McBeane will build a Wr Core of 2s & 3s.

BillsFan1988

When studying what's available via the draft , free agency and potentially via trade at the Wr position . Iv'e come to the realization that the best way to fix and build our Wr core will be by adding multiple guys that fit as #2 or #3 Wrs in a NFL offense. There is no true #1 Wr available unless u want to give up major assets in return and i dont see McBeane selling our future for a old Wr like Aj Green on his last legs . 

Matter of fact i believe building a core of 2s and 3s is better then having a true #1 franchise Wr with a solid cast around him. Just look at the facts how many titles does guys like Brown, OBJ , Evans, Aj or even Calvin have ? Zero is the answer .

It can be argued that having a target monster is bad for development of a young franchise QB . Because

Having a stud diva Wr will put unneccasary pressure on Allen to force feed him . This is usually great for fantasy football but in the real world it stunts the growth of QBs because they tend to focus in on there star instead of going threw there progressions in a timely matter. With that being said its better to have an overall talented core of guys that fit roles. U need your burners , possiesion type chain movers, red zone targets etc etc. 

Not only does it help your young QB learn how to play his position the right way. It also helps with the way defenses approach stopping u. If u dont have a true target monster for defenses to try to stop and gm plan for then opposing DCs will try to project instead who will be your #1 wr on any givin week. This gives the offense the advantage in my opinion. Having 4 to 5 guys that can be feed on a moments notice puts alot of strain on opposing secondaries. Especially when u go 4 and 5 wr sets because most defenese get really thin at the #4 and #5 corner spots. This will open up some big time mismatches that offenses can exploit. This has bascially been the Pats model when they were winning superbowls in the early 2000s and the Steelers when Ben won his first 2 rings. 

Last but not least not having a true #1 Wr is also good for your salary cap space as franchise #1s get paid big money in todays NFL.  Well if u ask me its basically paying a guy big money to get locked up by opposing # 1 star corners . Those that play fantasy football know this all to well. With all this being said its on McBeane if they follow this model to bring in the right guys to fill the roles they need and to put this recipe to the test and if done right can be beneficial to long term winning in todays NFL. 

• Like (+1) 5

I think you are correct about this. McBean do not seem to want to run a star system here. They want to have a lot of interchangeable players who are good at their jobs. I think that a receiving corps like you described is likely, with the expectation that someplace along the way they may draft or acquire a true number one. However, I doubt they would they will burn a high draft pick for one in 2019.

• Like (+1) 2

There are a couple of guys I think could end up being #1's from the draft. The guy I really want is Hakeem Butler from Iowa St., who reminds me of AJ Green, but hasn't declared yet. Parris Campbell reminds me a bit of OBJ. I also really like AJ Brown from Ole Miss. There is really no one in FA to pursue that fits the mold and most of these guys can be had after a trade down into the latter parts of Round 1 or on day two. 

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

There are a couple of guys I think could end up being #1's from the draft. The guy I really want is Hakeem Butler from Iowa St., who reminds me of AJ Green, but hasn't declared yet. Parris Campbell reminds me a bit of OBJ. I also really like AJ Brown from Ole Miss. There is really no one in FA to pursue that fits the mold and most of these guys can be had after a trade down into the latter parts of Round 1 or on day two. 

I agree this draft can and will have #1 wrs but it will take time for these guys to grow into the stars they can be. There's no clear cut #1s from the first day in this draft.

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone probably has their own definition of "#1 WR"., as it depends on the system and roster talent. It can be a 'relative" term . However; if Bills add a "true #1" that moves Foster and Jones down the depth chart and improves the depth ,so.for example, you might not have to use Philips or McCloud..
Recently guys like Watkins have gotten ridiculously high salaries  and there arent going to be many WRs like that available. II expect bean will look for value; relatively young guys that are healthy, with some upside.. I like the idea of spreading the money around ,developing a variety of weapons,limiting risk.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, H2o said:

There are a lot of 3s in FA.  No 1s and maybe a couple of 2s.  I expect us to sign one 3 and draft a 2 that will likely be our 1.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

When studying what's available via the draft , free agency and potentially via trade at the Wr position . Iv'e come to the realization that the best way to fix and build our Wr core will be by adding multiple guys that fit as #2 or #3 Wrs in a NFL offense. There is no true #1 Wr available unless u want to give up major assets in return and i dont see McBeane selling our future for a old Wr like Aj Green on his last legs . 

Matter of fact i believe building a core of 2s and 3s is better then having a true #1 franchise Wr with a solid cast around him. Just look at the facts how many titles does guys like Brown, OBJ , Evans, Aj or even Calvin have ? Zero is the answer .

It can be argued that having a target monster is bad for development of a young franchise QB . Because

Having a stud diva Wr will put unneccasary pressure on Allen to force feed him . This is usually great for fantasy football but in the real world it stunts the growth of QBs because they tend to focus in on there star instead of going threw there progressions in a timely matter. With that being said its better to have an overall talented core of guys that fit roles. U need your burners , possiesion type chain movers, red zone targets etc etc. 

