McBeane will build a Wr Core of 2s & 3s.

BillsFan1988

This is why instead of taking a small slot receiver who wasn’t even the best slot receiver on his team, Ray Ray, you draft the 6’5” equanimeous st brown who played with a qb who got benched this year because he couldn’t throw well.  ESB has 1 receiver ability.  

i have zero faith in this regime’s ability to scout offense.  They are terrible.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

"... put up 1600 on consistent basis," that's your qualification? Come on, man, there have only been 20 1600 yard seasons in the history of the NFL.

Megatron had two. Antonio Brown had two. Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt also. Those four are the only players to ever have more than one 1600 yard season, and nobody has had more than two.

And you want it done on a consistent basis? Jeez, dude, nobody has ever done it consistently.

Oh, and no, Hines Ward was absolutely not a raw young prospect when the Steelers won their most recent title. They won it in 2005, which was Ward's eighth season, when he was in his prime.

And while I hope you're right that we can find a Jennings, he had 1265 yards (4th in the league) and 12 TDs (T-2nd) and tallied 16.6 YPC (4th among guys with 50 or more catches) that year. It will not be easy. He was terrific and absolutely a #1.

I was talking bout Sanders and Brown as raw prospects the yr they faced Packers in Superbowl.

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

#2 guys are getting paid like starters. It’s not like a few years back with guys playing for $5 mil. It’s a premium position with limited depth 

Hunh? #2 guys ARE starters.

Do you mean #2 guys are getting paid like #1s? If that's what you mean, I'd disagree. There are only 13 guys getting paid over $13 mill a year average. And most of them are #1s or look to get there soon, though Sammy Watkins and Jarvis Landry are in there and I think both of them are overpaid.

Agree with the rest of your post, though.

1 hour ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Some of these guys u meantioned are not what i will call elite #1 Wrs, DT yea he won a Superbowl and yes he was elite at that time. But Julio, Fitz, Bolden they never won as defacto #1s. Bolden was at the end of his career in Baltimore. Plax wasn't an elite guy he had good seasons but never put up 1600 yds on consistent basis. All teams have a #1 Wr but only a few are truly gm breaker elite status and most of them never won anything. The Steelers had a great Corps with Plax, Hines Ward and Sanders & Brown were young raw prospects at the time not #1 guys but great role players. Even when Rodgers won it with the Pack he did it with a good corps. We can find a Jennings type #1 . Im just basically saying i dont see McBeane going after a diva type guy that wants 10-12 targets again.

Point is when a WR turns on the jets they take over games and can be the different. Plax was paid like and treated as a number 1, and his Packers performance alone helped the Giants advance in 2007. I'm not talking about Plax's career.. in 2007 he was the exact number 1 tyoe WR OP is talking about. I'm talking about how each team built a SB winning team with a top WR (like the Giants and Plax) and at some point in the playoffs or SB they were the difference maker.

Wilson and Brady make exceptional use of spreading the ball around to everyone. Most other quarterbacks are mortal and need their guy (or 2). I'm fine with the way the Eagles approached WRs and if that's the mMcD way.. we just saw it work. I don't think the top WR route hurts either. This is more on another subject, but it IMO it largely depends on how your quarterback tends to use his WRs. Foles' bombs to Jeffrey are clinical and much more dangerous than Wentz can be. Not that Foles is a better quarterback, but Jeffrey makes it so for Foles and not Wentz. We need to see what Allen does best with IMO. Of course we have to test out this WR by committee theory to see if Allen spreads it around (I think he likes having 2 reliable targets and money spent on having too much depth goes to waste).

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is why instead of taking a small slot receiver who wasn’t even the best slot receiver on his team, Ray Ray, you draft the 6’5” equanimeous st brown who played with a qb who got benched this year because he couldn’t throw well.  ESB has 1 receiver ability.  

i have zero faith in this regime’s ability to scout offense.  They are terrible.

I have little faith in your ability to scout offense if you think that anyone can already know that St. Brown has #1 ability. The guy has 328 yards and zero touchdowns while being thrown to by Rodgers. And it's not like he's being kept out of the lineup by great guys ahead of him. He's behind Davante Adams and ... the #2 receiver in yards is Valdez-Scantling, another rookie.

You also don't know that Ray Ray won't be good. Like St. Brown he's a rookie. In neither case do the teams know what they have and in neither case are the odds very high for a long career, much less becoming a #1.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

I have little faith in your ability to scout offense if you think that anyone can already know that St. Brown has #1 ability. The guy has 328 yards and zero touchdowns while being thrown to by Rodgers. And it's not like he's being kept out of the lineup by great guys ahead of him. He's behind Davante Adams and ... the #2 receiver in yards is Valdez-Scantling, another rookie.

You also don't know that Ray Ray won't be good. Like St. Brown he's a rookie. In neither case do the teams know what they have and in neither case are the odds very high for a long career, much less becoming a #1.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Ray Ray won't be good. I have no idea if St. Brown will become a legit WR, but he's got a much better chance than Austin McCloud. Beane has to have a better offensive draft in 2019 than he did in 2018 or he may not be making selections in 2020.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

He has #1 receiver ability.  But you’re right.  I would bet a lot of money on a 5’9”, slower, guy who averaged 9.7 ypc and 4 career tds (playing 2 years with Deshaun Watson) will have a better career than ESB, who is 6’5” runs a 4.4 had 13 tds and averaged 16 ypc (playing with a qb who got benched because he couldn’t throw).  

