in that draft they addressed additional needs with their higher picks. 

We won't know what Beane can do with the WR group until this offseason where he and McD have both been clear that they know they need to address it.  So, we will see what they do with cap space and draft picks in terms of WR this year.  

29 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

You're crazy. If we can find a Timmy Euhus in this draft, our offense will be immediately transformed. His can do spirit is infectious and will inspire his fellow TE group to play the game the right way and give 113.4%. Talent and speed are nothing without grit and lunch pails full of hard work and determination.

It's all about lunch pail, nose to the grindstone, blue collar, hand in the dirt, god fearing, family man, duly taxpayer, hatred of fun players. SIGN ME THE **** UP

• Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Can't be bothered going further back but there are some #1s on Super Bowl winning teams, though there are also plenty of teams that won without them. Demaryius, Cruz, Jennings and Harrison, at least, qualify.

2004 - steel curtain with Randle El and Hinez Ward