Not only does it help your young QB learn how to play his position the right way. It also helps with the way defenses approach stopping u. If u dont have a true target monster for defenses to try to stop and gm plan for then opposing DCs will try to project instead who will be your #1 wr on any givin week. This gives the offense the advantage in my opinion. Having 4 to 5 guys that can be feed on a moments notice puts alot of strain on opposing secondaries. Especially when u go 4 and 5 wr sets because most defenese get really thin at the #4 and #5 corner spots. This will open up some big time mismatches that offenses can exploit. This has bascially been the Pats model when they were winning superbowls in the early 2000s and the Steelers when Ben won his first 2 rings. 

Last but not least not having a true #1 Wr is also good for your salary cap space as franchise #1s get paid big money in todays NFL.  Well if u ask me its basically paying a guy big money to get locked up by opposing # 1 star corners . Those that play fantasy football know this all to well. With all this being said its on McBeane if they follow this model to bring in the right guys to fill the roles they need and to put this recipe to the test and if done right can be beneficial to long term winning in todays NFL. 

I have no problem with this approach as long as it includes us drafting and/or obtaining a pass catching stud tight end. A red zone/3rd down threat at the tight end position could do wonders for the offense and give Allen the safety blanket he needs to keep the chains moving and score touchdowns in the red zone.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Trade a 4th for AJ Green. 

Take Marquise Brown in the 2nd.

All of a sudden we have a WR corps of AJ Green, Robert Foster, Marquise Brown, Zay Jones, Isiaah McKenzie. That's a pretty formidable WR corps.

I disagree.  I'd be willing to give up a washing machine, maybe a washer-dryer set, but nothing more. 

To me a #1 demands double teams and still makes plays.  Those are rare and cost tons.  I can see the value of having several guys perhaps not at that level but capable of running good routes, getting separation, and above all having reliable hands.

I'm not sure we have even #2's right now on the roster.  I thought Zay would be good when we drafted him, but he has not shown good separation ability and worst his hands are iffy - who would have predicted that from the guy who set an NCAA record?  foster is unreliable catching the ball, although he can get separation.  McKenzie is unreliable catching the ball.  So is Croom at TE.

Could some of these guys still contribute?  Maybe, if they had more solid guys above them that take some pressure off of them.  I just think we need two more solid WRs, and solid TE, and then we also have to figure out how to add at least three new O linemen plus replace Shady.  Should be a very interesting offseason - you can't fix all of this but you have to make a sizable dent in it if you're Beane.

1 hour ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Just look at the facts how many titles does guys like Brown, OBJ , Evans, Aj or even Calvin have ?

Not saying you need true #1s but this argument is silly. Barring Seahawks and Patriots SBs, plenty of star WRs won or were a big contribution to at least getting there. You can point to any position group and name the best players that haven't won.

Julio Jones, Demarious Thomas, Anquan Boldin, Fitzgerald, Plaxico Burress, Alshon Jeffrey etc all had a huge impact. Arguably none of those teams would have won without those guys (Plax v Packers carried the Giants to the SB, Fitz like broke the record for WR yards in a playoff run.. he was Warner's sole offense, Bolding bailed out Flacco on many close games, Jeffrey is the king of catching Nick Foles bombs.. without him Foles doesn't have the games he had)

Brown has won a title btw but I get your point he wasn't a #1. Those Steelers just had 4 #1s on the roster.

I don't care how we assemble the corps I just want to get great WRs. If it's more a committee type like we see in Philly with Jeffrey and Agholor then sure.. call them #2s or 1a and 1b. you still need them to be GOOD. I'm fine with getting Foster legit competition and seeing how he stacks up. He's like a young Agholor right now and we can get a Jeffrey type to compliment him and challenge him. 

So I agree to your point we don't need a do-it-all high priced #1. But it's not bad thing to go after that whatsoever. Maybe we don't need to go for an incumbent vet, but grab a lot of youth and see what sticks. We need someone opposite of Foster that's just as good if not better, and I'll be happy. That's 2 #2s if that's what you're vouching for, but I don't see the point other than we need more talent and more depth simultaneously. Talented WRs are not a bad thing whatsoever.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

WR Corps > WR Core.  At any rate, I believe the Bills need a legit #1 WR that will command the attention of opposing defenses on every play.  They may have the makings of that guy in Robert Foster, but if not they should acquire one. 

Hopefully they can get to the corp of this problem and come up with a solution.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you are correct about this. McBean do not seem to want to run a star system here. They want to have a lot of interchangeable players who are good at their jobs. I think that a receiving corps like you described is likely, with the expectation that someplace along the way they may draft or acquire a true number one. However, I doubt they would they will burn a high draft pick for one in 2019.

Not unlike a team that has dominated the AFCE for 20 years