But it was even better following it up with another slot receiver because you were friends with his dad.  

In late rounds, it’s about upside.  The Bills picked guys with no upside.  And ESB might never get there, but I would have liked to see him andcJosh Allen try to grow together.  2 dudes with tons of upside. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He has #1 receiver ability.  But you’re right.  I would bet a lot of money on a 5’9”, slower, guy who averaged 9.7 ypc and 4 career tds (playing 2 years with Deshaun Watson) will have a better career than ESB, who is 6’5” runs a 4.4 had 13 tds and averaged 16 ypc (playing with a qb who got benched because he couldn’t throw).  

But it was even better following it up with another slot receiver because you were friends with his dad.  

I hope we can all recognize Beane is very poor at evaluating WRs which is an issue. Matter of fact the Panthers have been when Beane was they're too. They're best WR is a runningback lol.

2 teams with similar Quarterback accuracy issues with mediocre or straight up bad WRs.

Cam threw Steve Smith St for 1400 yards. Inaccuracy is mitigated when your WR is such a dog and gets open. You don't need big*** receivers with supposed catch radius' to catch Cam or JA's balls like Funchess or Kelvin. Need speedsters like Foster that just get consistently open

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

1 minute ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I hope we can all recognize Beane is very poor at evaluating WRs which is an issue. Matter of fact the Panthers have been when Beane was they're too. They're best WR is a runningback lol.

2 teams with similar Quarterback accuracy issues with mediocre or straight up bad WRs.

They're gonna have to come up with a home run pick at WR this year to make up for the Zay Jones debacle.(Yes, yes, I know. Beane wasn't here!!!!!! Beane is great, etc. etc.)

That pick really looks like a killer considering the other available WR's. When your plan is to gut the roster and build through the draft, you damn well better draft well. That's kind of the deal. Of course the team that does it best got JuJu and we got Zay.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

They're gonna have to come up with a home run pick at WR this year to make up for the Zay Jones debacle.(Yes, yes, I know. Beane wasn't here!!!!!! Beane is great, etc. etc.)

That pick really looks like a killer considering the other available WR's. When your plan is to gut the roster and build through the draft, you damn well better draft well. That's kind of the deal. Of course the team that does it best got JuJu and we got Zay.

We need to poach Steelers WR scouts. Best WR drafting in NFL history.. idk if that's even hyperbole.

The GM said he has a really simple approach to evaluate WRs in college for pros. WR is one if the few positions where what you see is what you get in the NFL. None of this risky high reward type commodities Beane and Panthers have been all about getting big lugs hoping it's Megatron. just draft guys you see with NFL route running, catching, aggression, speed, size that's USED to advantage.. all that jazz. Those skills translate directly to NFL like few other positions. So find a guy you like and draft 1 every year rounds 3-7 and you get Sanders, Wallace,  Brown, and JuJu in a span of 7 years. 

Nervous about blowing draft and cap capital on WRs since these guys seem so poor with it. I'd argue don't invest too heavily in that since I'm much more confident they know defense and OL better than WR.

And if ya do want to break the bank on a WR Beane. Poach a better WR talent evaluator. Preferably from the Steelers NOT PANTHERS.

This dude signed Philly Brown!

So I agree with OP's idea about getting lower tier high depth guys in draft that can pan out. More because of McBeane's incompetence so far than it being a master strategy to building a team lol.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

There are a lot of 3s in FA.  No 1s and maybe a couple of 2s.  I expect us to sign one 3 and draft a 2 that will likely be our 1.

Yeah that's kind of what I meant by "relative'. Depends on the talent level of the particular team. A guy waho was a #1 on his colled team probably wont step in as and NFL: #1

35 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Of course the team that does it best got JuJu and we got Zay.

Oof I looked up the WRs in that draft and it was hard to miss! Draft 2 guys if you really want to make an effort at that position.

JuJu, Cooper Kupp, Kenny Golladay, DeDe Westbrook (I'm a fan), and our boy Isaiah McKenzie.

Golladay's going to be a stud.

Roughly 15 of the top 20 WRs in the league were drafted in the 2nd round or later and most of them could be categorized as #1s.

There are probably a few #1s in this draft that will be had after rd 1.

The trick is picking them - or bugging the Steelers - or hiring their scouts, because they seem to stack em up, every year.

6 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I like Marquise Brown a lot. He may only be 5'10 160 but so what? Antonio Brown is the same size. He may need to hit the weight room but he can be a #1. Perfect target for Josh Allen with that cannon of an arm. Brown comes in day 1 and starts.

You're not alone. This kid is fast and with Foster on the other side it would be a nightmare matchup for opposing safeties. FA Ty Williams and maybe M. Brown falls to early 2nd round.  Then cut Ray Ray....

• Awesome! (+1) 1